saintlys sumatradriftwood scape

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Mark Evans, 26 Jul 2008.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

this is bit of a premature journal.

im still in process of getting everythig together.

i have:

1 tank arcadia 40x30x30
    lights 3 arcadia pods
    sand ADA bright sand
    3 pieces of sumatra drift wood.
    mini landscape rock.

i need:

co2 glass ware
    external filter.
    maybe a new lighting unit.
    AS amazonia

prepare for a call AE :D

plant wise?... new ground again. from researching mosses for sure. c helferi, glosso or hc probably glosso. small leaved stems red and green. my god so much to choose from :rolleyes:

anyway a pic...this is what i had before, no design, no scape. but i managed to keep the plants alive. basic co2 ladder etc etc...

_MG_8260-01.jpg

this is a basic plan, the wood is just thrown in. ive got another bit which im going to cut. im having a sand front. im using PS just to give the look of substrate. the stones to hold everything together.

_MG_7715-01.jpg

anyway, still a month or two away yet. gives me chance to choose plants, scape the thing and get my wife round to my way of thinking :lol:

mark

2. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Very cool Saintly.

3. passerby*

passerby* Member

cool stuff...another journal hey!..just out of interest what carpeting plant is tht in ur arcadia tank....(pictured above)
    cheers....passerby.

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

riccia on slate, and gloss. this was what really got me on the wagon know as "The Nature Aquarium"

this is how it started.you see i didnt have a clue, riccia over the gravel? :?

_MG_8049-01.jpg

this was my rena april this year, this is where it all started realy my first planted tank, i had some MAJOR issues with this thing.
    _MG_8073-01.jpg

mark

5. passerby*

passerby* Member

cheers for your reply....all your hard work pays off in the end though...more u put in, the more u get out... just a shame that saying seems to include money more than effort in the aquarium world ..lol

6. jay

jay Member

Like where this could be going.
    Must say though, I had that Sumatra wood stuff, not yours personally Mark :)
    Just the way they leave it with those sawn of branches. So ruins every scape I've ever seen with it.
    Some people cover them with moss etc. but I just look at them and think 'theres a cut end under there'.

Anyway, goodluck :p

7. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looking great, PM me when you need some mosses ;)

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

will do LD, thanks.

thanks folks.

tis rather expensive, seems that anything i do is expensive...thats what my wife says anyway.

9. nickyc

nickyc Member

Lol! My b/f used to say the same about me. Then he got a marine tank :D Expense on a planted tank [or 3 :oops: ] just pales into insignficance!!

10. spaldingaquatics

spaldingaquatics Member

If that's L.Sessiliflora like mine in that rena then the constant cutting back would be a hassle ;)

both tanks looking great btw

11. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

thankfully thst tank ended a few months ago. that was my "learning to grow plants" stage. i had no idea about aquascaping.

i'll have to try and get my wife into it. i did buy the optiwhite for her birthday present, but she said she didnt want it....i had do have it! :lol: ungratefull :lol:

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Any updates?

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

yeh, i'll be starting soon. it's to be set up at my mothers. waiting for ADA AS.

mark

14. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

cool 8)

15. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

this scape has been suspended. im now concentrating on my big tank total rescape. this is currently being run as a nursery. with plants donated kindly by john starkey and london dragon :D thanks chaps.

donation to ukaps coming.

this is purely and simply a holding tank now, these plants are not part of a scape, just in there to grow. as with the moss's and riccia.it's going to get more cluttered soon ;)

_MG_8109-01.jpg

saintly's iwagumi part 3 to come. hopefully with valuable lessons learnt.

mark

16. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looking forward to the new scape, never tried mosses until I joined this forum and got some donated by Ed, now I have a pretty good collection going, just love them.
    So far I have Weeping, Spiky, Xmas, Taiwan, Flame, Willow moss and also some Fissidens fontanus :)

17. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

thanks LD. now i can see the moss for real, it's a fabulous plant also. even though my big tank is a total nursery mess. i can see how things will look in my next scape(i think) i want it to be quite complicated in layout. ambitious is the word, i think.textures, colour, stones wood. the whole damn lot! :lol:

_MG_8187-01.jpg

18. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

cool shot 8)

19. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi Mark,nice looking limnophila aromatica you have there :lol: ,regards john

20. durtydurty

durtydurty Member

How do you get the what I presume is vallis to grow like that at the back of the tank?

Its the look Im going for buts it yet to grow that thick.