• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank size please help

Rabbit229

Right I've got 2 options with my tank set up and would like to Here your opinion please

I already have a 3ft by 3ft by 1ft tall tank but I also have an option on getting one built at 7ft long to fit in my living room.

What would you use and why please

Also if I go for the 7 ft long what hight and width should I go for

Now I know what questions your going to ask! What am I having in the tank ( not sure ) I want to start of with a blanket of hair grass and then add more plants as I go on. Shrimps and large shole of cardinals and large sole of rummy noise. That's all I want in the tank. Just the 2 spices of fish but in large numbers " I think they look cool in numbers.

I'm going to build a high tech tank so I'd like to get the tank right the first time

Please help me choose as I'm starting to buy the equipment next week.

Hey rabbit,
I would think about volume if you are going for something like the 7 footer, getting good flow from your filters will dictate how big they are and how many you would need. Co2 system will need to be quite substantial so your not always changing the bottles. Fun times mate...
Jim

I would go rather shallow and have if it as a riparium

So say L7ftxH1.5ftxW2ft
Have plan hanging baskets round back an side rims with plants above water level

Google ripariums

That's one tick for the 3ft by 3ft then!

Would 2 external filters give the 7ft enough flow?

I would go rather shallow and have if it as a riparium

So say L7ftxH1.5ftxW2ft
Have plan hanging baskets round back an side rims with plants above water level

Google ripariums
Interesting but my problem would be lighting the plants that are coming out of the tank

That depends on the size of your external. I run two on my 55g

Lighting the riparium is easy as the tank would be shallow an above tank light would supply the tank and above surface plants with light

So for the the size of tank you recommend 7ft 1.5 x 2ft wide. What size would be needed

If you went 45-50cm high that will accentuate long look. Front to back depth isn't too necessary with the look you describe. I'd advise some wood or large stones so the rummys 'flow and spill' over them.

Slightly jealous :wacky:

If you went 45-50cm high that will accentuate long look. Front to back depth isn't too necessary with the look you describe. I'd advise some wood or large stones so the rummys 'flow and spill' over them.

Slightly jealous :wacky:
Lol slightly jealous
So looks like the 7 ft x 1.5ft x 2ft wide it is then. what size external would you use for this. Would 2 be used?

If tank is about 21 cu ft -> 600 litres, you will be looking for total filtration of x10 volume -> 6000 litres/hour. This rate is quite a monster ask, but doable.

Maybe 3 off JBLe1900 (@ 1900 l/hr) with three spray bars across the back of the tank would do it.

Maybe, as some people have done with large tanks have done, an overflow, monster sump and monster return pump. Major issues in getting and keeping CO2 levels up.

check out Sanj's tank. its comparable

Just looked at sanjs that's awsome

Do the spray bars fit under the water lvl

Yes the spray bars need to be located under the water to create the circular flow in the tank and create surface ripple, enough to allow oxygen exchange and not so much as to gas off all your CO2.

If I use the Maxspect Gyre pump would I need the 3 external filters

If I use the Maxspect Gyre pump would I need the 3 external filters
Probably not, but without largish filtration you are just circulating the poo (and plant waste) around and around rather then removing it from the system.

People do produce nice tanks with less than x10 filtration and powerheads to get the flow up, but at the end of the day the filtration is necessary to remove waste from your tank.

Would the medium be just sponge - floss in the external, I read not to use carbon! Is this right

Would the medium be just sponge - floss in the external, I read not to use carbon! Is this right
Generally as little as possible you can get away so as to not hinder the flow substantially. I have about 2/3 rd the amount supplied of ceramic noodles and ceramic rings as well as coarse filter foam in my JBL1500. You need to get flow like mine in video below, from my JB1500.

No need for carbon sponge as your waste organics will be being removed with your regular water change of course....

Last edited:
Not sure if the video you posted is working. Won't let me see it.

Would a maxspect work well with a fluval fx6 for the size tank I have in mind, will flow rate and filteration be good?

Sorry for all the questions.

Watch a vid of the maxspect. Never the little one creates a LOT of movement. You might blow small fish all over place in a minimalist scape.

Back