• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

Well if it is, at least you have identified the root cause of the problem. :)

You may have other factors at play as well, but I would suggest cycling the tank properly before trying to identify any other issues.

You seem to have fish in there though - how long do they seem to survive? Have you introduced shrimp before and if so, how long did they last?

Shrimp tend to be pretty sensitive to water quality (i.e. nitrites and ammonia), so that would indicate that your tank has indeed not cycled properly. Fish can often survive poor quality water, but they will be suffering and will have reduced lifespans and be more prone to disease.

I would start dechlorinating your water religiously. Also, if you can get hold of some filter media from an established tank, add that to your own filter media. Still might take some time though.

I am not an expert on all this George, others may have an opinion, but as I said you should probably re-read the basics to make sure you aren't missing any other key elements to keeping an aquarium.

To be fair George, leaving out for 5 hours is not enough anyway, at least 24 is recommended if you are going down that route. Also, water conditioner removes heavy metals, not just chloramine. I'm not having a go, there is a lot to take in when trying to get your tank right! I tend to go back and re-read stuff anyway just to make sure I am not making any howlers.

_DSC3405_zps2pzsegio.jpg

left gauge is your set pressure, increase it with the blue knob (won't be able to decrease it without letting the gas out)

Back