• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Silver Lining - Alex's 96l (Planted)

Nick16

i dont know if i missed it somewhere in this topic
where did you get your lilies from? what diameter are they? E.g 17mm

fish.com1

Thanks everyone, thats made my day :)

Nick the lily pipes are from ebay and are the 13mm ones

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Infl...Fish?hash=item29fe3c2ce8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I think they do 17mm ones though if thats what your looking for.

Back to the tank, I have done a 50% water change tonight and installed the timers, drop checker, and made the tpn+ :)

I put some cetarophlyumm demersum on the surface last night, but it "malted" everywhere, so I have taken it out.

Thanks for looking
Alex

fish.com1

The tank is now a week old, and there haven't been any major problems. Some wood came loose a few days ago and I mucked up the substrate a bit while I repositioned it, and also the filter outlet wasn't blasting the c02 around effectively, but I have fixed that and apart from them minor problems, everything is going smoothly :)

There is no signs of algae. I currently have the c02 on from 4-8, and the lights from 5-9, and am dosing 5mls of tpn+ every day. I trimmed back the bolbitis midweek, but apart from the eleocharis, I haven't seen much noticable growth, maybe one or two new anubias leaves.

Here are some pictures. I had a better go at photographing the tank tonight. I messed around with raising the iso, aperture, shutter speed etc, and I think these photos (the full tank shot one anyway) are a bit better than the last ones.

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

And the full tank shot
DSC_0646.jpg

Thanks for looking. Please leave your thoughts :)
Alex

fish.com1

Thanks everyone for the great comments! :)

I might try to move the small rocks at the right further forward to take up some more space at the right side. It is looking a little bare over there.

Cheers
Alex

Garuf

How about an anubias on a hunk of rock on the right side? I think that'd look good, maybe with some moss too. That's a really really nice tank you should be very proud of yourself! :clap:

fish.com1

Thanks Garuf :)

Heres some photos from tonight - there not great, i was in a bit of a rush :rolleyes:

DSC_0849-1.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

As you can hopefully see from the images, the hydrocotyle is sending a few new shoots out and one has reached around 6 inches high! I thought verticalata stayed lower than that? Anyway I like how it is poking through the other plants.The anubias has taken off slowly, some of them had to be removed because the leaves were melting at the base. I think some of the rockwool which I didnt get off may have been suffocating the leaves around the rhizome? There are some new bolbitis leaves but they are still quite smalll at the minute.

I am now doing water changes (50%) three times a week, and will hopefully be adding shrimp/otos soon :) How many otos will I need? I was thinking 6-8?

Thanks for looking
Alex

andyh

Hey Alex

Really like the look of this and it will be great once it fills out a little more.

Hyrdocotyle is an excellent plant, i have plenty in my tank and yes it can grown quite tall, but responds well to a good pruning now and again.

:thumbup:

fish.com1

chilled84 said:
how much money have you got lol lol :crazy:

Not a lot actually, I just happened to save for a long time ;)
andyh said:
Hey Alex

Really like the look of this and it will be great once it fills out a little more.

Hyrdocotyle is an excellent plant, i have plenty in my tank and yes it can grown quite tall, but responds well to a good pruning now and again.

:thumbup:

Thanks Andy :) When the hydrocotyle has filled out a little i'll give it a good cut back :thumbup:

Thanks
Alex

fish.com1

I've got some new pictures of the tank as it is today -

CSC_1667.jpg

DSC_1668.jpg

DSC_1671.jpg

Everyting has been going ok, no serious catastrophes or anyhting. One of the outflow pipes and the glass diffuser managed to break while I was cleaning them, but luckily I had the tetra spare and the plastic diffuser which came with the c02 kit to hand. I doubt I will replace either of them becuase the spraybar and plastic diffuser are fine and the new diffuser is doing a better job than the glass one. I can't really justify the cost of new parts anyway, especially since there doing a fine job.

There havent been any major algae issues just a bit of GSA on the glass. I have added 6 ottos and they have been in the tank for 2 weeks now and seem to be eating fine. I have removed one piece of wood, and added more sand and gravel, and given the fissidens its first trim.

Here are some more images

DSC_1636.jpg

DSC_1634.jpg

Im going for Rummy noses instead of platinums, but when I will be getting them I dont know yet, probably after christmas. I also wanted some shrimp but they'll have to wait till i've got some more money. :rolleyes:

Errm i've probably forgotten a lot of things but anyway thanks for looking