• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. UPDATES!

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 30/08/10)

Gill said:
Looks Excellent, Can't wait to see the foreground mature.

Thanks :) same here! It'll probably take a while though with no CO2, but that's fine with me!

I've just thought, I still have the lighting set to 6 hours a day, I'd like to ramp it up to 8 hours, but I know that I will get lots of algae on the glass (it's appearing already), so I am thinking what I could add to clean the glass? Ottos are great, but I think it would be cruel to put them in such a tiny tank. Don't know much about snails, but I do know that I don't want them breeding like crazy in there!

Any tips much obliged! :D

In 12L go for Nerite Snails, Won't breed AFAIk they need brackish.

From experience I would Go for the Tri-Horned as they are the Smallest and Best Looking Nerites. 3 should be Ok.
I have Also seen some others on Ebay recently that look interesting>>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-PAGODA-SNAIL-BROTIA-PAGODULA-RARE-ALGAE-EATING-/280555395934?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish

From experience I would Go for the Tri-Horned as they are the Smallest and Best Looking Nerites. 3 should be Ok.
I have Also seen some others on Ebay recently that look interesting>>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-PAGODA-SNAIL-BROTIA-PAGODULA-RARE-ALGAE-EATING-/280555395934?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish

river nerite
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/p ... 178252.php

PM said:
Cool. How many do you reckon is a good number?

Thanks

Unless you were going to supplement their diet with pre-grown algae on stones then I'd say 1, or maybe 2 at a push or they'll go walkabouts in search of more food in my experience.

NeilW said:
PM said:
Cool. How many do you reckon is a good number?

Thanks

Unless you were going to supplement their diet with pre-grown algae on stones then I'd say 1, or maybe 2 at a push or they'll go walkabouts in search of more food in my experience.

Walkabouts? Do you mean they'll jump out?! (Haha, 'jump'). One is cool as long as they don't get lonely :)

those spotty ones look great, surely its good if they do breed as yourll make your money back :D watch out for them parachuting from the rim of the tank onto that swanky keyboard haha.

nayr88 said:
those spotty ones look great, surely its good if they do breed as yourll make your money back :D watch out for them parachuting from the rim of the tank onto that swanky keyboard haha.

I think just the mess of having a load of snails (eggs, poo etc) in there far outweighs the financial benefits ;)

I don't even want anything apart from shrimp, but I know that I need something, otherwise I'm gonna be cleaning the glass all the time.

Need to have a think about what to add...

PM said:
Walkabouts? Do you mean they'll jump out?! (Haha, 'jump'). One is cool as long as they don't get lonely :)
If they can't find food they'll crawl out the tank in search of it and manage to get quite far as they have a 'hatch' they can pull up to stop them drying out (from in nature during tides etc.). Gave my girlfriend a shock :lol: Mine have done it a couple of times and I have 2 in a 17 litre tank, PFK recommended 1 to 20 litres. The size of a nano is obviously a big restriction on surfaces for grazing

PM said:
I don't even want anything apart from shrimp, but I know that I need something, otherwise I'm gonna be cleaning the glass all the time.

Need to have a think about what to add...
Try sorting your ferts etc. first if you want to stop the algae. I wouldn't use livestock to solve it as its not sorting the root of the problem.

Yeah I know but I think the start point is that I have a bit too much light (more than I'd like). And don't plan on adding CO2 or Excel, so even with ferts sorted I reckon I'll still get steady algae, on the glass at least.

I also have no idea how much dry ferts to dose. I want to stick to Tom Barr's recommendations on low tech, as it makes a lot of sense to me.

I haven't dosed anything as yet, as the Flora-Base has nutrients and I've been adding fish food to cycle. But it's been three weeks since setup and none of the plants are rooted so I should probably think about a regime very soon.

I think I found your problem;
PM said:
...and I've been adding fish food to cycle.
= ammonia + light = algae :thumbdown:

A planted tank will cycle itself without any addition of extra ammonia. My advice would be to stop with the fish food and leave it be and you'll see a decrease in algae.

Hi all,
I think both "Shrimplets" and very small fry do better with snails in the tank, possibly because of the increased quantity of rotifers etc. produced by the snails. (MTS are shrimp and fry safe).

cheers Darrel

I have just a single a clithon corona in my nano.
Add more than that and you get a constant stream of eggs.

Ramshorns are also an option. I have 10 or so mature ones in my tank, and I never have to clean the glass. They keep it pristine. Cheaper than nerites too ;)

Hi guys, in the last few days I have acquired pretty much every type of algae.

I have BBA, hair, and many other weird filament types.

Tank: 2.5 gal
Lighting - 9W aquacube, 7hrs a day
CO2 - none
Filtration - dennerle nano
Fertilisation routine - florabase (plus added a tiny amount of traces a couple of days ago)
Setup - 25 days ago, tank fully cycled
Inhabitants - none until next Weds - shrimp and a snail

Any help would be much appreciated as I think it's close to becoming out of control.

Unforunately my lens won't focus very close:

4958036274_8433c49839_b.jpg

4957443731_3371725d3c_b.jpg

4957443537_c803fddd70_b.jpg

Paul.

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech.

forget the trace. I've run the same set up with no ferts at all. no co2 either. with no issues, for 3 months or so. It looks like there's no demanding plants in there, so I personally wouldn't use it.

is the water flat calm on the surface?

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech.

this is the same set up as yours.

untidy.jpg

it pretty much ran itself and was busting at the seems with plants.

Back