• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to co2

Also, what's the difference between fe co2 and specific aquarium ones? Someone said to me fe isn't food grade so might not be safe for aquariums....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience it's worth reading up on fire extinguisher set-ups before going for an all in one JBL kit. I went for a JBL u500 set-up but quickly moved to a 2KG FE and dual reg/gauge from CO2 Art. I managed to get a FE from eBay for £20 delivered and the high-end gauge for £60. So far very pleased.

With a 300l tank you will get through quite a bit of CO2, so I would advise against getting a small system, unless you do as Tim suggests and make sure the reg will work on larger tanks later.
In general it seems the bigger the tank the (much) cheaper the gas. I have a 6.35kg beer gas cylinder, cost £90 to buy, full, and £24 per fill. With a CO2 supermarket reg at about 50 odd quid. I'll bet that works out not much different to what MA would charge for a little JBL system?
I recently got the DD complete system from Aquaessentials for a nano tank. This will take small (500 or 600g) welding gas cylinders which are cheaper and very widely available (I hope, I haven't tried this yet), working v well but would last no time on my 350l tank.

Thanks, I'm still thinking about the fe system, got a lot of the bits apart from the solenoid and the fe but I like the idea of a larger cylinder. Where did you buy the beer has cylinder from?

I found a local Calor Gas place that also did tall pub gas CO2 - might be worth asking. I went with FE as I had no way of hiding a tall cylinder. I understand if you use a pub cylinder you need an adapter so that the regulator doesn't catch on the frame/cradle on the top of the cylinder. On FE the thread for the reg is on the side but on pub ones it is on the top and protected. Hopefully someone else can explain better!!

I get what you mean maximum. I'll have to make some more phone calls tomorrow!

I lost track of the phone calls I made trying to find FE and also pricing up refills - it was hard work.:)

Back