• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Repurposing

seedoubleyou

So like most at present, I have a 90cm tank sat around doing nothing, its a braceless open top typical tank used in aquascaping.

It was previously a reef tank, taken apart for a house move and I planned on setting it back up as a freshwater aquascape.

Long story short. I’m a little reluctant to set it back up as quite frankly, I’m a workaholic.
This begs to question, has anyone repurposed a tank for something else?
Like a vivarium or terrarium, or just created an indoor garden out of it?

Or has anyone though about it and have an idea of how they might go about it?

Intrested to hear people thoughts and ideas,

Chris.

@Courtneybst did an interesting edible scape that might give you some ideas.

@Courtneybst did an interesting edible scape that might give you some ideas.
Yes I saw this on an @George Farmer video. I thought it was brilliant. But IMO maybe suited to a smaller setup like what @Courtneybst done.

Serpa design on youtube is always making funky terrariums out of tanks, so might be inspiration for you. I've always wanted to a terrariums with anubias, buce and ferns because I think it would be really low maintenance but look good.

Serpa design on youtube is always making funky terrariums out of tanks, so might be inspiration for you. I've always wanted to a terrariums with anubias, buce and ferns because I think it would be really low maintenance but look good.
Hadn’t even thought about looking through his channel. I’ll take a look and see if there’s anything that would work.

I do like the idea of an indoor garden, of sorts however I’m terrible for becoming bored really fast and fear it wouldn’t offer much interest after initial setup.

I did actually consider using it as some sort of indoor pond. At Ground level with emerging plants and perhaps something around it, but I’m a neat freak and know it will only annoy me. :banghead:

To me it sounds like you should set it up as an aquarium, one that's ultra-low maintenence but still provides with more entertainment than a mini garden, and you could still scape it beautifully. A proper bit of nature in your home!

If you set up an aquarium, added lots of things like daphnia, blackworms, cherry shrimps, etc and let them multiply for a while, then you could add a small number of fish who would eat that microfauna and not need daily feedings or much intervention other than adding dried leaves every few weeks (which you could collect this Autumn).

To me it sounds like you should set it up as an aquarium, one that's ultra-low maintenence but still provides with more entertainment than a mini garden, and you could still scape it beautifully. A proper bit of nature in your home!

If you set up an aquarium, added lots of things like daphnia, blackworms, cherry shrimps, etc and let them multiply for a while, then you could add a small number of fish who would eat that microfauna and not need daily feedings or much intervention other than adding dried leaves every few weeks (which you could collect this Autumn).
The thought had crossed my mind Rosie. Something real simple, perhaps just home to a single Betta fish and give it all that space.
Even the thought of a hardscape only setup appeals to me, coupled with the right fish could provide a nice aesthetic to my home and be low maintenance.
(I’m not adverse to doing a weekly/twice weekly water change and quick scrub down, that takes no time at all)

Perhaps a hybrid would work. Have a decent sized, shallow section, for the betta and have emergent plants which could act as the filter. You'd probably only need to trim the odd plant occassionally.

The thought had crossed my mind Rosie. Something real simple, perhaps just home to a single Betta fish and give it all that space.
Even the thought of a hardscape only setup appeals to me, coupled with the right fish could provide a nice aesthetic to my home and be low maintenance.
(I’m not adverse to doing a weekly/twice weekly water change and quick scrub down, that takes no time at all)
I think it's a great choice, you still get some/a fish, still have a lovely slice of nature and don't have to do loads to it. A betta is a lovely choice, you could make such a beautiful home for a betta in that.. it's own proper big puddle. Would be worth researching other betta species like Betta imbellis, I think they can be kept in pairs without destroying eachother, and they are stunning.

What is the thing you don't have time to do/want to avoid in the aquarium? If you're happy to do a weekly waterchange that's a lot of the battle! It's good to work that out so it can be the bit that's made most convenient for you.

I think for ultra lowtech you probably will need some emergent plants to act as a filter, and make filter maintenance easier/lower. So as @mort says, a hybrid of your garden pond with a wild tropical habitat mixed in. Beautiful and could be really easy! This is the kind of setup I'm getting more interested in too as life gets more hectic again.

Yes I’ve always enjoyed the look of the half filled half planted tanks.

As for time and maintenance tasks I think it speaks more to my personality of being such a neat freak that I couldn’t allow myself to not ensure every detail is perfect all of the time.
So a super simple setup has always been more appealing. But not in the low tech tank kind of vibe.
It’s hard to explain but I prefer a tank that looks well maintained and groomed to something that looks incredibly natural.

Hi all,
As for time and maintenance tasks I think it speaks more to my personality of being such a neat freak that I couldn’t allow myself to not ensure every detail is perfect all of the time.
Have a look at former UKAPS great @BigTom 's "<Tom's Bucket O' Mud - The End">, it was designed to run itself while he was on fieldwork on <"St. Kilda"> for extended periods.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
In all I think there’s not much else that an aquarium can be repurposed for within reason that will actually make it worthwhile keeping. (Understandably not the case in all aquarium sizes).

