• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tall 250l - Y llechen ogof

idris said:
Thanks for the feedback. I hope the flora and fauna side of the project lives up to the rest.

As mentioned I've been playing with some pipe bending. This is my practice piece so far.
5649022038_60cfe6cc6f.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the intake sieve (the slotted end) although I'll probably take a little more time over it when I make the one that's going in the tank. Initially I tried one with slots that run paralel to the pipe (as per the one that came with my Rena filter) but I just couldn't get that very neat. I considered just drilling holes, but after a little web browsing I saw one with horizontal slots and this has been much easier to make well. It's a little fragile, but once it's in the tank it shouldn't have to take much abuse.

The crooked end is ok, but the problem I've had so far is the pipe flattens a little more than I'd like. I suspect I need to be a little braver with the heat gun and get the plastic a bit softer before I bend it.

What did you use to bend your pipe? I tried to pack it with salt, but am looking into bending springs. I'm assuming that you used your dremmel for the inlet?

I packed the tube with sand rather than salt though just because I had pleanty of play sand and was running low on salt. I considered a spring but discounted it for three reasons
1- I'm looking for quite tight bends and I was concerned about getting it out (which has since had coroborated by a friend)
2- although it probably wont get seen I didn't want to leave spring marks in the pipe
3- again the sand was free and a pipe spring wouldn't have been.

I think the two keys to this method are getting the sand packed in really tight (lots and lots of tapping, not tamping) and getting the plastic as soft as possible. Otherwise the tube starts to fold a little.

I tried using a Dremel for the intake, but in the end found it easier to do a tidy job with a hack saw.
I covered the pipe in masking take, marked out the cuts on it and then used a mitre block to make sure my cuts were square. Each slot took 2 cuts as they're about 2mm wide. And I finished off the edges and ends of the slots with pin files.
It was a slow process, but I enjoy doing things like this so it wasn't a chore.
As I said, it's a little fragile and I may have a spiral of slots when I make the one that's going in the tank. (I'll try to remember to take some photos as I go along.)

When I was bending the tube I just used a short piece of wooden dowel (about 2"). It wasn't a particularly tight fit so I just wrapped some masking tape round till it fitted.

The final capping was made with a piece of clear acrylic rod to match the tube. The tube is 16/12 so the rod is 12mm and I only used about 3/8" : I was going to use some EMA Plastic Weld to glue it in (about £3 from a model shop) but I found the rod is such a snug fit I actually had to use some wet'n'dry on it to get it in. (The two ends of the rod were gently flame polished with a mini gas torch / soldering iron.)

PMSL. So many I've only used once and frequently not the tools I need :rolleyes:
(I had to borrow a hot air gun ;) )

For bringing me news like that George, you've just been struck off my Xmas list. :twisted: ;)
But being serious for a moment, I have no idea. It's not a problem I've seen mention of before. I'll be quite disappointed if it does. Do you know what causes it and whether that usually happens with acrylic or other clear plastics?

The last few days haven't entirely go to plan and, although my plants arrived 5 days ago, I've not got any planting done till yesterday.

I ended up spending more time finishing the slate cave than anticipated, but the cave is kind of the centre piece of the hardscaping so I think it's time well spent. As mentioned the roof and wall all seemed a bit flat and unnatural so it needed some more shape – cue more slate cutting, more glueing and more grinding. Along with fixing one of the towers that came unglued.

It is possible all the work on the wall may actually go to waste and disappear behind moss if it all looks a little too hard. And as the conventional way to anchor moss seems to be tying it on with cotton I've also drilled small holes in the roof just behind the wall so there's any easy way to secure the cotton by threading it through the slate. (A picture speaks a thousand words, though I'm not sure this picture will explain enough.)

5702927812_e12ce08572.jpg

You can just about see the holes here ...

5702926664_a090432d4c.jpg

… and this is a view of the whole cave structure.

It may be over kill but, as the towers that support the cave roof are going to sit directly onto the glass base of the tank, I've got some non-slip mat glued onto the bottom of each of them to stop the glass getting scratched.

The real downer form the last couple of days is that the joiner who was cutting the cabinet doors down (they started as spare kitchen cupboard doors) has proved
a) incompetent
b) lazy
c) just doesn't give a toss about details or
d) just doesn't give a toss about customer satisfaction.
It's taken him nearly 2 months to do them (only a couple of hours work!) and I could have done a better job myself. If you don't look closely they're all right, but I get hung up on detail and I'm disappointed to say the least. Unfortunately there may be no realistic option but to live with them. The one saving grace is that the tank should be the focus, not the doors!
It'll all be fine … it'll all be fine … it'll all be fine …!!!

Getting stuck in

Saturday saw all the hardscaping going into the tank.

First there was then a load of faffing around as I tried to remember how to get the larger of the two pieces of wood into the tank – it's a tight squeeze and it only fits through the top one way. The smaller piece went in very easily.

Next the pillars for the cave.
Oh boll***s :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:
The tower that I had just fixed came unstuck again, but between different layers this time. I could have just tried to sick it back together with silicon again, but a quick dash to a LFS for some Milliput promised a stronger solution. But since Milliput doesn't really work as a thin layer the Dremel came out again and I cut as deep as possible into the two halves of the broken tower so the Milliput could provide some structure as well as adhesion. Unfortunately another two layers came apart in the process, so it was all a much more laboured process than expected – over 2 hrs work! Still, Milliput meant I wasn't going to have to wait 3 days for silicon to cure properly and it should all be stronger.

