• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

_DSC3341_zps3469e22c.jpg

Tbh George, I'd give up on hi tech tanks until you get the hang of lo tech. Grasp the basics first.

There's plenty of lo tech tanks on here to inspire. :)

as u can see my plants are struggling, even with the improved flow, i dont know whats up
I'll agree on this point - re I can't imagine why plant growth seems to struggle so much :sick:

In comparison I have crap flow, low CO2 (Dicrossus began to show stress while other fish & shrimp were fine), erratic lighting & fertilizer (Tropica), Eco-Complete substrate (so not enriched) & plants at least look healthy, though growth is relatively slow - all plants are rated "easy" or "medium" by Tropica. I do 60% water changes once or twice weekly.

Kudos to you George for struggling on!
Is there a local aquarium club in your area, or a shop that has planted display tanks??? try to find local planted tanks that are doing well & talk to people.

I'd be inclined to plant heavily with "easy" stem plants (they are generally relatively cheap & more difficult to kill), 50% water change every 3-4 days, conservative water column fertilizers (need to replenish after each water change), 5-6 hours light, spray bar ... once everything is going well, try out some more challenging plants.

Try simple lo tech to start. Grab yourself a few Anubias varieties, some Java ferns, maybe some moss, some stone and/or wood and make yourself a really good looking lo tech scape. They feature in many, if no all of Amano's tanks ;)

im really not a fan of any of those plants stated, as i said b4 what im doing now isnt working so if the plants i already have improve, ill know that dirting the tank worked, if not im royally screwed

'Dirting' the tank?

Back