• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Well, that is it.....

8CF9EAE9-D83E-489F-A90B-57B4B58B4F7A.jpeg

I’d like to end this journal by saying a huge thanks to everyone on the forum who has contributed along the way. The input offered has certainly contributed to the success of this tank and for that, as with my first planted tank journal on UKAPS, I am always grateful.
This tank has offered everything that I set out to achieve.....and so much more.....returning back to the planted tank scene. Longevity, education, and enjoyment. There are so many facets to this hobby, and this tank has inspired me to try some new avenues.

I’m looking forward to creating a new smaller set up and get some existing projects (the Twenty Seven Thousand - 30c journal) up and running. One day I’m sure I will revisit this big tank, but for now I will enjoy multiple tank syndrome in a manageable way.

I have some amazing keepsakes from the scape, noteably the IAPLC 2020 final image and print my family got me, along with @George Farmer visiting and producing two incredible video montages alongside the recently released Practical fishkeeping magazine article which I am over the moon with. This tank in that respect has far exceeded expectation and I hope can inspire others to see the potential benefits of a longer term or even a simpler aquascape that still offers high impact.

I’ll leave things with a collection of the images which I’ll be honest, make me proud. It may sound a little over the top, but being part of this hobby is hugely beneficial in many ways. There is a strong sense of community, there is a connection with nature and it is an interest that can be enjoyed within our homes, which during recent times is especially beneficial.

Cheerio, and here’s to the next one :)

3628B02C-C9B3-484A-BA98-602484EC1FEF.jpeg

F14D44F6-F61C-4AF7-B2CE-BB084D455915.jpeg

5F45C262-49A6-4BB8-9552-7AD57633A3CA.jpeg

The recent PFK magazine article written by @GeorgeFarmer. I have copies of the high resolution images he took, however I think they are too large to upload so I have re-sized some of them to add.

DE809784-493C-4B6A-9E47-A6B8567D239F.jpeg

1C348329-999D-47C0-8299-2F99B14B759C.jpeg

E0907ED4-5139-4D11-8931-CFEB1BEBB09A.jpeg

46A70BA0-6831-49FF-A9B3-3968C4619ABE.jpeg

595252CD-AD76-4240-A613-B58262F4E167.jpeg

1C8D11A6-3ED4-49AF-ABBA-B2D16DE3CA40.jpeg

2AC7BC92-F3BA-44A9-B7CE-AED3E4E0F9EA.jpeg

E62BF219-EDCA-4C6D-8789-8B8FF3F645F5.jpeg

9A144F85-E63A-4F92-847F-7E08C518A966.jpeg

7CFD4C3A-3B7D-4FA8-9BA5-F17725F0F51E.jpeg

63C42F73-70C7-445A-9184-54932C524FC7.jpeg

92E87145-AB7F-47AF-AEAA-2BF2D97B3DDF.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been one epic journal and was absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine when you do go back to this tank at some point in the future of what you will create!.

I was only reading about your tank yesterday in the new pfk and was going to post what a nice write up it was. I have to say I'm very sorry to see it go but some people in the hobby are worth a little personal disappointment because you know what they will be creating next is going to be worth it.

Sad to see this go, this was an epic tank, but looking forward to the next one for sure :)
Still going to be the 1500? or being replaced by smaller tanks?

Love this mate, was a wicked tank and a credit to your commitment to it, the hobby and forum.
Looking forward to the next installment fella 👋
Thanks man, no real ideas for what’s next though. I’m sure something will come to me.
This has been one epic journal and was absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine when you do go back to this tank at some point in the future of what you will create!.
Thanks Paul, when I saw it empty I thought about just scaping it again straight away, I’ve got some lovely big pieces of frodo stone 🤔 :lol:

An incredible journey watching this scape grow from, strength to strength.
Thanks Gill, it took a while but it got there in the end :)

I was only reading about your tank yesterday in the new pfk and was going to post what a nice write up it was. I have to say I'm very sorry to see it go but some people in the hobby are worth a little personal disappointment because you know what they will be creating next is going to be worth it.
Ahh, really nice of you to say. I feel it’s a hard act to follow in terms of physical presence, but hopefully the smaller tank will be equally enjoyable :)

Sad to see this go, this was an epic tank, but looking forward to the next one for sure :)
Still going to be the 1500? or being replaced by smaller tanks?
Cheers Paulo, you’ve always been a strong supporter of this scape. The 1500 will be replaced with a new 900 and my existing 600, but I will also be finally filling the little 30c Ada tank I have.

It was one of those rare and truly epic journeys. Thanks for sharing Ady :)
Ha, long-standing tanks tend to feel like that, and no problem at all; sharing is caring ;)

Thanks Paul, when I saw it empty I thought about just scaping it again straight away, I’ve got some lovely big pieces of frodo stone 🤔 :lol:
It's got a great aspect ratio, similar to a shallow. There's just so much potential. First time I saw your image of it clean and empty I thought, 'hold on Ady's got a new shallow', and then I noticed it looked rather large in reference to your furnishings 😁

It's got a great aspect ratio, similar to a shallow. There's just so much potential. First time I saw your image of it clean and empty I thought, 'hold on Ady's got a new shallow', and then I noticed it looked rather large in reference to your furnishings 😁
I agree, it does have a lot of potential, it’s a great sized tank. I know I will want to utilise it again which is why I just can’t get rid of it and it’s going into storage, however what I have learned is that I really only have time for the one big tank or a few smaller much quicker to maintain systems. I’m really liking the ease of the little 600 but would like just a little more space so a 900 seems a good fit. I do have another 600 also so my choices for small tanks are pretty good :lol: but I think I’d prefer a 900 and 600 over two 600’s.......with perhaps the exception of the frustratingly different heights they are going to sit at :nailbiting:
The two tanks will take up a five foot space just like the 1500 and they will both be positioned on the one wall so viewing will be much better again :)

I don't blame you wanting to!. I'll be looking forward to the 900 your planning, please don't keep us waiting too long!. 🤩

I don't blame you wanting to!. I'll be looking forward to the 900 your planning, please don't keep us waiting too long!. 🤩
Should be in the house 27th feb, but I need to get my thinking cap on about what I want to do with it. I’ve been that focused on taking down the 1500 and planning the ins and outs that I’ve kind of not thought any further forward than actually moving this tank out and getting the new tank in :lol:

Should be in the house 27th feb, but I need to get my thinking cap on about what I want to do with it. I’ve been that focused on taking down the 1500 and planning the ins and outs that I’ve kind of not thought any further forward than actually moving this tank out and getting the new tank in :lol:
I understand that as it's a big tank to take apart and with having to move things around. Bet you will be glad when everything is sorted and the 900 is in place.

Back