• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Rio 180 set up

I'll see how they get on(only got10) and probably get some more. Nice to see a little bit of wildlife in the tank. I'll probably spend even more time now sitting and watching them. I know they can't keep a whole tank clean but as you say Tim it's nice to see them munching away on the mould
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As nice as a healthy planted tank looks its not complete until there's some creatures in there interacting.

Managed to get the Otto's after work today. Put them on a drip for a couple of hours and then added them to the tank.

yta6aga3.jpg
re6e2y3u.jpg

Have only seen 3 shrimp all evening. Put 10 in yesterday. Do they only come out when it's dark !!!!!!

Still struggling with the mould/ algae on the wood. Does any one have any ideas what it is. Lights are on for 8 hours at the moment. Should I reduce this??
Pictures of the wood

ha4uhy8a.jpg
tudy4una.jpg

CO2 on for 8 hours, 2 hr before lights on/off. If I reduce the lights should I reduce the CO2 by the same amount?
Alternate daily dosing with Macro/Micro and 50% WC twice a week.
I keep scrubbing this off with a toothbrush and suck it up the syphon pipe but by the next WC it's back as much as this again;(

Cheers Tim, it just looks bad so i wasn't sure what it was.i'll just keep brushing it off and sucking up the syphon pipe and hopefully it'll eventually clear up.I've just read something about adding amano shrimp to a tank.It says that the CO2 should be turned off the day that you put them in .I didn't do this and now think that i may have killed them as i've only seen 2 all night (i put 10 in yesterday).do you ave any experience with shrimp!!!

Plenty of experience killing them mate lol tried keeping cardinia species for a couple of years in London tap water lfs saying yeah they'll be fine finicky little buggers shrimp in all honesty your amanos should be fine with co2 I drip acclimatise mine with it on for a few hours they have to get used to it in a planted tank I just do it slowly ammonia nitrite etc upset shrimp more than co2 IME I'm also very wary of using any liquid carbon products in any of my shrimp tanks they don't seem to get on with liquid carbon in my tanks have read other people having no probs at all using it though in my experience shrimp can be elusive mate depending on the fish they are kept with I've found amanos quite robust though shame they are hard to breed keep an eye out for corpses keep doing your water changes I'm sure all will be good :thumbup:

CheersTim. Did a 50% water change yesterday. Saw a few more shrimp after that, must have been all the bubbles in the tank. Popped into my local PAH on the way home. Not impressed with the livestock but picked up a few plants, all tropica, bit of a surprise!
Got some more Pogostomen Heferi to fill up the root area, a Pogostomen Erectus on the left side, an Alternanathera Reineckii pink to go at the back and a lovely bit of wood pre planted with large bit of fern which I've put at the front on the left
Looking nice. Filling out a bit now.
Decided to turn down the photoperiod to 6 hours to see if it will help with the issues on the wood
Pictures of the latest plants

eqy2egu2.jpg
avuguby9.jpg
a6uru6yj.jpg
su6age5u.jpg

I shouldn't worry too much about the Amano's yet, there's plenty of nooks & crannies for them to be hiding out in.
Didn't see any of mine for 2 weeks after i first put them into my Rio. :)

Came home today and most of them were out frolicking. I've added a load more plants today. It needed filling up. Looks greener now. Probably too much but I can cut them back once they mature. Got another Alternanthera Reineckii pink to go at the back with the other one, another Pogostemon Erectus to go with the other one and 3 pots of Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis for the foreground
Photos of the planting

yjeqezum.jpg
6arequgu.jpg
hyjuquma.jpg

Hi Tim, I got the Otto's from Maidenhead Aquatics in Iver and the Amano's from Ashford Aquatics.
My son got away from work early and went to Maidenhead Aquatics in Wembley today. I need to go there!! This place is huge with loads of stuff.
Whilst working in London I've been to Aquatic Design Centre in Great Portland Street. They've got a lot of good stuff in there and a lot of planted tanks. Got a few of the plants from here. Recent plants were from P@H in Feltham & Brentford. What about you mate?

Didn't know there was an MA in Syon park !!

I'll have to go and have a look as well as the huge one at Wembley

Hi everyone, well it's been a week since my last post. Everything's going well. Plants are looking good. Especially the Reineckii pink at the back which is now higher than the wood. The Lilaeopsos in the foreground seems to be shooting up , I'll have to trim this down to strengthen the roots. The Riccia in the breeding trap is also flourishing but I still haven't made my mind up yet where to use it. The hair like film on the wood seems to be slowing down at last. I had a bit of a problem in the week. When I got home on Tuesday the DC was almost bright yellow and the Ottos looked really ill. I managed to net them out and put them into some fresh water and did a 50% water change. Introduced them about an hour later and they've been fine since. Not sure what happened with the CO2 but its been fine since. My son went to FreshwaterShrimp on Friday and got me 6 more Amano's and 10 Red Rilli shrimp. These were drip aclimatised for 2 hours then slowly added. Seem happy in their new surroundings. Whilst there he also got me some weeping moss on mesh. I've added that to all of the twigs. That's really it now for planting just them all grow and mature
Finally some pictures
This is now the end of week 4
Cheers
Martin
va4u5y9e.jpg
equtu5yv.jpg
4emebu5a.jpg
4epenaqu.jpg

Filling out nicely :thumbup:

Hi all, 2 weeks since my last post. Not a lot done really other than the water changes and some prunning. All the plants are doing really well except the pogo erectus which seems to be wilting, could be because its under the arch and in the shade. Weeping moss seems to be growing albeit slowly. Going to get some cardinals shortly, a nice shoal and fancy a blue Siamese fighter. Should look nice amongst the expanse of greenery. Any advice on the fighter mixing with the cardinals and red Rilli shrimp and amano's appreciated. Here's some piccies now 6 weeks

5uvy6e4e.jpg
syrysu3u.jpg
8asasyju.jpg
ujeje7up.jpg

Regards
Martin

Lovely :) I use that little breeding box for plant trimmings/cuttings too! Very handy :)

Back