• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Refuguim on a water butt ? Advice/help

My mate, years ago, kept marines and used a large water butt in his garage to pre-store his RO water. RO unit was under the plinth in his kitchen and RO outlet pipe ran into his garage. Day before water change, turn on water, put in heater and fill butt. When ready just pumped from butt into tank...job done. Did have butt located outside but had issues with pipes freezing, so was relocated inside.

That's how I do it and have done for 5 years same Ro unit never changed filters still get a TDS of 1 and to solve freezing I use hose pipe kept inside

I have a tap on a mains pipe in my garage 2 ft above my 220l water butt so that's no problem at all!

The only thing stopping me at the minute is trying to find the best way to remineralise my water for my rift lake cichlids

Cheers for replies guys!

Should I expect the ro filter to remove 100% of my nitrates?

Should I expect the ro filter to remove 100% of my nitrates?
Yes.

You then add back minerals via either powdered salts or mix say with 50% tap water to get whatever mineral/salt/tds levels you require.

Back