• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New cube

Aqua360

Good afternoon all :)

I am beginning to plan for a new 25x25x25cm optiwhite cube, and aspire to create an iwagumi as in the image attached below.

I have a nano heater, and the Fluval 20 co2 kit, (bulky, but clear plastic so I'm hoping isn't too intrusive), and plan on running a very small sponge filter, powered by a nano pump.

The main concerns I see are:

- hiding the small circular sponge filter. I'd use clear tubing, and possibly hide behind some rockwork; would be interesting to see if anyone else has tried this.

- nano heater being obtrusive with its black colour, would it be feasible to remove if plants are carpet, and stocked with red cherry shrimp?

- I have heard good things about the IKEA jansjo led lamp, and would really like to use it for the cube...though the feasibility to grow carpet plants is one concern, as well as the photoperiod. I would actually welcome a slower growing set-up for the plants.

Ideally I'm going to try and keep my costs down, hence no plans for external filtration etc; just a small side project i'd like to try :)

thanks in advance for comments,

Colin

Attachments

• iwagumi cube.jpg
    iwagumi cube.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 381
this could also be an option to hide the sponge filter perhaps, with bushy slow growing plants at the back

Attachments

• cube background grass.jpg
    cube background grass.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 134
Hi Aqua, Nice project.

Not sure about the light as its not IP rated:eek: If it gets damp or falls in the water it could kill you.

:wideyed: ok, may reconsider that light...

it was more to serve as a spotlight, but yeah alternatives may have to be considered! :lol:

although, based on the alternative led shown above, will have to work out the photoperiod; in case of algae etc, i'm hopeless with working out light intensity etc. Something I need to research!

Looks good :)

I use garden a flood light 30w 6500k It IP rated for damp and water splashing. It sits on a plastic cover over the glass of the tank. So if the glass brakes the light is still supported.

031_zpsfd8081e0.jpg

This is an old scape. plants grew well :) The tank is now in a cupboard with the light fixed to the shelf above :) Or you can fix them to a floating shelf depending where the tank is sited
021_zpsirhppfnf.jpg

Looks good :)

I use garden a flood light 30w 6500k It IP rated for damp and water splashing. It sits on a plastic cover over the glass of the tank. So if the glass brakes the light is still supported.

View attachment 84408

This is an old scape. plants grew well :) The tank is now in a cupboard with the light fixed to the shelf above :) Or you can fix them to a floating shelf depending where the tank is sited
View attachment 84410

that wood is awesome

It's frustrating I can't take pictures just now, I have a seriously wonky Nexus 5 phone; with a botched, temperamental camera at the moment :(

Back