A bag and a half of akadama went in at this point and was roughly poured around the wood and pillars. Or at least most of it. (The remainder went on top of the cave later as the whole scape came together.) I had a bit of a play with shaping the surface, but it wasn't going to be final as I had to leave some clear space for the 3rd pillar when it was fixed.

So ended Saturday and I have to say it was all starting to feel a little anticlimactic. After 18 months of planning this tank, getting things built, assembling all the parts, and all the research, the project was actually approaching completion. What next? (Thankfully there is another major, and entirely different project waiting in the wings!) Add to that, with most of the hardscape in, the tank was starting to look smaller. Hey ho – more to do yet ...

5702929778_56e77fa9fc.jpg

5702930168_0e6bf56f0a.jpg

A couple of front views.

5702566697_67b2ae96c4.jpg

Lfet hand side.

5702567009_f3ba7a67a8.jpg

Right hand side.

This was the state at the end of the day. The roof to the cave isn't in place as one of the pillars is missing, and the substrate isn't really as I want it yet.

Next morning the final assault started.

The pillar was fixed and rock solid. So in it went. Inevitably there was a little more Dremeling to do to get all three pillars, and the roof to fit perfectly against each other, the wood and the tank, but the work was minor next to the hours it's taken create them.

5702931122_a6cda25e56.jpg

5702361987_9df1361059.jpg

A couple of daylight photos, so lots of reflections off the glass I'm afraid. But it shows the cave in it's final stage … less substrate.

A little water was then added and attention turned to the plants.

Having initially thought the Crypts and Hair Grass looked smaller than expected (though in different ways) I take it all back. I'm pretty impressed with what www.plantsalive.co.uk have supplied. I think I'd expected each pot to be pretty much a single plant, but there were about 3 Swords to each pot, 6 Crypts, and from 7 pots of Hair Grass I got about 70 little clumps. Certainly the Swords and Hair Grass have exceeded my hopes. The crypts were still smaller than I expected, only a coupe of small leaves each and on small thin stems, but again I have to say that I have no previous experience and nothing to compare this with.

(Not the best background to show off the plants :oops: )
5702932166_693ddcfa67.jpg
Amazons

5702933292_2edee17540.jpg
Crypts, with the root trimmings by the side.

5702934806_5832f73618.jpg
Hair Grass, again with the root trimmings by the side.

When it came to planting, I took a lead from the YouTube videos from TGM
The placement has changed form the original plan and this has largely been a result of the quantities of plants and the available planting space I've actually ended up with.

For the Swords I took off the worst damaged leaves, though there were few. I couldn't bring myself to pull too much off. And although the video suggests trimming roots, these were the first plants I tackled and couldn't bring myself to do this. As the plants were taller than expected I've planted these at the sides.

Getting a little braver, I did trim the roots for the Crypts. And as there were more than I expected these have taken up most of the middle foreground. As these felt quite fragile these were quite fiddly to plant.

The Hair Grass also divided up into far more little clumps than I expected and although I had originally planned to have some of the Hair Grass taking up the foreground, It has all ended up on the roof of the cave.

Although the “correct way” to plant plants seems to be using tweezers, I didn't seen the need to spend money on something I would rarely use. The Swords and Crypts I just used my fingers to plant. With the Hair Grass I used a chopstick as a dibber which worked surprisingly well.

And on that note, as this posting seems increasingly rambling, I think it's time to let the pictures do the talking.

5702936024_10937385bf.jpg

Front view. (You can just about see the crypts at the front.)

5702936770_f03b701153.jpg

Swords at the left.

5702367583_bb30a79628.jpg

And Swords at the right.

5702936376_ca7e90cc39.jpg

And the roof of the cave, now covered with adakama and Hair Grass planted.

Thread

I'm pretty pleased with how it's all turned out but I'm wondering about moving the crypts from infront of the cave – as they grow they will probably obscure the front of the cave, and being able to see into it was largely the point of it. I'll possibly move some Hair Grass down to the front.

All comments, and more importantly recommendations and suggestions, would be very, very welcome.

Looks nice.

I can not see from the pic how dense the crypts are in front of the cave, but I would guess that leaving some there and putting some with the hairgrass would look good (would also stop the hairgrass looking too uniform, and could provide a transition between the hairgrass and wood).

Thanks Matt.
I was wondering about that. I don't really have a sense of how big the crypts will get. I like the idea of breaking up the grass "lawn" and softening the the transition at the wood. (The Crypts are about 2"-3" apart.)

I'd be tempted to put some of them close to the wood at the back, but just pull them forward a little bit so they are not crammed in against it. Do you know what crypt species you have? Then I can guess how big they will grow...

OK, assuming you stick with the non c02 route and they are normal wendtii (not mi oya or green gecko), then they will probably get around 6" tall. Very rough guess! So I would put a few about 3 or 4" from the wood. Maybe staggered slightly. Entirely up to you though of course :)

Sanj, thanks for your comments.
What didn't you get? When you say the Akadama looks OK, can you elaborate? What would it have looked like otherwise?
(Sorry if I'm missing something, but this is my first planted tank so I'm new to all this.)

i'll be honest - i thought your cave might look a bit of a mess, but all your attention to detail has REALLY paid off! When you get some moss established to obscure the straight edges it's going to look fantastic! What are your plans for taller plants? It's crying out for some MONSTER swords ...

That cave is going to look wild when the hairgrass fills in!! Pulled it of nicely mate. Attention to details has really made this.

Congrats, ill keep watching for updates :)

Back