• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps unhappy in a small UNS

AlecF

I have 5 yellow neocardinia in this small UNS 45 cm tank. They scoot around a lot in a stressed way. It's happening too constantly to be mating behaviour, though the female was carrying eggs. I can easily move them to another larger tank, although it has reds so I'm a bit concerned about cross breeding. I accept if the tank feels too small for them, but I'm a little surprised. I'd kept them very happily in a 35 cm 30 litre tank before, though maybe the depth of that helped. The TDS is 160 ppm and all the parameters are fine, no ammonia, nitrates low, PH 6.5, plenty to browse on, lots of floating plants, leaves, regular courgette feeds (which they ignore). I could put some of the baby reds in there instead? This is barely a question, as I am accepting their behaviour is a clear indication. But I think other people here have shrimps in similar small tanks, so I was just curious. It's a shame to have nothing but snails in the tank, which generally I am happy with, modest as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_141007.jpg
    IMG_20231130_141007.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 199
We have the same (literally, from the same parents) reds in just a 25cm*25cm and yellows in a 30cm*30cm, and both groups are a thriving, growing colony. Our water is, I assume, identical, although I have NT Labs test kit (KH 0-1, GH 3-4) so don't know my TDS. No CO2, 8hr lights. Only real difference is I am aquasoil, so I'd be redoing the tank with that and less mulm, maybe the sand is compacted(?). Oh, I've more stems and less floaters so might be an O2 exchange issue

Thanks. The reds are thriving and have lots of babies, in the UNS 60. I do have a sponge filter on the smaller ONS. I can try adding an air stone. And I'll remove some floaters. I don't think the substrate is the issue. The tank feels very clean and there's no leakage.

I have an air stone bubbling away. I've done a 70% water change. I've added a little more sand in case there was any leeching from the substrate. I've added some more plants, but there was already a lot of juncus, and some siamesis. I;ve tested ammonia, which is fine. I took out a few leaves, including a cherry leaf, in case that was an issue. I've cleaned most of the mulm. They are still "wheeching" about, as we say here. I'm a bit mystified.

Mystifying it is, indeed. Who knows what particular species (probably organic) makes them stressed? And although you made reasonable moves towards improving oxygen budget, who knows whether they were enough?
I'd suggest increased water changes. After all, it's the only safe way to dilute unknown problem (unless it comes with new water).

If they look like they are on the hunt there could be a female/females that are ready to breed and are releasing pheromones attracting them. If it’s not this then I can only point to a possibility it could be the cherry leaf, I only say this because I had thought about using Cherry flowers to feed shrimp in the past but I have always chickened out because they contain cyanide and I worried they may have caused harm, you’ve removed the leaf now so if this was the cause then there should be gradual remediation of the issue, if not something else might be at play.

:)

Hi all,
The TDS is 160 ppm and all the parameters are fine, no ammonia, nitrates low, PH 6.5, plenty to browse on, lots of floating plants, leaves, regular courgette feeds (which they ignore).
Personally mystified, it looks a perfect tank. The only suggestion I have is that I might try and <"harden the water"> a bit? <"GH/KH for dummies">
If it’s not this then I can only point to a possibility it could be the cherry leaf, I only say this because I had thought about using Cherry flowers to feed shrimp in the past but I have always chickened out because they contain cyanide and I worried they may have caused harm
That is a distinct possibility.

cheers Darrel

Just to say things have calmed down and I think, in fact, in must have been the female gushing off pheromones, for days and days. From a human perspective it always perplexes me why, in such a small tank, the M and F can't just find one another and get it on, but that doesn't seem to be how shrimp romance works. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Joanna Lumley as Mrs Shrimp and Steve Martin as all the crazy male shrimps.

Thanks. Inspired by some of the similar attempts here. I hadn't realised how lovely it would be having. tank that relates to all the changes in the light on that sill.

Back