• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Questions regarding soft water areas and 'Walstad Method'.

I can also see in the link you provided that Carbonate is a lot further up the scale than "KHCO3 potassium hydrogen carbonate" which I'm assuming is Bicarbonate?

Hi all,
Just to clear this up @dw1305 which one raises the PH the most?
Carbonate is a lot further up the scale than "KHCO3 potassium hydrogen carbonate" which I'm assuming is Bicarbonate?
Potassium carbonate, it has two potassium ions,. Potassium bicarbonate ("potassium hydrogen carbonate") has a potassium ion (a base) and a hydrogen ion (an acid).
sit it on top of existing gravel
That would do, it will all end up below the gravel over time.

cheers Darrel

Much appreciated Darrel, I ordered some Bicarbonate so thought I'd got that wrong. Obviously it was the page I linked that was out. Just panicked when I saw James's recipe and he was using carbonate. Sorry to @MrHammonds for jumping all over your post, I actually popped in to help but I think the information within this post is going to help you and I a great deal as I feel it's something that will rear its head for you at some point also. Now we both know :thumbup:

Much appreciated Darrel, I ordered some Bicarbonate so thought I'd got that wrong. Obviously it was the page I linked that was out. Just panicked when I saw James's recipe and he was using carbonate. Sorry to @MrHammonds for jumping all over your post, I actually popped in to help but I think the information within this post is going to help you and I a great deal as I feel it's something that will rear its head for you at some point also. Now we both know :thumbup:

Ha yeh, not a problem! No doubt it'll come in handy!

Hi all,
Just panicked when I saw James's recipe and he was using carbonate
It doesn't really matter where you get the ions from. It is worth learning a little bit of inorganic chemistry, it helps with decision making.

The <"earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago"> and all the elements, heavier than helium, were already present and had been formed billions of years before that in the nuclear furnace of a massive Yellow Giant star. As the temperature and pressure rose heavier and heavier elements were forged before it imploded in a supernovae explosion and spewed them all out into interstellar space. All the ions, compounds and elements (and all living things) are made of that star-dust.

A reactive element, like oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, potassium etc., has been combined in millions of compounds over the years. Carbon atoms can be found in various elemental solids (diamond, graphite, graphene, charcoal etc.), gases, rocks, all living organisms, dissolved in water as HCO3- etc. but they are all the same C12 atoms, and constantly cycled from one state to the next.

You can even burn ("oxidise") a diamond and convert it into CO2.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Hmm, burning diamonds? And I thought bottled CO2 was expensive.
Might be a business opportunity for some-one. I can see the blurb: "diamond ash CO2, you can't have a successful planted tank without it", and a celebrity endorsement, it's a pity Zsa Zsa Gabor has died, Bobby George maybe? maybe not.
with carbon is to have your ashes turned into a diamond when you die.
Yes that is it, any form of carbon can be converted to another form of carbon under the right conditions.
.......His breakthrough was using a "belt" press, which was capable of producing pressures above 10 GPa (1,500,000 psi) and temperatures above 2,000 °C (3,630 °F). The press used a pyrophyllite container in which graphite was dissolved within molten nickel, cobalt or iron. Those metals acted as a "solvent-catalyst", which both dissolved carbon and accelerated its conversion into diamond.....
from the Wikipedia <"Synthetic (Industrial) Diamond"> article.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Might be a business opportunity for some-one. I can see the blurb: "diamond ash CO2, you can't have a successful planted tank without it", and a celebrity endorsement, it's a pity Zsa Zsa Gabor has died, Bobby George maybe? maybe not. Yes that is it, any form of carbon can be converted to another form of carbon under the right conditions. from the Wikipedia <"Synthetic (Industrial) Diamond"> article.

cheers Darrel
Racking my Brain now, I remember watching a movie once where there was a massive diamond involved and when they got to it it was a piece of coal. The guy said "it will be a diamond...in about a million years time"

I know, I'm being a bit random, it was just something that stuck in my mind for a very long time, obviously more than the movie or stars of it did. Help me out here!

Coming back to the carbonate thing. I quite like the idea of the soft acid water and the tannins. Anything that prevents large swings but allows me keep some acidity is good with me. First time I've run a blackwater style tank but keeping that tea colour without crashing out with water this soft is going to be a struggle without something buffering. Also it's not a tank I can spend a lot of time on, it's been getting some tlc with being mainly office based but there's going to be times when I might not be able to get to it for a while and I'd like to know it's stable until I get back.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Back