• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Proper attempt

Or reduce the light intensity, or both.

I made the same mistake of having way too much light in my first planted tank...ended up with lots of brown algae, so i would reduce the intensity &/or increase the co2 before it's covered in the stuff. I'd say reducing the light intensity is the easier option.

I can't reduce more light becuase I am gonna end up without a light lol. I am already purging lots of CO2 through the tank... Is this not getting a bit insane?
How come in Good algae article which was posted by George in Algae thread it says:
Brown Algae (diatoms) are more likely to appear in low-light aquarium and new set-ups, with excess silicate acids (SiO2). Its been known that strong lights make this algae go away, but they might still be seen on lower, shadowed, plant leaves. It can also be found on aquarium glass, gravel and decoration. It can be easily removed manually, since it has a soft/slimy structure. Otos (this catfish relishes this type of algae) and Snails can easily keep this algae in low numbers.

I

You are not experiencing anything that unusual so don't threat to much :)
Most guys starting out have various issues with their new set ups, the forum is full of similar situations but, it is obviously possible to get things growing nicely.

The problem is we can only suggest things to try & help you as every tank is different, your method of injecting may not be the most efficient or your flow rate might not be high enough it is difficult to say without actually seeing the tank.
You might need a little more patience & experimenting before it all come together, you plants are having a tough time too, they have been grown with their leafs out of the water & under the most exacting conditions & now find themselves in a different & changing environment!
Anubis are particularly prone to algae, I have never had much success with them! Certain plants are more tolerant & adapting than others but generally speaking the fast growing stems are great for conference building.. it is all a learning curve so don't loose heart...
I lot of people are very surprised just how much C02 you have to use especially if other components are not in sync but 9 times out of ten any problems are C02 related.

Lukasz,
Turn your light off for a couple days. Your CO2/flow/distribution is still problematic. There are no algae that prefer low light, and diatoms do not care about about silicates, so you need to forget all that. Do you recall I mentioned in posts #9 and #16 that none of your substrate adjuncts will save you from poor CO2, and that flow/distribution is what counts more than anything else? Well this is exactly the reason. You do not need to look anywhere else for the source of your problems. If you cannot upgrade your filter throughput then think about removing some filter media to improve throughput and/or supplementing the flow with a Koralia.

Cheers,

Day 11
Turned light on just for few seconds to take a photo. Will leave it off till monday, but Ludwigia started showing signs of life:D So as the other plants.
I have checked ammonia today.... 0.5mg/l, NO2 is peaking at the moment, so cycling is going well.
I recon one more week and I will be able to let in some Ottos, which will deal with brown algeas if they wont dissapear.
9971460573_9e803a9f29_c.jpg

Should I cover the tank with some black plastic bin bag? Or just leave it with no lights on?

I recon one more week and I will be able to let in some Ottos, which will deal with brown algeas if they wont dissapear.
Well, the choice is yours, but this is a really bad idea. You must learn to fix the cause of algae, NOT to sweep it under the rug. This is why people continue to have problems. Fish cannot solve algae problems, and their presence in the tank limit your ability to find imaginative or radical solutions. If I were you I wouldn't even be thinking about fish for a long time.

Cheers,

Fair enough, I will wait. Can you guys let me know when I can slow down with 50% water changes?

me personally always do the 50% water changes once a wk........a bind but it does the trick !

I usually back off to every other day after the first week and so on and so forth week by week (depending on how things are going)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Well its been 11 days so far with 50% everyday, so I recon I could back off to every 2 days now.

It realy depends, sometimes when lights are off, sometimes not. I am working most of the week days so its hard to keep it on regular basis.
I am going for Koralia Nano 900 pump after I am gonna get paid.

Back