• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne repens slow?

Rasbora

I planted Staurogyne repens in my new 90 litre low tech tank three weeks ago:
Plain fine gravel
Grobeam 600 photoperiod 10 hours
23C
Good circulation
EI dosing
EasyCarbo daily

Other plants in the tank (Echinodorus, Saggitaria) are growing away well, but the S. repens doesn't seem to have moved and is getting GDA (Ammano shrimp going in there tomorrow). Am I being impatient or would I be better advised to give up on it and replace it with something else?
If the latter, any suggestions for a fairly tough foreground plant for these conditions?

14165917723_24d1413ebd_b_d.jpg

Those are the leggiest S. Reps I have ever seen. In my experience when plants like S. Reps grow tall with that much space between leaves, the light is low and the plant is stretching to reach the light. I'm not sure how much space there is between your lights and your substrate and I have no experience with your fixture to comment on that either.

When I had two T5HO's on my tank, my S. Reps were growing up and semi leggy, but not quite like yours. I switched that fixture out to 4x24w T5HO 10" from substrate and growth is quick and bushy now. I propagate an inch every 2 weeks. I am dealing with so GSA right now because of the increase in lighting. I'm still dialing in my co2 and ferts to accommodate the new growth speed.

Also if these were grown emersed or in water parameters far different than what you have in your tank, acclimation can tank up to a month.

Do you have any ferts in the substrate? S. Reps feed from the substrate quite a bit. I use osmocote+ and Flourish tabs.

20140508_182802_zpsfd756b31.jpg

20140508_182907_zps1c7e331b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. They were pretty leggy when they arrived, grown emerged. I'll add some Osmocote to the substrate, thanks.

Your plants look like they were entering generative stage (=about to flower and reproduce) when you received them. Staurogyne repens will grow longer internodes when doing that, and the tips of your plants look like beginning of flowering stems.
My advice is to cut the tips off, thereby inducing new growth. This will be vegetative (=growing leaves only) and adapted to life under water.
- and even without the generative stage, it's not uncommon for Staurogyne repens, to take it's time to adapt ;)

Back