• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

jaypeecee

Hi Folks,

Can anyone help me identify the attached snail photo? My first thought was some form of Ramshorn - for obvious reasons. But, Ramshorns seem to carry their shell vertically - upright. This snail that I have inherited (one of many) is a horizontal creature (including shell). I don't think the snail is dead as it has moved since I took the photo. And this is what I have observed of the others. They do move in this orientation. The snail is about 2 - 3 mm in diameter. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

JPC

Attachments

• 20200424_105503.jpg
    20200424_105503.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 207
That's a Planorbis alright.. :) And its a quite a large family... My best guess it might be young Planorbarius corneus, Great ramshorn, widely spread across Europe.

What we commonly encounter in our aquariums as the smaller variety might be the Planorbis planorbis or the Gyraulus laevis.

Its a guess what it truly is...

Last edited:
Hi @zozo

Thanks a bunch. I greatly appreciate your reply.

I'll now disappear into a corner with a nice cup of coffee and read about these creatures.

Thanks again!

JPC

Back