• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Non return check valve

ivka

hi. Just a quick question? Is it ok to use normal plastic non return check valve on co2 tubing or do I have to have some special one for co2? Will it leak or will it last?thanks

Depends.

I first used an Algarde non-return valve on my CO2 and the rubber flap inside "melted" as CO2 will dissolve and melt some rubbers. Basically CO2 stopped flowing through it.

Another manufacturers plastic one I had, leaked at the seam/weld, the plastic slightly crazing due to being attacked by CO2.

Finally got a CO2 rated one, but had issues with the pipes blowing off with my diffuser and pressure build up.

Finally bought an Up CO2 one way valve which has pipe locking nuts which has been working fine for years. The Up one had a slight leak from its joint, but I opened it up, it uses a hard silicone disk as its blocking valve so won't be affected by CO2 and screwed it back together with silicone thread sealant on the joints.

Been meaning to buy a metal one from Aquaessentials for years.

Hi. Thanks for quick replie.do I need one on my co2 tubing ? Because my bubble counter has built in check valve too so I wonder if that is enough?

Because my bubble counter has built in check valve too so I wonder if that is enough?
In my experience no. The rubber ring in one way valve in my "Hong Kong cheapy" bubble counter went all soft and failed to work as one way valve, as I watched the water make its way back along the pipe to the CO2 regulator !!!

This is what I have now.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/407/valveu.png

Along with an expensive JBL Pro Flora bubble counter.
63230.png

Spend at least £5 on a check valve if it's being attached to your CO2 line. CO2art.co.uk do a metal one and also an UP one that has locking nuts which seems quite sturdy.

I bought a cheap 99p one from ebay, it cracked slightly and caused all my CO2 to escape over the course of a few days, had to buy a new FE for £30.

I bought a cheap 99p one from ebay, it cracked slightly and caused all my CO2 to escape over the course of a few days
Good advice. My cheap bubble counter, cracked and ended up emptying a 2Kg FE in 20 days rather then the expected 100days :banghead:

The co2art bubble counter with check valve works very well.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...-co2-bubble-counter-with-build-in-check-valve

It comes all together (so less items in your tubing) and with security nuts (so less chance of leaks or blowing due to pressure). I used to have the cheap plastic ones and the blew quite often, then the glass one and broke it... So the one linked is just perfect to me.

Jordi

i have bubble counter with build in check valve from co2 art and i decided i will order stainless steel check valve from them too.so i am definitely safe with that.;)

Even the metal ones can leak!
Don't be fooled....test them in some water for escaping Co2!
hoggie
I use a fine paint brush and Ecover washing up liquid. Sit back and wait for the bubbles lol... Well hopefully not ;

The co2art bubble counter with check valve works very well.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...-co2-bubble-counter-with-build-in-check-valve

It comes all together (so less items in your tubing) and with security nuts (so less chance of leaks or blowing due to pressure). I used to have the cheap plastic ones and the blew quite often, then the glass one and broke it... So the one linked is just perfect to me.

Jordi

Clumsy!

Yes my BC has a one way valve as well :) best safe than sorry ;)

Back