• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stupid lightning question

Mark12345

Hello first post, I’ve been lurking in the background.
Ive just come back to fishkeeping after many years away. I decided to start with a small tank, then quickly decided I’d like a larger tank, I went for the Oase highline 300 because the wife liked the cabinet, it arrived today and i’m looking forward to getting started.
I’m now looking at buying the Oase premium led 100 lights, this may be a really stupid question, but do they work straight out of the box or do I require to buy a separate transformer.
Thanks for reading
Mark

Any non-Oase transformer will likely be an ammo for them to not honour warranty in case anything goes wrong with the light.
Oh definitely!

I went to see it when it came out in the <"Little Cinema"> in Bath (why watch one film, when you can listen to two simultaneously?) and a lot of the audience walked out (and probably from the other film showing as well, as that must have been as expletive filled 2nd hand, so to speak).
2nd hand exposure to expletives... thats hilarious! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Im pretty sure all lights come with a power supply dont they ? Never heard of such a case before. Wait for the lights to arrive if you have ordered them before ordering a separate power supply especially if its a pain to return.

Even BMW wouldn't sell the car and then demand more cash for the tyres. :)
Actually it's even worse with cars. Many features are now available on a subscription basis. Let's use heated seats as an example. Because of manufacturing complexity costs, it is actually cheaper for BMW to ship all cars with heating capable seats. So you buy your circa ~50k car that has heated seats installed, but you can't use them unless you pay a monthly subscription. There are other features like suspension modes etc. BMW is not the only company, they pretty much all do this. Consumer is at fault here 100% - was not receptive and this practice became standard. What's next? Seatbelts? Air bags?

Let's use heated seats as an example. Because of manufacturing complexity costs, it is actually cheaper for BMW to ship all cars with heating capable seats. So you buy your circa ~50k car that has heated seats installed, but you can't use them unless you pay a monthly subscription.
Am I hearing this right? Subscription based heated seats? ... are you kidding me. Well, here in the brutally cold Minnesota, BMWs (sedans) are pretty much useless half the year and I believe a large percentage of the higher-end European cars "sold" here in the US are leased anyway.

As consumers we are being nickel-and-dimed to death.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello everyone! First post on Ukaps! I have to say that this forum is really a gold mine and helped me a lot to build my first tank a couple of months ago. Hope I will be able to help too once I get more experience in the hobby.

@Mark12345 I’m late to the party but did you eventually get those lights? If so did you like them? It’s not easy to find feedback about the highline premium leds on forums or YouTube… I have an OASE Styline 85 and was wondering if it is a worthy upgrade over the classic leds. The whole package is quite expensive if I include the power supply + an EAC or remote control to be able to make them dimmable.

Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone! First post on Ukaps! I have to say that this forum is really a gold mine and helped me a lot to build my first tank a couple of months ago. Hope I will be able to help too once I get more experience in the hobby.

@Mark12345 I’m late to the party but did you eventually get those lights? If so did you like them? It’s not easy to find feedback about the highline premium leds on forums or YouTube… I have an OASE Styline 85 and was wondering if it is a worthy upgrade over the classic leds. The whole package is quite expensive if I include the power supply + an EAC or remote control to be able to make them dimmable.

Thanks a lot.
With hindsight, I wouldn't have bought them. The lights then I required a power supply just to get them working on the basic functions. To get the lights to perform the most basic functions they require an infa red controller, this gives you pre set functions. I believe to be able to set the lights to your own preference they then require yet another very expensive piece of equipment (eac).
The lights themselves seem fine, but when you total up the price they don't do what other lights do for a fraction of the cost. I bought them because I was struggling to find another set which fit under the aquarium hood and were of the required dimensions.
I can't fault the lights, but at the cost I really can't recommend them on value for money. I also found information hard to come by.
That said I love the tank and their filter.
Hope this helps and doesn't come across as me just bad mouthing.
Mark

Really helpful thank you! Your feedback tend to confirm the feeling I had about these lights: good quality but not so good value for money. It’s true that finding lights when you have a tank with a hood is not easy. I struggle to find options for my Oase tank. Most of the lights on the market are not water resistant or not designed to be under a hood due to heat dissipation. I recently found the mitras lightbars from GHL that could fit but once again, not a lot of feedback about those lights on forums. They seem to be less expensive than the Oase ones though.

Cheers,
Nico

Really helpful thank you! Your feedback tend to confirm the feeling I had about these lights: good quality but not so good value for money. It’s true that finding lights when you have a tank with a hood is not easy. I struggle to find options for my Oase tank. Most of the lights on the market are not water resistant or not designed to be under a hood due to heat dissipation. I recently found the mitras lightbars from GHL that could fit but once again, not a lot of feedback about those lights on forums. They seem to be less expensive than the Oase ones though.

Cheers,
Nico
Sort of funny, GHL Mitras are about the most expensive ($/par) than any of the other saltwater premium brands.
And most sw lights are more expensive than fw lights. Well a bit because saltwater are generally much stronger but again $/par is an equalizer.

Also in this day an age " automation" should be standard or reasonable.

That said I was just looking at an ada replacement ps for it's RGB solar on SALE for over$100. You could buy a Meanwell equiv. for no more than $50 and prob. a lot less.
Amazing how much a plug costs .

If ghl is cheaper than someone elses products run away......fast. 😁

Back