• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips on the perfect Staurogyne repens carpet

Getting thicker by the day!

2012-01-02%20at%2017-29-53.jpg

Tiny bit of BBA but that's getting nuked with EasyCarbo at 3* recommended dose and a properly lime green / yellow drop checker

It's coming on Mike. Have you seen any lower side soots go horizontal across the substrate yet?

I started with two Aquafleur pots back in late November'sih. Just been trimming the longer shoots and replanting but will be trimming and filling in this lot next week when I got time for extended maintenance I think.

Just took these, left side.

11cctno.jpg

And right side.

19t6vp.jpg

mikeappleby said:
Getting thicker by the day!

2012-01-02%20at%2017-29-53.jpg

Tiny bit of BBA but that's getting nuked with EasyCarbo at 3* recommended dose and a properly lime green / yellow drop checker

Do you just add the easy carbo to the water column for this purpose or spot dose it using a syringe ?

Stauro is starting to look good now :) You even got me thinking about it !!!

Hi Mike.

I planted some Staurogyne several weeks ago. Growth seems to of stalled unfortunatly although all still looks fairly healthy. When you say that cutting hard made all the difference, how hard did you cut? Right back to the substrate, or just topping it?

New growth takes about 2-3 weeks typically, then it takes off, then about 3-6 weeks later, it starts to get dense etc.

spyder said:
Looking a lot fresher Mike. :thumbup:

I've been letting mine get to 2-3 inches then haking back to 1 pair of leaves above the substrate. Strip 2-3 pairs of leaves off the cuttings and replant them upto the lowest pair. You will have side shoots on some of them, try not to damage them too much on replanting and they will surface at the side of your cuttings after a couple of weeks.

At the moment I'm finding it's about 3-4 weeks between trimmings. ;)

when you get shoots surfacing at the sides of the first stem, are you meant to push them under the substrate, or do you mean they have already grown horizontally UNDER the substrate and then surfaced ?

Westyggx said:
Looking good mate I planted two pots worth this week so looking forward to seeing it spread.

any pics of how this is doing mike ?

Cool thanks. I have about 20 stems and am going to strip them down to the top two leaf levels and replant as the lower sections are looking a bit manky :) Now I have CO2 hopefully it will do well. You plant each stem separately it seems ?

Antipofish said:
Cool thanks. I have about 20 stems and am going to strip them down to the top two leaf levels and replant as the lower sections are looking a bit manky :) Now I have CO2 hopefully it will do well. You plant each stem separately it seems ?

Yeh i plant them individually you see them filling out sideways sooner or later.

Westyggx said:
Antipofish said:

Yeh i plant them individually you see them filling out sideways sooner or later.

Great, cheers Mike. I have just been having a trim up and move a few things around, making space etc, so will do the stauro tomorrow. Appreciate the advice. Your comments and also Mike Appleby's thread have been a big help. I would love to get growth like Tom's in the pic Mike A used. Whoohoo thats some great plant when it gets going.

Here's the latest mowing I did:

Before:
f8692f2b.jpg

After:

46f1e30d.jpg

It'll take 1 week for new tips to grow, then it'll start to fill in 2 weeks and by the 3-4 weeks, it'll make a nice carpet.

plantbrain said:
Here's the latest mowing I did:

Before:
f8692f2b.jpg

After:

46f1e30d.jpg

It'll take 1 week for new tips to grow, then it'll start to fill in 2 weeks and by the 3-4 weeks, it'll make a nice carpet.

Thanks Tom, when you say "mow" how do you actually do the pruning ? Do you used curved scissors and just cut it all down ?

Back