• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TetraTec EX 2400 - review

Themuleous

Right, as the tank is still a few weeks off I thought I’d get the ex2400 filter review done.

First off is the size, its HUGE!!! Build quality looks to be high as you’d expect from Tetra and this range of filters.

I’ll get the known flaws/annoyances that I’ve found so far out of the way first. It doesn’t have a handle like my ex600, which is annoying as you are forced to use the motor head release clips which I can see being a sod when its full of water. The hoses are around 25mm internal diameter (the FX5 uses the 17mm I think) which counts out glassware as far as I know, so if I want to use it I’ll have to down size the hoses with an adaptor, which could have obvious consequence for flow rate (I’ve not tested it yet but will once the tank has arrived ;)). The hoses are also fairly short, around 5ft each, ok not short but it would have been good to have some spare as I can see it struggling to reach the opposite end of the 4ft as I can position it in the middle. And being oversized tubes, getting more might prove tricky, which I guess is another reason to down size them.

Lastly, the manual doesn’t specifically talk about the EX2400. And there are a few difference between it and my ex600. Not a major issue as these things are pretty easy to work out but just a shame they didn’t do a ‘proper’ job.

Right onto the photos as that’ll probably show things better.

Filter out of the box

Frontscale.jpg

Frontscale2.jpg

One with the cat for a better idea of size

Filtermolly.jpg

Topscale.jpg

Unpacked

Openscale.jpg

Trays and media (supplied)

Filters.jpg

Interestingly, the manual says that ceramic rings are to disrupt the flow of the water NOT to act as biological filtration.

Impeller housing

Impellerhousing1.jpg

There is a small bolt that you have to remove to open the housing.

Impellerhousing2.jpg

The impeller looks to be very sturdy

Impeller.jpg

Impellerscale.jpg

Supplied intake and outlet are typical of the EX range, which aren’t great if I’m honest. Shame they are greyish and unlike the eheim’s what use a single curved piece of tubing up and over into the tank, these are very boxy, which for my braceless tank isn't going to look or work great.

Parts

Intake.jpg

Alignment

Intakesetup.jpg

Intakecomplete.jpg

You get long and short suction clips, the short ones I am very pleased with as they look far more robust than most.

Clipshort.jpg

The hose connector is the same as the other filters in the EX range

Attachment.jpg

Fullsetup.jpg

Hope this is of interest to people :) any questions just ask. I’ll try and run a pump test once the tank arrives.

Sam

Nice review you've done there.

It certainly looks like a large filter, not sure about the large priming button though.

Is the intake still adjustable, so you can adjust the depth? The spraybar is different to my EX700 too - i dont have those joining things.

Take a look at this place for pipe, may be of some use: http://www.kiowa.co.uk/Products/PVC_Hose

Cool :D

The intake and spraybar pipes are different to the EX700 and EX1200 too... And yes, they're a pain in the ass to set up right because of the boxy design.

Looking forward to a loaded and unloaded flow test... and let us know how loud she is too :D

For clear hoses B&Q stock reels of loads of different diameters. They are sold by the metre.

Andy

Well, I've just finished filling the tank with water and have the filter running and it very noisy. Hugely disappointed. The rest the of the set up is proper top notch and the noise really spoils things. Thinking I might have to change it for 2x rena or eheims, will have to see.

Gutted

Any one find the ex1200 noisy?

Sam

It's not some trapped air is it Sam? I know you've probably checked for that but it's amazing how stubborn some bits can be with some new filters.

Good call Ed, my 700's were like planes taking off at first :lol: I gave 'em both a good shake and all was fine.. the 1200 I didn't use foam in, so it wasn't as bad.

I would be surprised if it was supposed to be noisy. My EX700 was pretty quiet when I originally had all the media in it.

I have mine in a cupboard under the tank with no padding under it and it only gives out a slight hum. It is in fact quieter than the MP400 pwerhead!!!

Andy

Yeh you're right Andy, I was amazed and somewhat taken aback by the noise when I first turned it on. Not what I was expecting at all. I have spent most of the morning shaking it to get the air out but there is probably still more in there! I have emailed tetra to see what they say about it. I really hope it is a duff motor head or something, the noise level really is unacceptable in my sitting room, even for such a large filter.

Sam

Themuleous, how is the filter? Any updates?
I am thinking of buying one tetra 2400 and one tetra 1200 for my 180G Discus tank.
Have you sorted out the noise problem?

Hi,

as on my other post mentioning buying an eheim filter, my main problem with my Tetra1200 was the humming noise... also it seems to get air trapped in it too easily, and with it being in my cupboard its not easy to shake...also when i shake it it leaks....and then theres the U-bends supplied with it :mad:

Overall, not impressed, which is a shame, as the EX600 i have running on a 60l it phenomenal, quiet, never leaks and never traps air.

im guessing its the size that makes the difference.

Thanks, Howard

Back