• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Radion fresh water

The fulvic acids contained in this substrate help create an optimal environment for plants, animals and microorganisms from day one.
But you still have to get the microorganisms from somewhere first ? Either someone else's filter or wait 6-8 weeks for them grow naturally.

It is just bog standard enriched substrate, which as it says is a great start for plants (and animals ???) and microorganisms. It does not supply the microorganisms (or plants) that is your job.

Rabbit you're free to believe it,but if you go through life believing all the advertisements tell you, i am afraid you will be disapointed regularly. Especialy in hobbiist environments claimes are never/seldom proven. This varies from lights, to soils and foods:D

The thing is, the shop I bought the substrate from was trying to sell me shrimp a few days after the tank was installed. it's a real shame that we are being misled to benifit others pockets

was trying to sell me shrimp a few days after the tank was installed.
That's because they will probably all die. Then he can sell you a test kit at £xx, very carefully not selling you an ammonia test kit, as your water was clearly not good enough, followed by some expensive chemicals and even more shrimp....

The thing about this planted tank lark is patience and a bit more patience and finally even more patience. All these nice planted tanks didn't happen over night. I was not really happy with my tank and it's greenness and its growth for over a year.

Mine too ages to get like this....
vlcsnap00003au.jpg

But trimming got slightly ignored and got rather full....(has been major holiday trimmed, got buckets full off trimming off).
WP_20150625_001_zpsqqmstxnn.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20150625_001_zpsqqmstxnn.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 85
    197.5 KB · Views: 90
    197.5 KB · Views: 94
    197.5 KB · Views: 88
Can't wait to get trimming' sure after time I'll be like' do I have to :(

Some of my plants look to be melting' some leaves are have turned to mush and Java furns look to be going black.

Lights are set at 20% for 8h per day
I've been dosing salts to

As its a new planted tank could this be the salts?

Standard answer is co2 issues.

Try lights at 6 hours/20% and up co2 levels. Then once melt stops, up light in small increments. This worked for me.

I've not done a water change yet. Tanks been running 2 weeks and only started with the salts 4-5 days ago

Hi Rabbit,

Same like Ed, perform WC.
Turn your light back on at 100% only for the duration around 4 1/2 hour's and build up from that weekly. Light duration is the key not the intensity to start.
Keep the CO2 high and use ferts.
Nice tank and setup.

Patrick

Uhhhh...... go do waterchanges asap, in your case 50% twice a week at least. Have you read any of the articles in the tutorial section?
50% 2 times per week? Why so much at this stage of a new set up

50% 2 times per week? Why so much at this stage of a new set up

For a high tech with EI, the norm is to change 50% every day for the first week, then 50% three times in the second week, then by week 3 you can go down to the single 50% change on the Sunday. I have a lot of tannins still, so I did a few extra changes in week 3, but now in my fourth week I just did the single 50% change.

To equalize your waterparameteres and to stabilize your tank. You can read in the tutorial section everything about it, great articles.
Same why I said something your light (duration versus intensity).;)
Crypts sometimes melt (leave the roots in the substrat, most of the times they bounce back) but parva also needs a lot of light.

Patrick

For a high tech with EI, the norm is to change 50% every day for the first week, then 50% three times in the second week, then by week 3 you can go down to the single 50% change on the Sunday. I have a lot of tannins still, so I did a few extra changes in week 3, but now in my fourth week I just did the single 50% change.
This is very true from what i see on here. The fact is though i think this is an 800litre aquarium. Not your relatively standard 60litre. Are you seriously telling me you'd perform daily 50% water changes on an 800litre tank if you had one?? Im with Rabit on this one. Would need to be an exceptional reason to make me do this many changes. I think id be inclined to stick to just the standard one 50% change per week, unless i saw algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very true from what i see on here. The fact is though i think this is an 800litre aquarium. Not your relatively standard 60litre. Are you seriously telling me you'd perform daily 50% water changes on an 800litre tank if you had one?? Im with Rabit on this one. Would need to be an exceptional reason to make me do this many changes. I think id be inclined to stick to just the standard one 50% change per week, unless i saw algae

I'm just quoting the standard from the EI article. I guess if I had an 800 litre aquarium I probably wouldn't want to do it, especially if I was on a water meter! Then again, if I was on a water meter I don't think I would buy an 800 litre tank. My point was that water changes need to happen, Rabbit is 2 weeks in and has not done a single water change. Even if you don't do the 50%, some water changes need to happen.

I'm just quoting the standard from the EI article. I guess if I had an 800 litre aquarium I probably wouldn't want to do it, especially if I was on a water meter! Then again, if I was on a water meter I don't think I would buy an 800 litre tank. My point was that water changes need to happen, Rabbit is 2 weeks in and has not done a single water change. Even if you don't do the 50%, some water changes need to happen.
Totally agree. I also think some articles although theoretically correct, cannot always be followed perfectly. Its a tricky one

I live in Scotland, no water meter, so I would just do the changes, but you need a really nice water change system where you are not carrying water around on a tank that size. Rabbit, have you got a system set up for doing your changes?

Back