Squirrels

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Egmel, 2 Sep 2008.

1. Egmel

Egmel Member

As much as i despise the little blighters they do make good subjects!

A very symmetrical squirrel
    2780301215_912feed002.jpg
    Full res available from the flickr photo page.

With a friends kid
    2781159290_61d99d3acb.jpg

Camera is a simple 4mp point and shoot (Konica KD-400Z probably the worlds most indestructible digital camera). I've done a little post processing but mainly just cropping and some colour correction.

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

we get squirrles all the time in our garden, there is a massive field next to our house :D

That 1st pic is wierd, even the shape of the tail is the same :? :lol:

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

the first pic is great. slightly too tight on the crop but still good. why, you can even see his nuts...

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Nice photos, I have taken so many of squirrels ;)

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

for me the crop is too tight. even when given the best photo opportunity of wildlife the common thing to do is to shoot as close as you can get or get your zoom out and zoom in!

for example this is what id taken last week, nothing special but for explanation purposes only. this is a cropped version close up as alot of people do.some people would go even closer.

25ae0e03.jpg

why not try and include some natural surroundings? even in a zoo there are angles that can eliminate the sense of captivity.

e49f7c12.jpg

BTW the first image is a crop of the second...and the second images is cropped too. just goes to show how much detail the 5d captures and how big the prints can be! ;)

6. Egmel

Egmel Member

Well here's the original
    2781157794_93bea73536_b.jpg

The reason for the tight crop is because I hadn't left myself much play at top and bottom. To enhance the symmetry I cropped either side at the apex of the fence loops.

Unfortunately there were people just a couple of feet either side of him and the background contains that awful meshing. He really wasn't in a position for a nice in-situ shot.

These were a couple of others I took before I realised quite how tame he was.
    2780300261_6a6d0023e4.jpg 2780300491_dfe5573517.jpg
    I really don't think this one does my subject any justice ;)

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

fair enough,