• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pressurised Co2 Planted Aquarium

brads

Hi there,

I'm using the JBL Drop checker and over several months now I have been running my Co2 24/7 on advice from my LFS.

I joined ukaps yestarday and on looking through the forums changed the Co2 injection to come on 2 hrs before lights, and go off 1 before lights off.

I have monitored the Ph levels today and noticed that this first Ph test was taken 08:00hrs, 2hr before lights on,
Ph 6.4
@ 13:00hrs Ph 6.8
and @ 18:00 hrs 1hr after Co2 off, Ph 7.2.

Could someone explain what this means? do I have to adjust the Co2.

In the morning when I checked the drop checker it was in the green, the same in the afternoon.

Assistance appreciated.

Billy

Hello Billy

Those Ph fluctuations are strange. Should be the other way round in that the ph lowers when Co2 is added. It is nothing to worry about as in 'ph crash' as it is unrelated to the KH in the tank.

I would however expect the Ph to drop by 1ish with the CO2 on. Are these definitely right? And are you using 4dKH solution or tank water in the drop checker?

Those results are weird. The Ph should be dropping when the co2 is on, not rising. Are they definitely the right way round?

The 4 dKH is the solution that came with the JBL drop checker.
The ph tests were correct, I will check again today and let you know what the outcome is.

Billy

There are two types of JBL drop checker and solution, I have both !!!

One type (newer) is 4 dKH type, put 35 drops in holder type and other (older) is the one where you dilute the indicator (4 drops) with tank water and read the CO2 level off the scale depending on your original water pH. So you need to ascertain the pH first. Guess why I bought the newer one !!!!

However I found both read unreliably, until I bought some replacement 4dKH water and indicator and I get blue at CO2 on, going to green/yellow at lights on.

Hi Ian,
It's the newer type 35 drops.

Have taken more readings today first reading before Co2 on 08:00 hrs is Ph 7.0.
What happened yesterday I'm not sure.

Have taken a further 2 readings and both showing Ph 6.8 will take a few more later in the day.

Where did you get the 4 dKH water and indicator solution?
Billy

Hi Ian,

When you take the Kh reading are the first 4 drops counted or is it the other drops until yellow.
Billy

With the original JBL CO2 checker (4 drops) you were supposed to either know (from water company) or measuring the KH using a JBL test kit and you read the CO2 level off depending on you KH measurement.

With the new JBL CO2 (35 drops) measurement doesn't depend on tank water KH.

I got my 4 dKH water and indicator from 4dKH Water - Aquarium Glassware - Tools & Glassware

Hi Ian,

I'm new to all this, by using the 4dKH water and indicator fluid in my JBL Drop checker how do I know what my water KH is?

I have a Kh test kit do I test my tap water with 4 drops then more drops until it turns yellow and that determines what my kh is. when i use 4 drops turns blue, and then another 3 drops or so until it turns yellow does that mean my kh is 7?
Billy

The old JBL (4 drops) required you to know your tank water KH to get a CO2 reading, the new JBL (35 drops) doesn't.

So just put 35 drops of JBL liquid in checker and you are good to go. The 35 drops is 4dKH water and indicator (ready mixed) in a very expensive packaged bottle.

Much cheaper to buy 4dKH water and indicator and mix your own as needed.

Back