I need a real hard think on this as I want to get it right (I’m a pain for changing my mind, as this thread probably highlights)

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and ideas. I’d like to do more research on the paludarium style tanks and hardscape only. With a view to change my mind and do something entirely different 😅

Hi all,
I’d like to do more research on the paludarium style tanks and hardscape only.
Have a look at <"Tom's Poco Pozo"> and @Iain Sutherland 's <"Splash tetra paludarium"> (below)

c7a2375feabe7e59ada28a48bb7876a8-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Yes I’ve always enjoyed the look of the half filled half planted tanks.

So a super simple setup has always been more appealing. But not in the low tech tank kind of vibe.
It’s hard to explain but I prefer a tank that looks well maintained and groomed to something that looks incredibly natural.
I think lowtech can have any aesthetic you want tbh. It tends to skew more natural because to many people find that aesthetically pleasing, easy and cheap, but you can do it in a minimalist neat way if you want. With the right type of hardscape and a clever plant choice, maybe a light backdrop on it to give it that clean white/gradient look you can get a natural-unnatural look that is still not difficult. I'm saving up atm to get a light backdrop which I think would really elevate my lowtech tank and give it more atmosphere. This style tank would mean the fish need to be fed though, rather than foraging for all their food which is the benefit of the naturalistic vibe.

These probably aren't lowtech, but 100% they could be done in lowtech, they all use easy plants. If you are happy to change water weekly though, you could do hightech too. The last Instagram link is a reel so you have to click on it to see it.

I guess the question is do you actually want an aquarium if you the naturalness of it bugs you? It used to annoy me too that things where never perfect or wouldn't sit in the right way or algae would be somewhere in a tank, but for me keeping aquariums has been about letting go of that and enjoying the big picture. It's actually been theraputic to acknowledge that I'm not always in control, and honestly I think it looks better for it. Maybe you could consider it an experiment and a collaboration, allow yourself to not always have to make things perfect.

Last edited:
It used to annoy me too that things where never perfect or wouldn't sit in the right way or algae would be somewhere in a tank, but for me keeping aquariums has been about letting go of that and enjoying the big picture.

I think a lot of us go through that process. We're initially drawn to the hobby by the pristine look of highly maintained and sculptured tanks, like competition tanks. However they can eventually become a little tiring (both to maintain and to look at) when you own one, and we start to crave something that a little more mystique and intrigue - and the shadowy, minimalist and more naturalistic look of more habitat/biotope style tank can start to appeal more.

It's a bit like visiting a country house - there's only so long you can spend walking around the pristine manicured estate gardens before you get a bit 'saturated', but head for the woodlands and you never tire of what you see.

Sometimes I think its more about what you can't see, discovering hidden things, and the prospect of seeing new things (and new livestock behaviours) which is sometimes more fulfilling than everything presented neatly in your face at 200 PAR. That's why I think sometimes the shadowy and unlit areas, and broken lines of sight, often seen in habitat style tanks create that intrigue and ongoing interest.

I recently set up a new 70 litre quarantine tank (as a result of your recent TB issue). I just put in a layer of silver sand, then a layer of well aged wet oak leaves on top, stuffed in a couple of easily removable pieces of root-like wood, a couple of large hand sized patches of anubias shoved in between the root branches, and some needle java on a small rock with very low lighting - all design to make new livestock comfortable, nothing more - no real thought to aesthetics. It's dark and gloomy at the back, and lit a bit more at the front, with some nice shimmer from the point source light and ripple from the HOB filter. It literally took me about half an hour to put together, and I think it's one of the best tanks I've ever had. I can't stop going into the fish room (aka boiler room) to look at it (and the Tangerine Tiger shrimp that are currently breeding in it), which kind of speaks volumes to me.

Anyway, that's all a bit philosophical for me for a Wednesday afternoon, I think I need a lie down!

Genuinely enjoyed reading peoples comments, and there’s so much food for thought.
Aquariums had always been an escape that became a little too much of an obsession.
Moving home helped to break that obsession for me, coupled with working so much. It does give me doubts about investing time into it again.
I think what I’m learning from the discussion is perhaps I need to really think about what I want from this aquarium.
There’s so much passion on this forum that often becomes infectious and provides motivation and inspiration but equally creates a desire to want something as equally beautiful as what’s often displayed on here.
This creates conflict between wanting a beautiful tank and wanting to continue the time I’ve had away from it.

It’s almost like I’ve quit cigarettes and have this urge to smoke again but I don’t want to.
o_O

Genuinely enjoyed reading peoples comments, and there’s so much food for thought.
Aquariums had always been an escape that became a little too much of an obsession.
Moving home helped to break that obsession for me, coupled with working so much. It does give me doubts about investing time into it again.
I think what I’m learning from the discussion is perhaps I need to really think about what I want from this aquarium.
There’s so much passion on this forum that often becomes infectious and provides motivation and inspiration but equally creates a desire to want something as equally beautiful as what’s often displayed on here.
This creates conflict between wanting a beautiful tank and wanting to continue the time I’ve had away from it.

