• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Not dosing EI

Well... http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Copper
So, essentially, 0.03 ppm of Cu is enough to kill shrimps, I am afraid, if we trust the source. I have been looking for some works about toxicity. So far, I just found one study related to Penaus japonicus which is probably much less sensitive than freshwater shrimps: http://www.vliz.be/imisdocs/publications/33443.pdf

Main conclusion is that a concentration of 4 ppm is enough to kill 50% of those shrimps in 96 hours. And even less copper if you mix it in the same medium with other toxic metals (which is expected).

Nevertheless, I also doubt micro fertilizers will cause any problem. Note that the concentration of copper in micro ferts is a % in weight. If the ferts are dry, then this % will be reduced by the dilution into the bottle, plus also the dilution in the tank, so probably you are in the order of 0.001 ppms, or so. If you provide the data from the ferts and the dosing you plan, as well as the volume of the tank, I can help you with the maths. ;)

Cheers,

Manuel

I've steered away from the dry ferts, bought some TNC complete liquid

I've steered away from the dry ferts, bought some TNC complete liquid
As this is mostly likely Solufeed TEC (and macro) dissolved in water, judging by the micro ratios, you have just bought £9 worth of water. Nice.

As this is mostly likely Solufeed TEC (and macro) dissolved in water, judging by the micro ratios, you have just bought £9 worth of water. Nice.

Hmm. Given that I'm pretty new to the fert game, and realise it may not be the optimal way of dosing; is there really need for condescension?

I figure this will provide a good base for me to start working with, and at £9 it might be a waste, but isn't going to break my bank.

I figure this will provide a good base for me to start working with, and at £9 it might be a waste, but isn't going to break my bank.

More costly would be is to screw up with the amounts and crash your tank because of that, so no fault by considering pre-diluted fertilizers, in my point of view, until you feel OK using dry ferts and with your fertilizing programme, instead.

is there really need for condescension?
Sorry. :oops: Just pointing out that there are ways of achieving exactly the same at much reduced cost.

Pre-mixed is fine for teeny tanks and non EI dosing on larger tanks, but when you get larger and require full EI dosing works out expensive.

TNC is £9 per 500ml, say for 200l tank and 20ml dose 3 times a week is 8 weeks for £9 -> so £1 a week.

Dry micro is £12 for 500g, mixing 12g into 1000ml gives 42 litres worth, dosing 40ml for 200 litre tank lasts 350 weeks for £12 -> 34p per week.

Sorry. :oops: Just pointing out that there are ways of achieving exactly the same at much reduced cost.

Pre-mixed is fine for teeny tanks and non EI dosing on larger tanks, but when you get larger and require full EI dosing works out expensive.

TNC is £9 per 500ml, say for 200l tank and 20ml dose 3 times a week is 8 weeks for £9 -> so £1 a week.

Dry micro is £12 for 500g, mixing 12g into 1000ml gives 42 litres worth, dosing 40ml for 200 litre tank lasts 350 weeks for £12 -> 34p per week.

It's all good :) right now i'm working with the smaller 60 litre, I think the dry ferts are definitely my next port of call as I learn more on here and from reading...

Back