• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick question as I'm worried!!

Martin cape

Just a quick question as I'm slightly worried!!

My BOC CO2 cylinder was filled to 50 bar at 15 degrees according to the neck. It's about 21 degrees in my living room and the pressure in the tank has risen to about 68 bar. Is this normal due to the temperature increase?

When I got it, it was cold and had condensation on it and was about 50 bar.

Bottle feels cold but no condensation. Been in the house a week now. But first time I've noticed the pressure increase.

If it's any use I changed my fe over first week of the new year which had been kept outside in the shed freezing. It was at 50 when I connected it up which rose to 60 after 24 hours in a warm cupboard. Maybe your gauge is slightly out. Either way I don't think room temperature could force your bottle to explode. :)

Haha. I'm just a natural worrier.

Just with never having one in the house before. I suppose to be fair, when I picked it up it was stored outside and it was only about 1 degree, now it's in a house at about 20.

It'll be fine lol :)

Just be like a missile I reckon

Ha, i was speaking to the man that fills mine. And he knew a man, who was filling a bottle and was not tested or something. He filled it up, and as he was doing it it blew up and killed him. :eek:

Bloody hell. Would take some force to cause these things to explode. Only about 5kg of co2 in these and the whole thing weighs 22kg. Weak point is the valve.

Glad I a proper cylinder though. All tested and inspected :). Helps put mind at ease a bit :)

The chance of the cylinder exploding looking like some kind of bomb is highly unlikely. I saw them on mythbusters trying to get a cylinder to explode they ended up shooting at it with a 50cal using gas and explosive tips to get it to pop! The weakest bit would be the threaded bit at the top. If it went it would come out with some force I bet. In the case of a fire these things can be used with a pin in the on position and left facing the fire while you peg it so I doubt it will be flying around like a rocket

Mythbusters also put a CO2 extinguisher in a fire to see what would happen. Well not a lot, the safety seal burst and cylinder emptied, just like as if you used a fire extinguisher normally. It did put the fire out, mainly by blowing the bits of wood around rather than covering in CO2. Nobody died, that's what the burst seal is for.

Use this graph to work out your cylinder pressure at any temperature, knowing a FE will only be filled to a maximum 68%. eg @ 120°F (50°C) pressure will be only 1500psi (103bar) still way below the blowout pressure of 2200psi.
co2q.jpg

Back