• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Great Mechanical Filtration Experiment

Why would the biofiltration not just deal with it? More surface area, more mature (i.e. less cleaned) and biofiltration (once mature) addresses all the same problems that mechanical solves.

Let's look at it differently, using my filter as a reference. I currently clean my pre-filter once a week, and it's reasonably 'dirty' in the sense that wringing it out produces a lot of dark water and a few pieces of waste. My 6-month check of my uncleaned bio-filtration (HEL-X13 and 20/30PPI foam in the main unit looked like the media was brand new. Why do we think that removing/reducing the pre-filter means that biomedia is not going to handle the load and furthermore result in clogging?
Efficiency biological filtration requires adequate flow of well oxygenated water (containing the majority of waste products) to the bacteria, if the flow of water is less than optimal the efficiency of the filter will be effected
The vast majority of solid waste from the aquarium inhabitants will usually come to rest on the substrate so will not enter the filter

Efficiency biological filtration requires adequate flow of well oxygenated water (containing the majority of waste products) to the bacteria, if the flow of water is less than optimal the efficiency of the filter will be effected
The vast majority of solid waste from the aquarium inhabitants will usually come to rest on the substrate so will not enter the filter
So I think your point is that if your pre-filter is slowing down your flow, then (assuming plenty of biofiltration) it would make sense to remove it or at least lower the PPI.

Hi all,
So I think your point is that if your pre-filter is slowing down your flow, then (assuming plenty of biofiltration) it would make sense to remove it or at least lower the PPI.
You need <"the mechanical filtration">, in the pre-filter, to chop out any "waste" food, plant leaves, faeces etc. that will support the growth of heterotrophic bacteria, whose oxygen demand may then compromise nitrification.

The filter has a finite amount of oxygen that enters it, and that oxygen can only be replenished by new oxygenated tank water flowing in.

Even "inert" waste, like the <"sawdust"> produced by Panaque & Panaqolus spp.,. can be disastrous if it physically clogs the filter.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I wouldn’t remove it, for 2 reasons
The pre filter will prevent debris from blocking the (in my case) 30ppi foam
And also the prefilter itself (on my filters) is a biological filter, whenever I clean/replace mine, it contains mulm (a byproduct of the process)
It’s a win/win
For intank pre filters (which I have not used myself), I would except the same
And yes, the Eheim size (around 10ppi) works well for me

Hi all,

You need the mechanical filtration, in the pre-filter, to chop out any "waste" food, plant leaves, faeces etc. that will support the growth of heterotrophic bacteria, whose oxygen demand may compromise nitrification.

Even "inert" waste, like the "sawdust " produced by Panaque & Panaqolus spp.,. can be disastrous if it physically clogs the filter.

Cheers Darrel
I have plenty of “experience” removing sawdust 😂😂😂

As a new purchaser of an Oase Biomaster what PPI sponges do long time users think is best to use on the prefilter?

This maybe worth a look - Filter media is compared.

I have found, the "clearer" you want your water the finer the filter media you have to use & the finer it is the more you have to clean or replace it.
If the sponges have access to air, like with some pond filters this helps a lot.

I have found, the "clearer" you want your water the finer the filter media you have to use & the finer it is the more you have to clean or replace it.
If the sponges have access to air, like with some pond filters this helps a lot.
It also depends on the bio-load you are placing the aquarium under. If you use 30PPI foam media, and your filtration can take it, then minimal cleaning is required. i.e. I have not cleaned my foam bio media (30PPI foam) for eight months so far. And that is because the filter is only at 50% of its load capacity. It would be a different matter if it was 120% - it would get clogged faster and require more cleaning.

"Approx" 34" of fish in a 240L tank, Depending on which calculation you use its at 70 ~ 75 % stocked.
O dear! I think I am more at the 'barbaric' end of the stocking levels. 27 fish inches in a 100L aquarium.

And yes, the Eheim size (around 10ppi) works well for me
Thanks Fredi. Just to clarify, are you using 10PPI as your pre-filter media?

27 fish inches in a 100L
were-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-1024x441.jpg

Lol, or add more plants.

As a new purchaser of an Oase Biomaster what PPI sponges do long time users think is best to use on the prefilter?
I’m using the standard 45 ppi it came with. They get a bit clogged though so I either need to get the *new input pipe or maybe switch to 30 ppi?
* Are these available in the UK yet?

I’m using the standard 45 ppi it came with. They get a bit clogged though so I either need to get the *new input pipe or maybe switch to 30 ppi?
👍
Ref the new input pipe. I wanted a 350 with the new input pipe, couldn’t locate one anywhere, so l bought a 600 with the new pipe. As regards if they’re available as an upgrade l wouldn’t know…..

👍
Ref the new input pipe. I wanted a 350 with the new input pipe, couldn’t locate one anywhere, so l bought a 600 with the new pipe. As regards if they’re available as an upgrade l wouldn’t know…..
Ahh, now this is also something I have been tracking. Oase has confirmed that the new pipes are being created and replacing the old ones under the same product code (45163 in the case of the 250 pipe). However, dealers will only get the new design on fresh orders, so if they have a stock pile of the old pipe, that will get sent out first.

This company actually had some 350's in, but it sold out within the week! I called them, and they said they are going to re-order, including the 250 size.

Thanks Fredi. Just to clarify, are you using 10PPI as your pre-filter media?
I use the filters that Eheim supplied (1200xl same ppi in 450), not measured it, but my best guess is 10ppi
I have course foam (best guess 10-15ppi) in bottom of Eheim classic filters, It was cut from a large sheet of foam (donkey’s years old, from when I used foam in my pond filter)
The tropheus filters get changed frequently, as flow drops off due to fish load
The new tank with 2x1200xl’s hasn’t required cleaning yet (4 months with fish), i did have a look at one a couple of weeks ago, but it was fine
I am running a weir feeding 2 filters. I bet there’s a bit of muck in the bottom of the weir cavity, perhaps I should siphon it next water change 🤔🤔👍

Hi all,
That is a really useful observation and an <"oxygen effect">, the difference between air and water caused by the disparity between the 21% O2 in <"the atmosphere"> and the ~10 mg / L (ppm) <"dissolved in water at 20 oC">.

Which is why you need an easy clean pre-filter, that you maintain regularly. Oxygen is the <"metric that matters">. @_Maq_ doesn't have any fish, but he also doesn't have a filter, and I don't think @Happi has a filter either?

It also explains why <"wet and dry trickle filters"> (these have a huge gas exchange surface area) and plants (below) work so well, and also the <"potential issues with canister filters">, if they are at all clogged.
Planted Tank
The schematic below for photosynthesis is the most important equation for (multicellular) life on earth and gave us the oxygen we breathe
i_jrvk4qwbo2liatpac4_2mdr68-mpa_ycpylkp_isn7vc-png.png

A planted aquarium increase <"the potential for nitrification"> in three ways:
Compared to using plants, attempting anaerobic denitrification in a canister filter is such a bad idea, I can't actually imagine why any-one would advocate it as a viable option.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back