• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster 250 - Heater does not fit

That turn the inside really helps allowing you to clean the pipes without removing them just remember to turn it back

That turn the inside really helps allowing you to clean the pipes without removing them just remember to turn it back
The pipes will not fit onto the head if they are not in the correct position!.....;)

What media do you guys use no your Biomaster? Do you do anything diffrent than the norm

Saw this vid but i'm not too sure if its required go that far.

Does a planted tank require more mechanical media than bio?

Hi all,
Saw this vid but i'm not too sure if its required go that far.......... Does a planted tank require more mechanical media than bio?
The thinking behind more mechanical filtration media, than biological, is that a lot of the role of the microbes within the tank will be taken on by the plants. It is true that plants will mop up all forms of <"fixed nitrogen"> and <"provide a larger area where microbial nitrification will occur">.

I like a pre-filter (doesn't matter where it is, as long as it is easy to remove and clean) to do any mechanical filtration. My aim is that only dissolved oxygen and ammonia, within the water column, enter the filter, and that the flow through the biological filter media is quick enough so that that water is not de-oxygenated inside the filter.

We have a few <"Biohome threads">, and a lot of filter media set-ups are partially based on the premise that both aerobic nitrification and <"anaerobic denitrification"> will occur within the biological filter media inside the filter. I'm not going there, because <"it is a ridiculous idea"> and almost guaranteed to lead to disaster in a non-planted tank.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thank you Darrel very helpful
No, you are good. Filters, and particularly filter media, have their own mythology and it is really difficult to sort out the good, from the bad and the ugly. A lot of companies are very keen on making all sorts of claims for their "premier media" <"without any scientific back-up">.

If you cut to the chase it is actually quite straightforward:
  1. Ammonia (NH3) and nitrite (NO2-) are really toxic, and will kill you fish at very low levels. We need to remove them as rapidly as possible, it doesn't matter how it is done.
  2. Nitrate (NO3-) isn't toxic until we get into the hundreds of mg/L (ppm).
  3. A canister filter is a "pump in a bucket" (immortal description via @ceg4048).
  4. Nitrification (NH3 > NO2 > NO3) is an oxygen intensive process.
  5. Organic wastes with a large biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) can be treated successfully in systems where the oxygen is continually replenished.
  6. The <"physical volume of media"> required for nitrification is much smaller than you might imagine.
  7. Plant/microbe filtration provides a negative feedback loop where enhanced levels of fixed nitrogen lead to enhanced plant growth, which leads to <"higher oxygen production">, which leads to the ability to process more fixed nitrogen. When you remove that plant growth you've exported that nitrogen from the system.
Once you know that then all the discussion about the relative merits of Biohome etc. become a bit like re-arranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

cheers Darrel

Thanks guys. Was about to spend quite a bit of money filling it up with Matrix but I found 2kg of ceramic media on allpondsolutions for I think £8. I bought it because it was such low price and now after I received it, it looks really good and I’m sure it would be sufficient. Unfortunately didn’t have any toy soldiers lying about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back