• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible disease / eggs on GBR fin? Please help !

jaHko

Heyho!

Bought this GBR from my LFS yesterday and noticed today during feeding she has what looks like to be tiny eggs of some kind on her fins?

Can anyone tell me what this might be and what the hell I should do about it. She is in a community tank and don't want her to spread it to others....

f0d493dd6c7034b3c8445098c5f979a8.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Is that the only fish in the tank? If there are others my guess if it's white spot the fish will be infected it spreads quick

Is that the only fish in the tank? If there are others my guess if it's white spot the fish will be infected it spreads quick

Sorry I see there are others, my mistake for not reading properly!
the parasites spread quickly into the water and I'd say within a few days the other fish will have it, maybe best to treat the tank for any parasites already in the water

Such a bummer! Took her out and placed her in a quarantine hang on till morning. She is already looking worse for wear compared to the other GBR I bought. What is the best way to treat the entire tank? This is my first time dealing with a disease of any kind and am a bit freaked out.

Do you have melafix or white spot treatment? I'd recommend doing an 70% water change right the way to take as much of the white spot spores out if the water. Then treat with white spot treatment using the guidance on the bottle. What sort of filter system do you have?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check what my LFS have for white spot today. Can't raise the temp as I don't have a heater yet ( hydor delivery expected next week). So seeing that I have to do treatment, is it worth keep the infected fish?

Yeah either way if it's white spot you'll be treating the tank so I'd keep the GBR! Also be careful if you have shrimps as they are sensitive to medicine but esha exit as said above it suitable for shrimps and I've used this!

So spoke to my LFS and they have NTLabs (Malachite green + Formaldehyde) that kills off invertebrates. So the plan is to catch all/most of the shrimps tomorrow, buy and air pump and set up a hospital tank. Then treat the community tank with that stuff

I'm not convinced this is a female GBR but
I'm fairly certain you're looking at fin damage rather than Ichthyophthirius multifiliis or white spot disease - those fin abrasions are fairly common in newly imported rams or rams that are stressed/harassed

You might treat for white spot just in case, but I'd keep this fish rather than doing a return - how is her respiration rate? active? swimming? eating?

It sounds as if you're going back to the shop, so stop & look at their GBR tank, get comfortable & observe the fish for 15 min or so - if white spot you'll see much clearer signs than what was observed on your fish.
If Seachem ParaGuard is available, this is also fairly shrimp safe (any shrimp that have just moulted will be very sensitive to any changing water parameters for ~36h), I've also used Hikari Ich X "saltwater" with minimal shrimp losses (this is just a formalin based solution with no additional dyes)

I'd recommend doing an 70% water change right the way to take as much of the white spot spores out if the water
This is always sound advice when any disease is suspected
EXCEPT care must be taken to check tank vs tap parameters - easiest is to use Tetra 5in1 or API 5in1 strip tests - or just stick with conservative 25% water changes, you can perform these every 12 - 24 hours; if any case of suspected disease, optimum water quality (ie very "clean" water) is the best treatment you can offer - if there's a raging infection, you're going to need medication as well.

(I completely disagree with the oft stated "test kits are useless in aquaria" - they are not automatically inaccurate etc, many of these kit methodologies are used successfully with soil & food samples ... I doubt that many tanks are "swampier" than that ;)
Note for each kit methodology there is a list of known interfering compounds, it's possible some might exist in your sample but the greatest error with these kits is the human factor (that's also been shown over & over :D ) ... FWIW my kit test results pretty much agree with my local water report .... & no, they aren't using kit technology ... hundreds of samples are collected & analysed to form the annual report, so it is representative of the water actually coming out of my tap & entering my tank ;))

Quick update - is located the Rams in a makeshift hospital tank and treating the with NT Labs white spot treat. Also battling with low temps (22-23C) but they seems to be ok so far.

daf725116110f89ccb0edb0eb550d2df.jpg

I'm starting to think that this is not white spot. From what I understand it already pretty fast and over the past few days they were in my main tank it didn't change at all. Nevertheless I will finish treatment and give my main tank heat treatment.

Thanks for all the help and input - you guys rock! Merry Christmas to all!!!

just be aware that rams can develop ich if exposed to stress & low temps - the meds should help but I'd sort out the heat situation: while some fish can readily handle 22 - 23C, newly purchased (& possible newly imported) rams are not among them (having come through the shop & transport, it's quite possible that low levels of ich parasite are present)

It maybe a bit far fetched but I have a pearl gourami that has a few whitish spots on her fin and it has done since I got her about 14 months ago and no change, other female and the other male are fine with no signs of disease it could just be some birth marks of some sort

Back