• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Does @Delirious know she is doing the maintenance?

I can see it now, Geoffers junior maintains the 600. Arian doing the 1200. You sitting there beer in one hand dennerle extendable net in the other pointing with the occasional whack. When they’ve done they’ll both clap you to show how well you’ve done! :lol:

you’ll be setting up your own brand of luxury aquarium scaping goods next! This time next year Rodders......!

_what-wtf-meme-freetoedit-february-14-and-february.png

Looking forward to seeing the scape. @Delirious produced an amazing first one.

Will be great and hopefully fun creating it. Expect nothing less. Things have moved on some since that first scape. Can’t beat a fast learner.

Last edited:
@DeepMetropolis will probably be moving the sump system across to the 1200. Albeit with a larger sump tank to handle the additional water volume, but still using the wet dry filter box and overflow unit.

Do you run alot more co2 instead of a cannister setup?

Depends on how good your design is. Put a 6KG bottle on the AS600 end of August last year. Still running on the same bottle now in March and still high pressure from the cylinder. Tank is 100l plus 15l-20l for sump and overflow box running 30-50ppm of dissolved Co2. Depending on the design of your return system, you can dissolve a lot of co2 before it hits the outflow by deliberately designing in turbulence - with 90 degree bends and placing your diffuser in front of the return pump so the co2 mist gets churned up. Increases efficiency without resorting to a reactor.

The level of dissolved Co2 being preserved is equal to the efficiency of your design. What I’ve published in taking-a-sump-back-in-five-minutes is a fairly fool proof design that allows for a high level of efficiency. Nothing fancy though... a £5 box with a lid from a DIY shop and an old Dennerke 55l tank and glass lid repurposed. Was meant to be a replicable blueprint for anyone who fancies a go.

Surface is skimmed, but the only major drop the water takes is into the filter box (which is well sealed) and when it trickles over the media underneath it (also well sealed compartment). Means most of what is gassed off in these chambers gets dissolved back in on balance. But having your media suspended in air with water trickling over gives a great o2 advantage for bacteria populating the media as well. So a thought out design that incorporates this attribute, without loss of co2, is worth the design effort for those that want that.

Last edited:
Grow some veg every year @Wookii and being the weirdo that I am I’ve grown veg under all sorts of fixtures in empty spare tanks :lol: Used to grow tomato plants in the cupboard in the middle of winter when we lived in a flat just to try it.

It really is ideal... 22-23C constant, strong LED lighting, easy to control soil moisture. Hardly anything fails to germinate and if things are growing too fast before the weather becomes ideal to plant outside, reduce the lighting period - slow the growth until its time.

This year though yes, COVID-19 has presented much uncertainty. It’s a mixed income area where I live so the spare plants will be handed to my nearest neighbours should getting out become a bit tougher for some of them. I’ve enough salts to keep their plants growing for the season or will chuck them some tomorite from the shed.

Anyone who’s grown courgettes knows that one plant is enough to ensure you never want to see a courgette ever again after the summer :lol:

Supply chain on a local level.

Shhh.... :shh: You saw nothing!!!

Nice @Siege may be getting a sourdough culture going again soon if you fancy a different loaf occasionally.

As for the tom’s and peppers depending on the yield I may be getting some sauces and salsa going too. Tank may be used for salad, rocket and herbs once I can shift this first round outdoors as well.

Back