• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

I wouldn't go as extreme as starting again! You could pull all those plants out, clear the algae from them and the substrate and then replant within an hour. It looks like its all cyano, which will come off plants if you just gently swill them in a bucket, or even use your fingers (carefully!). The substrate should be pretty easy too.

I'd wait until after the water clears up though.

and your powerhead is STILL not pointing the right way. I think you're misunderstanding "pointing the same way." People don't mean point it so that the water jets collide. They mean the water should all be moving in one direction. So put your powerhead on the same piece of glass as your outlet, and point it to the front of the tank, like the outlet.

From what people are saying you need to do the following:
CUIUkkw.jpg

Move that outlet so it's on the SAME piece of glass as the power head.

Or as the post by Rahms move it the opposite way so the powerhead moves next to the outlet, I'd think my picture would work better as that seems to be how most people go? Must be a reason why

You have a uv filter/light of some kind? That will do away with your green algae. Or maybe you could rent one from someone since it doesn't take very long to clear up once you have one running...and aren't generally needed with a planted tank.

yes, the filter outlet and powerhead is facing the same way, thanks

they aren't. They're pointing to the same place. We're saying point them in the same direction. eg. imagine a person in edinburgh and london. If they both point at manchester, they're pointing to the same place (like you have), but if they're both pointing south, they're pointing in the same direction.

edit: basically what jamie said! same piece of glass

George, where are you based? Maybe there is an experienced forum member nearby who could come and take a look at your tank and give you some pointers? Sometimes its difficult to explain some technical aspects without being there in person...?

Man that is one hell of an algae bloom. Impressive.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is your tank in direct sunlight? Or under a 10,000 watt football pitch floodlight? Anything like that that we might have missed up to now?

no, im sure it was brought on because I wasn't dechlorinating for such a long time, so it was such a shock to the system when I started, that's what I want to believe any way

Back