• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stupid lightning question

Mark12345

Hello first post, I’ve been lurking in the background.
Ive just come back to fishkeeping after many years away. I decided to start with a small tank, then quickly decided I’d like a larger tank, I went for the Oase highline 300 because the wife liked the cabinet, it arrived today and i’m looking forward to getting started.
I’m now looking at buying the Oase premium led 100 lights, this may be a really stupid question, but do they work straight out of the box or do I require to buy a separate transformer.
Thanks for reading
Mark

Hi @Mark12345 and welcome to UKAPS! :). .... absolutely not a stupid question, in this day and age when you buy electronics you can't be absolutely sure a power supply / transformer is included - they are actually not really that cheap to make due to material cost so some products won't ship with one to keep perceived cost down. It's still not super clear whether the Oase premium led 100 actually ships with the transformer.

This is the content of the box according to OASE's website:
  1. Operating instructions
  2. LED spotlight
  3. Universal adapter
  4. Connection cable
The transformer is not explicitly mentioned - I would check with OASE or the retailer you are buying from.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response, I’ve been looking everywhere.
I agree w/ the fact the power supply is NOT included (see transformer)
E refers to FIg E ect..from the manual.

E, F
The EAC transformer is required for the power sup-
ply. (→ Accessories)
BTW your question isn't stupid but light sure is.
Do they think they are Apple or what.

Actually I'm still not sure...
SYSTEM ACCESSORIES: The OASE Control Aquarium Transformer 120 W is an essential accessory for the Aquarium Controller and IR Control sets.

Last edited:
What about the lights themselves @oreo57, are they good?

Personally I've always used pretty cheap lights - I am sort of an ignoramus when it comes to aquarium lights. I just go with cheap panels that makes my tanks look good to my eyes...

Cheers,
Michael
tank specs
45.2"x19.6"x22" deep
80 gal

100 specs:
39"-47"
83W
2980 Lumens.
660nm red diodes, ww, cw, blue
120 degree
waterproof

There are no red flags in the specs besides the premium charged for sort of being part of a set.
And my bewilderment on EXACTLY how much it would cost once all the "parts" are procured.

The odd tank size makes picking "aftermarket" lighting a challenge.
The normal 48" Hyggar, which would be too wide but have about the same specs is only $72.99US
72W
IP68
3346 lumens
48-55"
Next size down is
36-42"

Neither fits a 45" tank...you see the issue I suspect.

Just to confirm, the Oase premium100 led lights do require a separate purchase of a transformer at£109.99, no wonder they don’t advertise the fact really is it. 😡
I think it's really terrible that they are not crystal clear about this on their website. It essentially makes the light a 355 GBP purchase ... I wonder what else you need to buy "extra".... I mean, will you even be able to fully control the lights without the EAC Controller box (a mere 270 GBP extra...) ? keep us posted!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just to confirm, the Oase premium100 led lights do require a separate purchase of a transformer at£109.99,
The transformer doesn't need to be a specific model, it just needs to have the right spec and connectors. For the lab. kit if you buy transformers for BioPacs etc from their agent they are silly money, but if you have the specs you can buy non-branded ones for 1/10 the price.

@oreo57 or @sparkyweasel may be able to suggest an option, but I'm guess that the connector (below) would be the issue (the transformer will be a bog standard one).
eac_transformer.jpg

I think it's really terrible that they are not crystal clear about this on their website. It essentially makes the light a 355 GBP purchase ... I wonder what else you need to buy "extra".... I mean, will you even be able to fully control the lights without the EAC Controller box (a mere 270 GBP extra...) ?
There are no red flags in the specs besides the premium charged for sort of being part of a set.
And my bewilderment on EXACTLY how much it would cost once all the "parts" are procured.
The normal 48" Hyggar, which would be too wide but have about the same specs is only $72.99US
I'd be honest that would stop be buying any OASE product.
Do they think they are Apple or what.
Along with <"Seachem">, also on my "non-purchase" list. It isn't the products per se it is the advertising, built in obsolescence and price gouging.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

The transformer doesn't need to be a specific model, it just needs to have the right spec and connectors. For the lab. kit if you buy transformers for BioPacs etc from their agent they are silly money, but if you have the specs you can buy non-branded ones for 1/10 the price.
I like this suggestion. As long as the amps you can draw and voltage (24V) is compatible I suspect a generic transformer would work.
@oreo57 or @sparkyweasel may be able to suggest an option, but I'm guess that the connector (below) would be the issue (the transformer will be a bog standard one).

I'd be honest that would stop be buying any OASE product.
Me too ✋ ( ...Heck yeah, we are like "influencers" now that takes down Big (evil) Aquarium Light companies :lol: )

On a serious note, I must say that selling a pieces of 245 GBP equipment without making it abundantly clear that you need an "extra" that cost almost 50% of the equipment to make it usable, sort of takes the cake as being super misleading....

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
On a serious note, I must say that selling a pieces of 250 GBP equipment without making it abundantly clear that you need an "extra" that cost almost 50% of the equipment sort of takes the cake as being super misleading....
I'm just asking for a <"bit of honesty">, before my cash goes in their direction. I don't think it is to the long term advantage of these companies (or anybody else) to act like <"payday lenders">.
It also offers opportunities to sell test kits and bacterial supplements, in a way that "time and plants" doesn't. There is a line in the film <"The Big Short">, which sort of sums it up.
The truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry.
I'm off to watch <"Glengarry, Glen Ross"> now, probably followed by some of Donald Trump's speeches.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
Great movie - phenomenal cast!
It is f*cking fantastic, it maybe one of the most expletive filled films of all time, but the ensemble and acting are great.

I went to see it when it came out in the <"Little Cinema"> in Bath (why watch one film, when you can listen to two simultaneously?) and a lot of the audience walked out (and probably from the other film showing as well, as that must have been just as expletive filled 2nd hand, so to speak).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Whoa, did not expect that from Oase, but massive red flag if it does not come plug and play.
Any non-Oase transformer will likely be an ammo for them to not honour warranty in case anything goes wrong with the light.

In the end it's a premium product and personally I'd buy it all from Oase, or it will be like putting cheap Chinese tyres on M Sport BMW/AMG Mercedes - thought of this analogy as I see a lot of them at Lidl car park :D

EDIT:

I recall seeing George Farmer's video where he shows Twinstar under the hood of his Oase tank - I believe there's a member trying to sell his Twinstar900S for peanuts on UKAPS right now - maybe that will work for you as an alternative.

Matt

Last edited:
Back