• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

saintly's"henge the revenge the 3rd and final installment"

lljdma06

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2007
Messages
171
Location
Miami, FL
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

saintly said:
ermmm, thanks guys.

what with 2D foregrounds, and main stones, my confidence is taking a battering :lol:

Oh, and don't forget the merits of red plants and this next one. :woot:

I prefer the darker background. I know the light blue fading to white background is all popular now, and everything is supposed to be all crisp and fresh, but I don't know. I really liked the initial photo with the darker background. Lent an air of mystery to the whole scape and I thought the color play rather cool. It offered a different spin on the scape than the typical lighter backgrounds and it left me with a stronger impression. Just my opinion of things.

If you are happy with the current background, then by all means go for it. It is very lovely too.

llj
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Thread starter
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

lljdma06 said:
I prefer the darker background. I know the light blue fading to white background is all popular now, and everything is supposed to be all crisp and fresh, but I don't know. I really liked the initial photo with the darker background. Lent an air of mystery to the whole scape and I thought the color play rather cool. It offered a different spin on the scape than the typical lighter backgrounds and it left me with a stronger impression. Just my opinion of things.

If you are happy with the current background, then by all means go for it. It is very lovely too.

I'm just experimenting, playing. nothing is set stone. if i don't try I don't learn right?

I cant just look at the greats like amano and wonder to myself "how did he do that?" or" why does that work?" and not actually try it myself...that's crazy. :angelic:

thanks gill :thumbup:
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Thread starter
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

skinz180189 said:
Really like the layout of this tank, can't wait to see it grow out.
cheers bud,

1 week has passed, and for once i've not been across in the first week of it's existence. Also, it turned out they'd run out of KNO3 early in the week :wideyed: ...without telling me. So on arrival I wasn't sure what I was going to find, but thankfully it was OK.

The plants are doing what i expected with E tenellus transforming rather quickly and runners galore. HC is spreading nicely, hopefully filling in within 2 weeks i reckon.

Even though the shop has had a change around with staff etc. i've decided to continue with the scape. I've written out a dosing schedule which should be followed, so it's up to them now.

comparison shot, for anyone unsure on planting HC, this way, via plugs, works a treat and is so much quicker :D

comparison shots...

Planted
IMG_0003-01.jpg


1 week...
IMG_0211-01.jpg


IMG_0213-01.jpg
 

Jur4ik

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2008
Messages
195
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Mark,
what happens with the stonewool after a while?

Tank´s looking great :thumbup:
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Thread starter
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Jur4ik said:
what happens with the stonewool after a while?

nothing, it just stays there.The HC soon retakes what it feels is rightly it's own....space. i've never had a problem with rock wool. :D

aaronnorth said:
i am liking the amount of ricks ou have used.

quite a few mate, it was a struggle if I'm honest. but as my collection expands hopefully my stone placement will improve. i'm allwyas 1 or 2 short, or missing the "key" stone. 8)
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Mark, this is a top notch aquascape you've got going on here! I really like the foreground and rock placement etc, and how the plants are around the hardscape - it looks very natural and has a nice feel to it.
 

lljdma06

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2007
Messages
171
Location
Miami, FL
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

saintly said:
quite a few mate, it was a struggle if I'm honest. but as my collection expands hopefully my stone placement will improve. i'm allwyas 1 or 2 short, or missing the "key" stone. 8)

You are being a bit hard on yourself. I like it without a background too. I bet it looks pretty decent from the back. Any way we can get a back shot of the tank?

llj
 

TBRO

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2009
Messages
947
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Really nice rock layout, different take on Iwagumi with the sand fore-ground I'm a big fan of gravel foregounds currently.

I recently pulled up a HC carpet I'd planted and the rock wool was still there after six months (not that you'd ever know) makes life so much easier, I weighted my rockwool with wire wich also helped.

Keep up the excellent work, Tom
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Thread starter
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

TBRO said:
Really nice rock layout, different take on Iwagumi with the sand fore-ground I'm a big fan of gravel foregounds currently.

I recently pulled up a HC carpet I'd planted and the rock wool was still there after six months (not that you'd ever know) makes life so much easier, I weighted my rockwool with wire wich also helped.

Keep up the excellent work, Tom

thanks mate, yes the HC planted this way makes life easier. and IMVHO i actually think it's growing quicker this way.

lljdma06 said:
You are being a bit hard on yourself. I like it without a background too. I bet it looks pretty decent from the back. Any way we can get a back shot of the tank?

maybe, Llj. if you want a background shot, I'll do it just for you. :angelic:

rawr said:
Mark, this is a top notch aquascape you've got going on here! I really like the foreground and rock placement etc, and how the plants are around the hardscape - it looks very natural and has a nice feel to it.

thanks Thomas, each new scape brings something new to my table. so soon, in my home 120 optiwhite i may create something that's worthy. :D
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Thread starter
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: saintly's"henge the revenge...the 3rd and final installment"

so i've been quiet for a while (i here cheers :shh: ) and so with a little update on my latest iwagumi.

it's over 2 weeks old now and i've seen it 2 since setting it up. I'm totally confident in the new guy that's looking after it...as these images will show. i've upped co2 today to give the HC a little boost (pitfalls of not being with it all the time) I'd of done it ages ago.

The main stone has stayed put. I'd like to think it looks OK now things are growing around it. the art of iwagumi is still mysterious to me at times :crazy:

the usual ottos and shrimp have gone in and i've chosen some gold?...tetras. wonderful fish! shoal brilliant. there's just a handful for the time being, but I'll up the shoal to a size of about 40 or so.

I spent little time trying to get these images, but i just cant work without flash now so for 5 minutes shooting it took me 25 minutes to set up....but worth it.no dodging, burning or curves with these.

and so the images.There large ish so click on them for a larger view.

7.jpg


2.jpg


1.jpg


3.jpg


5.jpg


6.jpg


Critique away!!!!
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,987
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
looking very nice mark although from the photos the main rock seems to be a bit lost now in the green, cant quite put my finger on it but im sure it looks fine in the flesh. Still loving the graded layout in an iwagumi as its not often seen and usually covered in a lawn :)
 

lljdma06

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2007
Messages
171
Location
Miami, FL
Is that a black background I see there? I likey. Really brings out the gold tetras.

It's looking very good. :)

llj
 

John Starkey

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2007
Messages
1,601
Location
worcester
Very nice Mark,I like the use of the graded gravel adds a new dimension to the iwagumi style,

regards john.
 

afroturf

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2007
Messages
106
Location
Nottingham
Really great scape and pics, I also like the mix of stone and gravel. The rocks mini landscape right? Whats the gravel and pebbles you used? I'm planning on using mini landscape rocks in a future scape with graded gravel but the TGM gravels look kinda orange and look like they'd clash with the mini landsacpe rock.
 

fish.com1

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2008
Messages
176
Location
North Yorkshire
Great fish choice there exactly what I am going for in my tank. I saw them a few months back at my lfs, and did a bit of research and I believe they are not gold tetras but platinum tetras Hemigrammus vorderwinkleri
 
Top