• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted tank- Going on a long vacation

MMonis

Hi members,

I have a 54 litre planted tank which is pretty much established. Tank equipment is :
Filter - Oase biomaster thermo 250
Co2 - Pressurized cylinder 2kg
Diffuser - In tank Neo diffuser
Light - Fluval Aquasky 2.0
Fertlizer - Aquaboost Compleat AIO (3 times a week) and Aquaboost Color & Strength Micro (2 times a week)
Inmates - 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 11 Cardinal Tetras, 7 Amano Shrimps, few red and yellow cherry shrimps

Here is a pic of the tank:
Tank Pic.jpg

I would be going on a 1 month long vacation in December and at the moment I do not have anyone who could take over the tank from me during this duration. I am finding it difficult to entrust the tank to anyone I know since none have experience with fish keeping.
In the situation that I need to leave the tank alone for a month without any intervention, would like to know if its possible to do so and if yes what are the possibilities and steps I need to do to avoid any disasters.

Thanks for helping out :)

Regards,
Mel

Not ideal but doable.

I would start by slowly lowering the light intensity and fert dosage in the run-up to your vacation, you want it at low tech levels. I would also start feeding the fish less (1 or 2 times a week)

An auto feeder for the fish and if possible an auto water top up system to replenish evaporation.

There isn't really much more i can think off without investing is rather expensive computer systems, but even then most will only alert you to an issue, which won't help unless someone can go in and check.

Ask your lfs they may know a company locally that do maintenance. I'd be reluctant to leave that long - maybe just have someone come in once a week to check on it and feed the fish.

Thats agood idea there if you know your local fish store well they may call a couple of times a week to feed and check everything should do it . All the better if a nearby relative can let them in. Possibly switch the CO2 off unless your lfs is familiar with it

It's doable but not ideal. Work out how fast water evaporates from the tank, get an auto top up and water barrel, and an auto feeder. Practice with both long before you go.

You can add ferts to your auto top up reservoir. But suggestion to lower light levels a bit makes sense.

I'd try and find s9meone to at least come in once a week to check the system is running. Power cut, blocked filter intake etc is quite possible.

Expect to have to work to get it back in shape when you return.

Hi all,
I'd try and find s9meone to at least come in once a week to check the system is running. Power cut, blocked filter intake etc is quite possible.
and they could feed the fish as well, once a <"week should be fine">.
.......... Also if you want them to feed the fish put a small amount of fish food in a dated container, and then ask them to tip all the food into the tank on the set date. You can probably get away with two feedings (a container for each week) for the time you are away.

I've learned this the <"hard way">..........

cheers Darrel

Probably best to turn off co2, lowering light intensity to about 10-20%, turn off/lower down heating (depending what will be your room temperature). Ideally rehouse the fish to your local LFS, shrimps will be fine if your throw them a few capatta leaves. If you can't/don't want to rehouse your fish, then get automated fish feeder (you must test it, ideally for the same period that you go away). Also make sure you select appropriate granular food that won't soak up too much moisture to clog up the feeder. Good luck!

Tomas

@MMonis Topping off evaporated water would be my biggest concern. To cover a worst case scenario you want to make sure no inlets, heater etc get exposed. Also spray bars, tubes etc. attached with suction cups can possibly dry up and detach. I've had that happen due to evaporation. For feeding I'd agree with Darrel; once a week should work - not ideal, but should work. The shrimps are probably my least concern as these guys will be able to find algae, biofilm etc. to munch on. Plus Almond or capatta leaves is an excellent idea as pointed out by @GTomas.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the advice and inputs :)

It seems its best that there is someone to look after it for such a long period. I think I will just move the aquarium to my workplace and have my colleagues look after it while I am away. This way they can also contact me in case it gets bad.

Thanks for helping out !!!

Regards,
Mel

Due to the covid situtation here in denmark and offices shutting down, I will no longer be able to move the aquarium to my office :(

So my friend has decided to come over once a week to feed the fish. Related to this long vacation I have some questions:
1. I have reduced the light intensity to 25%. Should I also reduce the light period and to how many hours (currently it is at 6 hours)
2. I have switched off the Co2. Should that be fine ?
3. Should I trim all the plants so they do not overgrow during the one month I am away ?
4. Are the holiday gel foods good alternatives to regular flake food, considering my friend won't have much experience in determining the quantity to be fed ?
5. Would once a week feeding be enough (fish stock listed in first post) ?

Regards,
Mel

Due to the covid situtation here in denmark and offices shutting down, I will no longer be able to move the aquarium to my office :(

So my friend has decided to come over once a week to feed the fish. Related to this long vacation I have some questions:
1. I have reduced the light intensity to 25%. Should I also reduce the light period and to how many hours (currently it is at 6 hours)
6 hours will be fine
2. I have switched off the Co2. Should that be fine ?
Ideally, you would want it left on, but probably safer and easier to have it off if the person checking the tank is not knowledgeable about it.
3. Should I trim all the plants so they do not overgrow during the one month I am away ?
With the reduced light and no co2 plant growth is going to slow right down.
4. Are the holiday gel foods good alternatives to regular flake food, considering my friend won't have much experience in determining the quantity to be fed ?
Can't help with the gel foods, what I would do is portion out some flake food to be fed weekly
5. Would once a week feeding be enough (fish stock listed in first post) ?
Weekly will be fine.
Regards,
Mel

Back