• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suspended T5 lighting, what to go for?!!

Chrispowell

Hi everyone,

I have just ordered a brand new aquarium to start my first aquascaping experience! Its roughly 4ft wide by 2ft deep and 1.5ft tall. Im wanting to add a suspended t5 unit above it with either 4 or 6 bulbs (open to advice).

I would like to grow most plants, basically have enough light for carpeting plants and if its down to lighting then would love to see some reds developing.

My budget is around £150 - £250 for this, is it possible and if so what can people recommend? Looking for minimal light spill as the tank is in my living room next to the sofa!

Many Thanks

Chris

All pondsolutions do light units that have a second power cable so you can stagger lighting on a timer. Handy if you want 2 bulbs on for 6 hrs with a 2 hr peak with 4bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4ft wide by 2ft deep and 1.5ft tall.
You'll want 4 T5 tubes in order to get reasonably even light distribution across the 60cm width/depth - sounds an excellent tank for aquascaping :cool:
Given excellent (design & material) reflectors combined with HO tubes, you shouldn't be limited in terms of plant species but you'll need to balance CO2 to match light levels.

To limit light spill, consider luminaire design (this is mostly a function of cost) or a DIY "box" to surround light source (whether LED or T5)

TMC has discontinued the Aquabars a couple years back so stock will be fairly limited by now, the "replacement" is an LED that plugs into T5 fittings (I cant seem to get the Aquaray website to load, but there are some good details on their light systems there)

If you find a 6 lamp luminaire, look for individual control of pair of T5 tubes - it's unlikely that you'll want/need tubes 5 & 6 except for "burst" light to bring out reds or accelerate growth etc
Likely the biggest issue you'll have is finding a luminaire that offers even tube placement over the 60cm width (that DIY luminaire - if you're handy that way - is likely the most budget friendly solution)
The unit you've linked above is only 24cm wide so you'll need to plan shaded areas in your tank design, whether along the front or back wall.

If you look at George Farmer's recent journal he went with 2 Kessil A360's (very far off your hoped for budget but it does provide good light distribution)

You might look at used lighting systems (ukaps classified requires 25 posts I believe)

First off, a huge thanks for everyone's input!

I have been offered 2 A150 kessils for a great price but on reading reviews it looked like these just wouldn't have the coverage for my size tank??

Firstly budget wise the APS do the job and look just as good as many more expensive models and even if only needing 2 tubes the 4 tube is my prefered option to give more variation,I have had one for a few years no issues and find APS have good customer service. Upside have t5 have more running costs than LED

Last edited:
I have the A160 Kessils, they are a significant (light intensity/control) upgrade on the A150's - they are fantastic on a 45cm deep/wide tank but if you want the even coverage you really need to go with A360 on a 60cm wide tank.

OTOH you could run the A150's (just understand the difference between the 160 series) & add a single HOT5 (or twin T5 depending on your plant goals) & have very good light distribution
Ideally you'd eventually want 3 x A150's (or A160's) on a 120cm tank, light would still fall off a bit on the front or back (A160 does excellent coverage over 45cm, but you really want A360 for a similar coverage of 60cm)

There is a Kessil A360 in the sale section (pm this person) for a decent price - you could then add a 2nd A360 as funds become available
(this is the route I'd go ;) ... I'd set up hardscape for the entire tank, but only plant half or do an island composition which could be extended as funds become available)

What about these...
https://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/universal-t5-light-bar.html

along with reflectors. These are quite solid aluminium reflectors, non of your cheap plastic jobs.
https://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/reflectors/t5-reflectors.html

With these hanging kits...
https://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/aquarium-light-mounting-kit-hanging-bracket.html

I have a 4 tube version on my Vision 180, fantastic high light, great growth, monster pearling but have to be carefully controlled as algae can start to appear if not careful.

Back