• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The journey - 7 Months in

Bacms

Hi guys,

New member here just thought I would start a thread to keep track of my progress. This will be my first ever planted tank so I am a bit worried. I am setting up a Juwel Vision 180 which I inherited from another member leaving the hobby complete set-up and with Cichlids on it. So I am attempting to sell them and set up a planted aquarium. I have a introduction thread which you can read the set up I am aiming for.
Here is an early set up "sketch" of what I am aiming for:
0ssNBDd.jpg

I am a bigger fan of the dutch aquascape style so will probably try and keep hardscape to a minimum. Also since I am new I am trying to avoid problems with CO2 flow

Last edited:
Got some time on the weekend for some reading and more planning.
First things first got some time to play with the hardscape and think I have setteled in something like this:
qAVxlxa.jpg

Once that was in place was time to sketch some lines around it and remove them so I could create the floor plan.
xUN7n8v.jpg

This is where I currently stand. I need to decide on the quantities so if anyone has any rule of thumb on the amount of pots I would order please let me know. Any help at this point is really appreciated.
Also what moss do you suggest to add to the wood trunk on the left and to the straight right surface of the big rock on the left. This is a part of the rock I really dislike so want to cover it somehow. Was thinking Riccia but I am worried about having to keep attaching it. The other ones I like are the Phoenix and the Christmas one.

Was also consider going Monte carlo rather than HC for carpeting if it really is easier to grow than HC.

Finally I am getting my external filter today so any suggestion how to set it up. It seems most folks set the output on the side wall rather than the back wall, but with the narrow sides on the Vision 180 is this really recommended? Wouldn't it be better to create a longer pipe that would run across the entire back wall? I guess than I would have the problem of CO2 placement since I could not place it on the opposite wall from the water flow column

Last edited:
Might just be me but I can't see your pictures :(
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahs they are dropbox links and somehow work for me. I have replaced them with imgur links so hopefully now it works?

When you say ... ". Also since I am new I am trying to avoid problems with CO2 flow"..... does that mean you wont be using C02?
I will be using CO2, was referring to problems with creating areas of low flow which, as far as I understand it, would create problems with plants having access to nutrients and CO2

This is starting well :) glad it is working now. Let me know your opinions about hardscape and plant choice

This is starting well :) glad it is working now. Let me know your opinions about hardscape and plant choice
Hi,
I'm quite new this hobby so I can't comment much. But concerning the hardscape, I think that the two rocks on the right are not positioned properly together. What I mean is that the movement of the one at the back is rather vertical but the front one is rather horizontal... Just my thoughts

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the tank flooded

Cheers,
Manu

Wouldn't it be better to create a longer pipe that would run across the entire back wall
Aye this will give a good circulation, especially if the jets from in can hit the frontpane of the tank with some force (to be tried by lowering the level so the pipe is out of the water). THis works best if you have a reactor/inline diffusor, or if you have the CO2 being sucked into the cannisterfilter by placing the diffusor under the intake.

areas of low flow which, as far as I understand it, would create problems with plants having access to nutrients and CO2
This problem is enlarged by high lighting, make sure you start with low light until you have everything under control, than you can gradually increase light.

This problem is enlarged by high lighting, make sure you start with low light until you have everything under control, than you can gradually increase light.
I am often confused by this what constitute low light, 4/6h, for how long? Should I use lights on the day I plant or wait 24 hours for everything to settle before putting the system working?

PARvsDistVariousBulbs2.jpg

This is a widely used way to think about it, made by a guy in "the planted tank"forum; stay in the low light zone till you have a good grasp of CO2 and how it works in your tank. After that gradually go to medium values. Start with approx. 6 hours per day

Very interesting plot I never thought about it that way. There are two components in the light equation one is intensity/PAR and the other the duration of the photo period. Based on the stuff I was reading I was thinking in playing mainly with the photo period but you are suggestion to play with the intensity as well?

However if I am trying to figure out the CO2 system wouldn't it be better to start with the higher intensity light so that your determine how much your plants are uptaking and making sure you meet the demand? I would assume starting with low light means I will have to increase the CO2 between inserted when changing to Medium light and so on. And should I move to the next stage in the Lighting plot as soon as I have the CO2 figured out and stable?

I might considering running only the Grobeam 600 to start with and then add the T8 to the equation. Will need to find out exactly how many PAR this things produce

If you start with light too high and on too long, without sufficient CO2 and ferts you will kill/starve the plants. The dying plants will leach organics into the water feeding algae.

This is why so many "beginners" end up with algae farms. They add masses of light on for 12 hours or more thinking that will really make the plants grow wonderfully, where as in reality they are vaporising their plants and converting them into prime algae food.

Starting with T8 (no reflectors) for say 4 hours can be a really good start for first couple on months until you master CO2 and plants settle down.

Back