• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shooting tanks with off camera flash?

I use my external just for macros of shrimp and plants and some fish, I always position it above the tank on wireless and also have the built in flash on to eliminate any shadows.

What you have to watch out for is the white balance, it can cause havoc to the colours!!

I tried off-camera with my 430 too but get better results using tank lighting, personally.

There's Aquasaur about on several forums that uses 430 and built-in flash to great effect. His macros are awesome.

Studio lighting is the future, but at a price, of course. Some entry level kits cost around £200 which ironically isn't much more than the 430 these days.

Lencarta studio lighting used to be really cheap on eBay, but since they got some really good reviews they have bumped up the prices. Their gear is wireless though.

Dave.

i've got my bowens lights now, i bought the gemini kit, so it's time for me to learn a few skills, these things are AWESOME

_MG_2002-01.jpg

_MG_2000-01.jpg

George Farmer said:
Bowens eh? Very nice.

it is that George. pricey for entry level @ £500, but i can add anything from the bowens range with this kit (batteries for out door shoots etc etc) i also bought a soft box, damn those things are pricey.

you get the 2 lights,stands, umbrellas, leads, and a lovetchly bag to carry it all in..... you'll have to borrow it one day.

aaronnorth said:
sorry for the hi-jack, Tom.

me too.

375w should be enough i'd say, but i'm not 100%sure. sworral is in more of a position to comment. lighting is still new to me, so I'm in the dark (excuse the pun)

this image is just to show the light with softbox, of course thats NOT where I'll put to shoot images. theres a ton of experimentation to be had.

_MG_2081-01.jpg

mate, if you can remember as far back as this time last year...these images were with cheap tunsten bulbs. 500w babies. there interfit lights if you want to google them

you really need to watch the WB as there warm in tone.

_MG_0220-01.jpg

they still gave a good effect though.

_MG_0172-01.jpg

really really sorry to hijak this thread :oops:

Back