• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Apparently so. They’ve gone through a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that’s quite bad really. Early this year when mine broke they didn’t know what caused it but they spoke to the Oase rep about it. I was never told the cause, but presumably they knew about it. In the end most of my fish were alright but I lost 2-3 as a result in the following days.

As much as I love having the heater hidden away in the filter, knowing that was the cause reassured me that switching is the right thing to do. I presume this is why the heating element in the eheim filters is right at the bottom of the canister. My panda garras seem to love hanging by the filter when it’s active :)

I should be getting the proper JBL filter on Wednesday, luckily the place were on to it right away this morning.

Ok, I did 3 things that seems to have resolved at 99% my canister air issue:
- Remove the Pogostemon stellatus plant as it was losing too many small leaves which then got stuck into bottom grid skimmer.
- Moved the surface skimmer further from dense plant area
- Swap inline Co2 diffuser to standard in tank one.

Now skimmer is not sucking air/Co2 anymore and pump is 99% clear of air.
cee6dec01cd5ed61545ad20b387394d3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that’s quite bad really. Early this year when mine broke they didn’t know what caused it but they spoke to the Oase rep about it. I was never told the cause, but presumably they knew about it. In the end most of my fish were alright but I lost 2-3 as a result in the following days.

As much as I love having the heater hidden away in the filter, knowing that was the cause reassured me that switching is the right thing to do. I presume this is why the heating element in the eheim filters is right at the bottom of the canister. My panda garras seem to love hanging by the filter when it’s active :)

I should be getting the proper JBL filter on Wednesday, luckily the place were on to it right away this morning.

I’ve now been advised by another LFS on the same issue of heaters. Apparently the instruction from OASE is to m replace the heater if one goes. There was no explanation why they failed just to replace when one goes.

Just to make everyone aware - world of water are doing 20% off oase filters so I got a 600 thermo for £191
Thanks Chris that's a decent deal - did you mean £199.99 as that is the price I get following discount on their website?

On the topic of my JBL filter, first I was sent the wrong filter, today it was swapped by DPD for the correct one and there is a part missing! Useless!! I'm flipping annoyed to say the least. Might as well have spent the extra £20 odd and bought it from a retailer that knows what they are doing.

Keep me posted on the JBL.

Finally got everything in place! It’s a rather beastly filter even though it’s fairly narrow and tall. The larger diameter pipes are quite a handful, but I think once cut to length they will be ok (I am using them full length for now while I check the filter).

Inside of the filter is nice and easy to work with. The output is like night and day compared to the oase. I would even say what I’m seeing is 4x as much water throughput. So much so that I am wondering whether this filter is too powerful for my tank even with the spray bar distribution!

The only downside is that it has a louder hum to it than the oase (which was almost silent). It might be being made worse if the pipes are resting on the back of the cabinet, but I’ll check that in the morning.

Right now I’m leaving it to “bed in” for a while and I’ll see how it goes. With the throughput being so powerful I am wondering if I made the right choice or not, but we will see!

Finally got everything in place! It’s a rather beastly filter even though it’s fairly narrow and tall. The larger diameter pipes are quite a handful, but I think once cut to length they will be ok (I am using them full length for now while I check the filter).

Inside of the filter is nice and easy to work with. The output is like night and day compared to the oase. I would even say what I’m seeing is 4x as much water throughput. So much so that I am wondering whether this filter is too powerful for my tank even with the spray bar distribution!

The only downside is that it has a louder hum to it than the oase (which was almost silent). It might be being made worse if the pipes are resting on the back of the cabinet, but I’ll check that in the morning.

Right now I’m leaving it to “bed in” for a while and I’ll see how it goes. With the throughput being so powerful I am wondering if I made the right choice or not, but we will see!

My e1501 made quite a din but was resolved by placing a piece of old carpet underneath it in the cabinet.

Hi
I had same hum with mine e1501 too
Carpet underneath ,try to get the air out properly ( it takes quite a bit of shaking and fidling)and most important make sure the pipeline do not touch the cabinet once U cut them and will be ok ish (still much noisier compared to my Tetratecs but very good flow)
Regards Konsa

My e1501 made quite a din but was resolved by placing a piece of old carpet underneath it in the cabinet.
Hi
I had same hum with mine e1501 too
Carpet underneath ,try to get the air out properly ( it takes quite a bit of shaking and fidling)and most important make sure the pipeline do not touch the cabinet once U cut them and will be ok ish (still much noisier compared to my Tetratecs but very good flow)
Regards Konsa

Thanks guys, that has reminded me that I have some anti vibration mats in the shed! It’s helped a little bit but it’s still a touch loud, I’ll reduce the hose length tonight and see if that helps.

I’ve removed the spray bar for now and pointed the open outlet towards the back of the tank and that has calmed the flow in the tank down a bit. I’ll add some filter floss in later as well which should restrict it a little bit and calm it down.

Worst case, if it continues being noisy, I’ll keep it as my backup filter and take a look at something from eheim like the 4e 600 maybe. Luckily I didn’t pay that much for it.

Hello
I have got the 350 thermo. I was wondering if you could replace the impeller with the one from 600 to increase flow. Have anyone tried that?

Got rid of mine after 2 years. I still have a 600 head that was used on the 350. I suspect it’s all about the head than the impeller

Have you tried drilling more holes in the pre filter pipe increased my flow quiet a bit

I tried mine with removing the pre filter pipe and sponges altogether and it honestly made very little difference to the flow rate from what I could tell

Hello
I also have 350 . I was wondering if you could replace the impeller with the one from 600 to increase flow. Have anyone tried that?
Hi,
I have the same filter and also wondering the same.
From spare part list - 250 and 350 share same impeller.
350 and 600 share same impeller cover.
From looking at picture, impeller for 600 model have slightly biger/taller fins.If lenght and diameter is same -maybe it will work (Like on some Eheim and Fluval filters)
Btw, my 350 draw exactly 11,6W ( not 18W like stated in manual).
I want to order spare impeller, and maybe will be ordered for both 350 and 600 - just for testing.

I have a Biomaster 600 that I retro fitted with the 300 watt heat up heater. It is running in a 30 gallon planted aquarium. I’ve had a lot of problems with it CONSTANTLY purging air and flow not being good. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that it is because of the prefilter. The prefilter sponges that came with my filter (which were the black 60ppi sponges) were too fine and due to the strain on the system it sucked in air which in turn caused the filter to CONSTANTLY purge air. So...I removed one of the sponges and unfortunately this did not resolve the problem. So I watched Pondguru’s video. I drilled extra holes in the prefilter tubing, ordered the orange 30ppi sponges from Amazon, and removed all the 60ppi sponges from the prefilter. With NO sponges in the prefilter chamber and the extra holes in the tubing the flow is considerably better, the filter is totally quiet and THE PURGING HAS STOPPED. HOWEVER, when I added JUST 3 of the Orange 30ppi sponges to the prefilter...the purging of air started again, but not nearly as much as before. So I’ve taken them out again and the filter runs flawlessly again. So now I’ve cut some large slits in the Orange 30ppi sponges and I’m going to put them back into the prefilter. I’ll let you know what happens. This is my experience with this filter (over a 2 month period). I hope this help

I have the Thermo600 and have also had air issue quite a lot.
The solution I have put in place which solve 90% of the issue is drill extra Holes in the prefilter tube, replace the prefilter sponge by the 30ppi and increase the bottom Holes size of my glass surface skimmer.

Oase also sent me last week a new Thermo600 head with an improved design.
I need to try it this weekend and then report my feedback to them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back