• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. UPDATES!

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech.

I guess you have too much light for not having any CO2. All the algal types you mentioned are CO2 related.

Cheers,

The lamps from planted box are possibly the best on the market.

Garuf said:
The lamps from planted box are possibly the best on the market.

That's the one I have ;) - 9W

Thing is I am getting a lot of algae :( so it has been suggested that I have too much light for low-tech.... which I thought would be the case when I ordered it!

Add a diffuser to it?
Start dosing easy carbo? I dunno, low tech doesn't float my boat so much. You could just wait and see if adding loads of stems stems the problem?

Garuf said:
Add a diffuser to it?
Start dosing easy carbo? I dunno, low tech doesn't float my boat so much. You could just wait and see if adding loads of stems stems the problem?

It already has a diffuser.

No space for stems and really don't want stems in what is supposed to be a super-low maint tank. Also don't want excel cos I have shrimp (and it's a tiny tank), and don't wanna bother with ferts!

Think I'm just gonna have to engineer a mega diffuser somehow.

Very simple then, turn the light off.. Use it only for 3 hours in the evening, a timer would sort it out.

The mosses, and Anubias will do well in natural light, and the shrimp may not mind. Try it for two weeks and see how it goes.

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 30/08/10)

PM said:
Hi guys, in the last few days I have acquired pretty much every type of algae.

I have BBA, hair, and many other weird filament types.

Without CO2 and ferts, you need to reduce the light, I do not think that there is other way. Unless I misunderstood the issue.

Re: PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. (Updated 30/08/10)

ghostsword said:
PM said:
Hi guys, in the last few days I have acquired pretty much every type of algae.

I have BBA, hair, and many other weird filament types.

Without CO2 and ferts, you need to reduce the light, I do not think that there is other way. Unless I misunderstood the issue.

You're right.

So I either have to make a more effective diffuser or get a lower powered light (with a good colour temp, which ain't easy).

So I'm gonna see what I can come up with in terms of a diffuser.

Thanks all.

EDIT:

Of course I could reduce the lighting period, but I want to able to see it ;)

Of course I could reduce the lighting period, but I want to able to see it

Crazy idea really.. but why not use a PIR light? It will only turn on when you are close to the tank.. :) There should be PIR led lights powered by a 9V battery, for example..

Would a pir light not create more problems due to the inconsistency of the light?

Get to ikea and get a desk lamp? Was that led light your selling no good?

Cheers

nayr88 said:
Would a pir light not create more problems due to the inconsistency of the light?

Cheers

No space around the tank for ikea light :(

The LED I'm selling is great but I personally am not keen on the colour rendition.

I have developed a high-tech diffuser which should work well - a piece of frosted perspex over the tank with a sheet of kitchen roll on top! :lol:

nayr88 said:

Cheers

I do not think that plants worry about the inconsistency of light.. Those plants do not want too much light anyway.. :)

DAY 50

Bit of an update!

Everything is going well, and I have just noticed that I have Sakura baby shrimp!! :D Don't know how may there are, spotted two so far.

Only thing I've done is top up water and add a little Phyton Git.

Full tank:
5057314385_99c5ff32ba_b.jpg

Babies:
5057936660_6a2faaecbf_b.jpg

Mr Snail:
5057935486_63a4c79b18_b.jpg

Shrimps:
5057321311_3e665b2f8a_b.jpg

5057342889_d71223bbf7_b.jpg

5057318289_40ccaf963c_b.jpg

Very happy with the tank, low tech is the future! (For me) ;)

Hi, thanks Neil :)

I actually just had a piece of frosted Perspex and a small piece of kitchen roll elastic banded around the light unit to reduce the intensity.

I removed these to take the photos, and it looks so much nicer (it was quite dull before), that I am going to try it without the 'filters'. Ive reduced the lighting period from 7 to 6 hours, and now that the plants are more established and healthy, and with the growing population of shrimp, I hope that this will curb the growth of any algae. Wow that was badly worded. Ha!

I bottled it and resorted to the liquid carbon to rid the algae menace in my my 'low-tech' nano. It has made the plants a lot greener and a lot more growth though, so while I'm around to do it I think I'll carry on for now :oops:

Nice thermometer too mate :geek:

Hi PM...nice setup and enjoying the thread.

re your quote ' I've also ordered ten Sakura shrimp from here: http://www.fraku-aquaristik.de they should arrive on the 8th of September '.....

Can I have yout views on ordering shrimps from the above company and how many (Sakura) survived the transortation process. Did they survive once acclimatised as I've heard that Sulawesi are the most difficult to keep alive after transportation and that is why the UK doesn't import....

Am keen to procure the Sulawesi Cardinal and wondered what your thoughts were on ordering and qulaity of shrimp received. How did they package them and what delivery times were in place...? Sorry for the number of questions ?

regards......

Back