• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips on the perfect Staurogyne repens carpet

OK I hope I have done this right. (I'm posting on here in case this is useful for this thread but will be double posting on my journal too).

This is what the stauro plants looked like when I got them... (bottom right)
staurobefore.jpg

And this is after I hacked them to bits and replanted... :woot:
stauroafter.jpg

Is this right ? I bloody hope so, lol.

Check back on the first page. Can't remember who posted it but strip all leaves just leaving 2-3 pairs of leaves and plant right upto the lower leaves. Once they have put on an inch or so, trim back to 1 pair of leaves and replant as before filling the gaps. Lower sections can be planted in the same way leaving 1 pair of leaves and wait for the side shoots.

Yours is looking good, you soon see how fast it goes once it takes hold.

spyder said:
Check back on the first page. Can't remember who posted it but strip all leaves just leaving 2-3 pairs of leaves and plant right upto the lower leaves. Once they have put on an inch or so, trim back to 1 pair of leaves and replant as before filling the gaps. Lower sections can be planted in the same way leaving 1 pair of leaves and wait for the side shoots.

Well i didnt leave 2 to 3 pairs of leaves only the one in most cases. Hope I havent killed it lol.

EDIT: Lol just read your post on the first page, which says strip to 1 to 2 pairs of leaves ;) You trying to scare me now saying it should be three ! LOL. I am sure it will grow. Hope so. In process of getting CO2 up to right level.

spyder said:
1, 2 or 3 lol.

It won't make much difference. I think planting it so the bottom leaves are on the substrate is important to help it spread. It's a tough plant just look how hard Tom mows it back.

Yeah when he says "mows" what does tht actually mean ? Just cutting with scissors or what ?

I use wave scissors and chop back to a single pair of leaves. Looks like Tom shaved it right back to the wood which seems fine on established plants. 1st trims I would go a bit easier on it. When its so dense you can't see where your trimming then its time to hack it off.

spyder said:
I use wave scissors and chop back to a single pair of leaves. Looks like Tom shaved it right back to the wood which seems fine on established plants. 1st trims I would go a bit easier on it. When its so dense you can't see where your trimming then its time to hack it off.

OK I have been looking for some wave scissors but they are rather pricey. Know any bargains ?

I am afraid you have to suck the cost for wave scissor. I have Ebi Gold branded and hand made in japan they are great. Cost around 50 they are really deluxe :)

tgm do a wave scissor which is sub £30. ive got some an theyre good quality.

Ady34 said:
tgm do a wave scissor which is sub £30. ive got some an theyre good quality.

Those are the ones I have. I think they were £28 when I went over last year in May. Best £28 I have spent when it comes to plant tools. :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
spyder said:

Well i didnt leave 2 to 3 pairs of leaves only the one in most cases. Hope I havent killed it lol.

EDIT: Lol just read your post on the first page, which says strip to 1 to 2 pairs of leaves ;) You trying to scare me now saying it should be three ! LOL. I am sure it will grow. Hope so. In process of getting CO2 up to right level.

Ok the post I was referring to was by Aquadream. To save you clicking I'll quote it for you. ;)

Aquadream said:
Before I plant Staurogyne I strip the stems from the leaves by 2/3 leaving 2 - 4 pairs of leaves at the most. The longer the bare stems the better. I also remove all roots before planting.

Just snapped some pics from my tank to give you an idea how rampant it is, excuse poor photography. :oops:

LHS. Trimmed well about 3-4 weeks ago.

55otg8.jpg

Centre. This has been seeded over the last 3-4 weeks from trimmings. Yet to be trimmed.

3507wrc.jpg

RHS. Trimmed about 10-14 days ago.

2z6hzxe.jpg

I tested one side 1st to see how it responded before hacking the other side off. I'll grow it out now for 3-4 weeks then mow the lot off. Should have a few portions up for grabs, I've not got many spaces to pop more trimmings in. :thumbup:

Oh and Antipofish! I can see your pics now, it looks perfect.

Thanks Spyder. Well if I can achieve what you have done there I will be chuffed as a chimpanzee :)

Spyder, looking closely, do some of your leaves have little holes in ? A few of mine did, and I wondered if it was the same on yours and what causes it ?

Antipofish said:
Spyder, looking closely, do some of your leaves have little holes in ? A few of mine did, and I wondered if it was the same on yours and what causes it ?

If your getting holes in your plants i would suggest adding more KNO3 to your regime.

Westyggx said:
Antipofish said:

If your getting holes in your plants i would suggest adding more KNO3 to your regime.
:oops: what does that one stand for, i dont know them off the top of my head. I am using TPN+ currently

Hi spyder,
ceg always says holes = poor c02 through either quantity, flow or distribution.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi spyder,
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady, that would tie in with my holes :woot: LOL. I was only using easycarbo to start with but now I have FE CO2 so should start to see some changes. I think my flow is OK and hopefully distribution so lets see how things progress.

Ady34 said:
Hi spyder,
Cheerio,
Ady.

I was thinking the same thing but flow and distribution appears to be very good. I'd say it could be snails munching and angels nipping by looking at it. Dc has gone a little darker in the green department, so a little twiddle has been applied. ;)

Back