• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TetraTec EX 2400 - review

howardish said:
the EX600 i have running on a 60l it phenomenal, quiet, never leaks and never traps air.

Ditto, which is why I got a 2400.

im guessing its the size that makes the difference.

I think that's the key, big filters need big pumps, which are noisy by default. Cant avoid it I don't think.

Sam

I have been looking at getting a 2400 as I have a 1200 and it is very quiet, my air pump makes more noise!! :lol:
I have had my 1200 for nearly 2 years, the only problem I have now is the prime button sticking, but it soon goes.
I agree about the intake/outlet set up, mine is a pain, it doesnt like to stay in place, think I need new suckers. I dont have problems with the filter itself though.

Still might get a 2400, will have to find others who have one and see if theirs is noisy or not.
Thanks for the review, very helpful, especially the pictures, puts into perspective how big the filter is!!

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these when I move house in a years time. I've measured my cupboard and it JUST fits. I want to rip out my Juwel internal, and use this instead, alongside my ex1200 which is in the other cupboard at the moment.

Is that can 330, 440 or 500ml (or a party seven, showing my age there!)? Is the feline a kitten or fully grown cat?

Only joking, great review, let us know what the result is.

Kind regards

Simon

JamieH said:
my ex1200 is virtually silent,,,

makybe you got a duff one?

So is mine but there thinking is the 2400 has a bigger motor and will never be silent in an open room. Although who would do that!!!! I still think he might have a duff one for it to be that loud.

Hi all ive just sent back my EX2400 as this made such a racket when running it shook the house,If your wanting a silent filter this is NOT for you,Ive always used tetratec ive a 1200 ex at the mo,but this has put me off big style buying Tetratec ever again..shame as build quality is as expected from tetratec..

Hi there, I am new here and discovered this site by searching for a review on this filter. I too have just purchased one of these and find it to be very noisy. I have a large koi pond and keep three large goldfish in a 200L tank as well as a large weather loach and a Common Eel. I have used the EX 1200 for some time and found it to be very quiet. Each winter i bring in one of my smaller Koi to the tank to continue growing them on throughout the winter period and just bought a EX 2400 to run along with my EX 1200 to provide top notch filtration. This i must admit it does very well. This results in the 1200 recycling the water in the tank every 10 minutes! As well as the 2400 recycling the water every 5 minutes.... The water in the tank has never been clearer and i must admit from the first off this is very impressive. From a Nitrite/Ammonia breakdown perspective i can not really comment on the reults just yet because the filter is only new and needs time to build up....

Now for the bad press... The 1200 is totally silent. The 2400 however, is not! I have found this to be similar to having an air pump with now shock absorber housed underneath it! I spent the whole weekend shaking it for air and taking out the shaft and lubricating it etc. I like the above poster believed it to be just something i was doing wrong but now i am not so sure... It seems to be a very noisy filter. I may have to try going down the route of insulating the whole inside of my cabinet with foam to try drown out some of the noise... I am disgusted to find that others on here have found the same problem. Like the above poster this level of noise in your sitting room is unaccepable but it could simply be down to the size of the motor... Not good, not good at all... :twisted:

I upgraded to one of these today, as my tetratec 1200 that I've had for a long time, broke this morning.

I too, am finding it extremely noisy. Also, there is no carry handle like on the tetratec ex1200.

I suppose it's so heavy filled, that a carry handle wouldn't be strong enough.

This filter is absolutely huge, and heavy even WITHOUT water in it! I have put mine on a tray inside my cabinet - so that when I need to get it out, I can use the tray to slide it out, as there's no way I'd be able to lift it out, as I did with the 1200.

I'm hoping the noise will get a bit better because I am still seeing air bubbles every now and again coming out of it. I'm seriously thinking about carpeting the inside of my cabinet though.

Other than being heavy, and noisy - it's a great filter! I have never seen so much flow! The pipes are HUGE!

At first, I thought the pipes would be too short (they look short) but actually, they are a good length for my tank.

It fits nicely inside my cabinet - I have a Juwel rio 400 incase anyone's interested.

If it hadn't been for the noise, it would have been the perfect filter for my 4ft and would have meant I didn't need the power (I have5 inlets/outlets in the tank now!)

It fitted really well in my cabinet but you're right about the weight, so heavy! Think thats why they didn't have a handle!!!

Sam

EDIT - the bloke I sold mine to ended up wrapping his in several thick woolly jumpers, with the pipes coming out the neck hole, he said it worked a treat. I have also wrapped my eheim 2080 in an old duvet in the cabinet which reduces the noise of that filter to an exceptable hum. But its no where near as noisy as the ex2400!

I just noticed that the box says this filter is 'powerful and quiet'!!!

Is this false marketing? Because there's no way they could claim 'quiet' as one of it's features, yet it's printed in big letters on the box it came in!

ex1200's are really good I'd buy one over a similar eheim every time. The difference in ease of use and quality for price means eheim just can't match it. You'd struggle to get a second hand ehiem for the same money as a new ex1200!

Garuf said:
ex1200's are really good I'd buy one over a similar eheim every time. The difference in ease of use and quality for price means eheim just can't match it. You'd struggle to get a second hand ehiem for the same money as a new ex1200!
I'll second this... although I have to say the boxy input and output design is horrible. I swapped mine for some eheim curved hooks/crooks.

I own two ex1200's and two ex700's and I'm happy with them overall.

Back