• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's ADA 120P - Emerald Isles

Niiiice! Keep it coming :thumbup:

I might have missed it but what sort of photo period and bubble count are you running? Also what's the plan regarding tenants?

Niiiice! Keep it coming :thumbup:

I might have missed it but what sort of photo period and bubble count are you running? Also what's the plan regarding tenants?

Cheers :)

Photo period is both tiles running 100% for 8 hours with 30 mins ramp up and down included in that, bps is set to 2.5 - 3 through up inline diffuser.

Tenants not sure yet, thinking large school of cardinals as you can't beat the classics, maybe an apisto or two, but leaning toward cherry shrimp instead of apistos plus some ottos. :)

How about 30+ microdevario kubotai? Think different ;)

I did think about them but they don't school as well as harlequins or cardinals, plus would need like 70 odd to make a real impact. I was looking at lampeye killis but they're terrible jumpers, I will carry on looking but if all else fails it will prob be cardinals.

How about Rasbora Vulcanus? Good looking fish and natural schooling

If you like rasboras, "purple harlequins" (hinted to be a natural mutation that has been line bred) - after some reservation I got some from my lfs, colors can get very intense, deep blue/purple becomes almost black & can extend quite far "forward", gold/orange iridescence "patch" can extend from mouth to dorsal fin

Chocolate gouramis - get in a group of ~ 20, it's very interesting to watch their behavior (introduce whatever "dither" fish first as your tank is high light etc, also wait for plants to grow in somewhat), they hunt everywhere picking up the last bits of food (I feed frozen)

Oddly I've kept lamp eyes on several occasions & seldom lost any as jumpers BUT house is pretty quite & traffic passes several feet from tank; they are terrible gluttons though, when chococlate gouramis were still settling in, the lamp eyes looked ready to burst after feeding, now they only get a nice roundness.

"Green Neons" (only available as wild caught locally) - stay smaller than cardinals, and I really like their iridescence when tank is only lit with ambient lighting .

Very much like your scape!

Take your time looking at fish, maybe get shrimp established first (by a couple weeks) - I have Dicrossus filamentosus (supposedly, but looking more like maculatus now) & they are rather easier with the shrimp than most apistos

Another try!

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/brachydanio-sp-hikari/

If you can find them. They're schoolers too :D

They'd be nice but yeah having trouble finding them, thanks for the suggestions :).

If you like rasboras, "purple harlequins" (hinted to be a natural mutation that has been line bred) - after some reservation I got some from my lfs, colors can get very intense, deep blue/purple becomes almost black & can extend quite far "forward", gold/orange iridescence "patch" can extend from mouth to dorsal fin

Chocolate gouramis - get in a group of ~ 20, it's very interesting to watch their behavior (introduce whatever "dither" fish first as your tank is high light etc, also wait for plants to grow in somewhat), they hunt everywhere picking up the last bits of food (I feed frozen)

Oddly I've kept lamp eyes on several occasions & seldom lost any as jumpers BUT house is pretty quite & traffic passes several feet from tank; they are terrible gluttons though, when chococlate gouramis were still settling in, the lamp eyes looked ready to burst after feeding, now they only get a nice roundness.

"Green Neons" (only available as wild caught locally) - stay smaller than cardinals, and I really like their iridescence when tank is only lit with ambient lighting .

Very much like your scape!

Take your time looking at fish, maybe get shrimp established first (by a couple weeks) - I have Dicrossus filamentosus (supposedly, but looking more like maculatus now) & they are rather easier with the shrimp than most apistos

Good point with the lampeyes I actually lost them in the past when lights went out but now they ramp down it might be a possibility.

I'm not a fan of chocolates really but will look into the green neons, could be possible if they school well, defo gonna go for shrimp, will more than likely be CRS or Cherrys.

Checkerboards look good too my LFS stocks them,

Cheers :).

Well so far we've had a slight diatom outbreak low down on a few rocks, think it's mainly due to the dry start water level being a bit high as it's grown right where the level was, picking up an electric toothbrush to keep the rocks clean and dropped the lighting to 60%.

Still doing 50% water changes for the next few days, thought I'd keep them up for 10 days before I drop to every other day.

Bought some more trident for the wood as the one AE sent is huge leaved and I prefer the thinner stuff, got some more fissidens as what's left after the dry start is a bit sporadic.

Anyway will upload some pics this weekend once the new twinstar disc and lily pipe arrives and once I've sorted the new additions, should be able to take out the dozen rocks holding down the wood too. :)

Couple of new additions and updates, added 50 cardinals, 10 cherry shrimp and unfortunately lost about 10-15 cardinals as they got caught on the inlet pipes, :( decided to cover them with stainless steel mesh and now we have happy cardinals. Took out the huge trident for the thinner variety, getting some good growth from the plants too, the Paulustris has melted away quite badly but some is surviving, just letting everything thicken up till trim one, the Staurogyne is looking good, Hairgrass has a few runners and the Stellata is perking up nicely. Ordered some Weeping Moss too as the manzy is losing its blackened coating which means a lot of the DSM moss vanished with it, anyway, a couple of pics. :)

16062749974_f1228fc03c_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16497496968_5c73f4ac49_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16477807027_92c4dd69a1_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16683741951_f33eccac0a_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

Back