• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newby to the site

As for soil I will look at all the options
and do plenty of research. There is loads of good threads on here to look through

Your right about good threads, almost to many :) as far a substrate goes i think some people choose because of price, some because of brand (ADA) and some because they have really done their research. I think as long as people use EI then i'm not too sure if it matters (compaction issues are the only thing that comes to mind).

Jim

Hi Jim How are things going ? Any updates :)

Just waiting on an Up CO2 controller and some more plants, have changed the fish to a single species tank, when i say single species i mean ottos and neons. Have added riccia to the tank, just letting it grow a bit more and then add it to some of the wood.

Trying to decide on flow.... i have a fluval 206 on a 90l tank, i have two powerheads just trying to decide on best combo.

Snails... Grrr..... Am having a real battle with them, i have assassin snails to help, as well as squashing them whenever i see one. I brought a snail trap but all i got was neons, they are far to inquisitive for there own good.

Small battle with algae (GSA) but nothing serious.

Will add some pics over the next couple of days.
Jim

Hi Jim,
Glad to hear all going well :thumbup: Snails I know what you mean PITA :rage: I think pest snails breed faster than the assassins can eat them :eek: Another thing you can do is blanch a lettuce leaf tie a length of cotton to it so its easy to pull out, Leave in the tank over night. Take it out in the morning hopefully there will be some snails on it then just repeat.Its slow but helps.

Looking forward to the photos ;)

most effective way to get rid of snails in manual removal everyday with an airline syphon. The snails also stick to the bucket so you can put the water right back, in a couple of weeks it will be very manageable as long as your not over feeding.

Hi Jim,
Glad to hear all going well :thumbup: Snails I know what you mean PITA :rage: I think pest snails breed faster than the assassins can eat them :eek: Another thing you can do is blanch a lettuce leaf tie a length of cotton to it so its easy to pull out, Leave in the tank over night. Take it out in the morning hopefully there will be some snails on it then just repeat.Its slow but helps

I have tried kale, didn't work :( will give blanched lettuce leaf ago, anything to get rid of the PITA.... i have been removing the larger ones and squashing the smaller ones up to this point, up and down from chair every 20-30 min. As for the assassin snails they have been dying off one by one, i think the pest snails are just too small for them. Hope your tanks are going ok: Another Aquascape & The Cube will check them out later today. Cheers for the advise Roy :thumbup:

most effective way to get rid of snails in manual removal everyday with an airline syphon. The snails also stick to the bucket so you can put the water right back, in a couple of weeks it will be very manageable as long as your not over feeding.

Will give this ago every morning Iain, post coffee obviously :) every little helps. Is your tank The Wood Pile still going? Thanks for the advise :thumbup:

Here goes with a crappy phone pic of my tank after adding some more plants
20150614_074036_zpsged7bgxm.jpg

The plant list:
Monte carlo
Pogostemon
Riccia
Microsorum trident
Anubias nana mini
Ammania sp. bonsai

The fish list:
20 neon tetras
1 Betta splendens
10 Amano shrimp
1 cherry shrimp

I will add better quality photos later, need to pick my camera up from work, left it on my desk :banghead:

Please feel free to comment on my plant, fish and layout choices, all feedback welcome....
Jim

Very nice Jim!

I'm no expert on aquascaping, so I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge of these things. ;)

The only thing I would change is the positioning of the heater. Is there space behind the main scaping in the centre of the tank? If so, I'd try to position it there to try to disguise it a bit.

Back