It’s almost like I’ve quit cigarettes and have this urge to smoke again but I don’t want to.
o_O
Sounds like you’re just an artist feeling what every creative person feels, that frustrating gap between what we want to make in an ideal world and what we actually make in reality. I think that’s why people like contest scape, because they are like a fantasy world, but ultimately those fantasy worlds are created in a snapshot , but a real aquarium isn’t a photograph, it’s not a dead thing it’s a complex living ecosystem. Not to insult those tanks they are beautiful, but they are one style of many and all are equally valid and tbh I think beautiful. You’ve got to give it and yourself some slack! You’re not working in a medium which can be perfected in a human way, and frankly I think that’s what’s great about it!

I went through a similar thing after my big tank went horribly, and tbh again recently when I realised the stickleback tank wasn’t engaging. Luckily my nano tanks are very cute and thriving which helped me realise it’s not me not enjoying the hobby any more, just need to find the right balance of beauty, interesting animal behaviour and maintenance. I don’t think you should give it up, I think that this hobby can be very good for your health unlike the cigs, but it really is about finding the right tank and setup for your life. I know you came from marine so are used to big tanks, but maybe a smaller tank to rekindle the joy might help? Big tanks are WAY more effort, it’s just a fact. I get an enormous amount of joy from small tanks, and 60L on the large side of small is a brilliant size where you can keep a diverse range of fish, a lovely scape and it’s super manageable

I have also tried copying other peoples tanks loads and 75% of the time I just can’t do it as well as they do, or doesn’t look how I wanted it to. It’s the same with plants- I simply can’t grow them all for all sorts of reasons. But tbh as an artist and designer I think that’s always the case with creative pursuits - you copy and do trial and error so that your own natural style emerges, the copy isn’t the end point it’s the beginning. Honestly it’s a really hard process and loads of what we make in doing it will be rubbish , but there will be great parts too which are uniquely you. This is what I love about UKAPS, that in our journals we record our creative journeys and create something uniquely ours, every person takes what they’re interested in and runs with it, the diversity of ideas is fabulous. You can let the process torture you at every imperfect step, or you can enjoy the ride and allow yourself to make mistakes and change direction and experiment to see what happens.

I think a lot of us go through that process. We're initially drawn to the hobby by the pristine look of highly maintained and sculptured tanks, like competition tanks. However they can eventually become a little tiring (both to maintain and to look at) when you own one, and we start to crave something that a little more mystique and intrigue - and the shadowy, minimalist and more naturalistic look of more habitat/biotope style tank can start to appeal more.

It's a bit like visiting a country house - there's only so long you can spend walking around the pristine manicured estate gardens before you get a bit 'saturated', but head for the woodlands and you never tire of what you see.

Sometimes I think its more about what you can't see, discovering hidden things, and the prospect of seeing new things (and new livestock behaviours) which is sometimes more fulfilling than everything presented neatly in your face at 200 PAR. That's why I think sometimes the shadowy and unlit areas, and broken lines of sight, often seen in habitat style tanks create that intrigue and ongoing interest.

I recently set up a new 70 litre quarantine tank (as a result of your recent TB issue). I just put in a layer of silver sand, then a layer of well aged wet oak leaves on top, stuffed in a couple of easily removable pieces of root-like wood, a couple of large hand sized patches of anubias shoved in between the root branches, and some needle java on a small rock with very low lighting - all design to make new livestock comfortable, nothing more - no real thought to aesthetics. It's dark and gloomy at the back, and lit a bit more at the front, with some nice shimmer from the point source light and ripple from the HOB filter. It literally took me about half an hour to put together, and I think it's one of the best tanks I've ever had. I can't stop going into the fish room (aka boiler room) to look at it (and the Tangerine Tiger shrimp that are currently breeding in it), which kind of speaks volumes to me.

Anyway, that's all a bit philosophical for me for a Wednesday afternoon, I think I need a lie down!
Love this exactly! Great to hear you’re doing quarantining properly too got that fabulous big tank of yours. This is the same conclusion I’ve come to for my next tank - simple, easy, bold and perfect for the creatures. For me the thing I love about nature has always been the discovery- looking under a log in the forest, poopeering into the edge of a pond, lifting a large flat rock in a pool at the beach, see what lovely little creatures there are living and thriving in those little niches. That’s what I want to recreate in my tanks! I agree, when humans intervene too much it’s just never as good as what nature can do, that’s why tanks are so great that we get to work together. Luckily this style seems to be the easiest route for maintenance and cheaper to run which helps.😅

I’ve been having a GREAT time collecting twigs recently from all over the place, I really like with this style that there’sa good element of collecting my own materials too rather than buying it all. Feels holistic and right for me!

Last edited:
Back