• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Do!aqua20

Looking good, but don't you think it would be a better idea with the stems and crypt more centrally placed? In my opinion, it really doesn't have a focal point as it is now.
Any plans on livestock? I think it would look nice with some high-grade CRS.:)

Thanks Johan, yes I do think it would look better with the Crypt more centralized. Things in the back half of the tank will be constantly changing as the plants grow in. The stems will be re-planted as they're trimmed, and won't be restricted to the far corner for long. I might even plant some stems on the right, and let the Crypt grow through them. Experimental tank! :)

No plans for stocking yet, but maybe an Amano shrimp or two when I stock the Mini M.

Tom

Today - Stems are straightening out and growing nicely, and the Glosso has lots of new runners and leaves
IMG_9503.jpg

Just an updated photo. Things are growing, albeit slowly. The Glosso does seem to be struggling, and I am now quickly losing the old growth. New growth is coming through though, just upwards. The new stems are being re-planted in the substrate as the old plant dies off. Just need to make it go sideways now which is proving difficult.
The moss is doing great now. It's growing really quite quickly (for moss!)
Stems are doing well to, just at a slower rate than I might expect. There's H. micranthemoides in there now round the base of the stem group.

IMG_00281.jpg

I've now doubled the light to 20w in the hope of keeping the Glosso down. It's still growing straight up at the moment. The new growth seems to be doing OK, but hopefully it will put out some runners now.

IMG_9689.jpg

I'm pleased how the Rotala is doing, although any progress is slow

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9686.jpg

Tom

After a bright start, things have slowed down a lot. The Glosso gradually died off, although I still have some bits left. The Moss is doing fairly well, but the stems are really really slow. After trimming 2 weeks ago, the new growth is only just starting to appear, and the older growth has gone a darker brown/green colour.

The light is back down to 9w again since the Glosso failure, and I've added a tiny bit of Hydrocotyle from the emersed tank.

IMG_99531.jpg

Tom

Thanks :) It's taking it's time, but health and stability-wise it's much better than the Mini M at the moment which is going through a blackout. It's still an experimental tank and things are constantly moving around, so I'll be interested to see how this new Hydrocotyle grows in here. Shame it's not the ADA type though!

Yeah I've seen them. I was thinking about something similar, but they are substrate-less and probably wouldn't last very long. I do like the look of them though. They're not filtered either are they? Presumably just water changed daily and dosed. Might be a nice idea to try one as they would only be short term.

I don't know how Amano manages to keep the 3 liter one. He had 20w of light, no flow and presumably no way of dissolving CO2. Also I would imagine a fair amount of mulm would collect at the bottom under the Riccia mats.

Full tank shot (lights have been off for a while, so the leaves are in sleepy position) A lot of the moss has been trimmed and re-tied. The greener bits have come straight from the emersed setup on my windowsill.

You can probably see the older stems don't look very nice, but the tips are OK. I'm dosing plenty of ferts and Excel though, and the flow is very high!

IMG_9991.jpg

Some actual good news with a tank of mine :D It's growing well, and the moss has been much cleaner these last few days. The only things I've changed are lowering the water changes from between 50-90% daily to the same amount twice a week, and cut the Excel down to 0.5ml. I had thought the algae might be CO2 related so the Excel dose went up and up and up, but I think too high dosing might actually have been the problem! Anyway, 0.5ml is doing fine now :D

Stems are right up by the surface now which is an achievement for this tank, and the moss is filled out nicely. Hydrocotyle is taking it's time, but there are new leaves. The Crypts are much much better looking, and although slow growing, are putting out some new leaves. They are staying small and low though which is no bad thing.

Tom

I've noticed a few threads recently where people have REDUCED their water changes and had success - i've also noticed how much happier one of my tnaks is when i leave it to get on with things. I guess it just undrlines the point that plants needs stability as much as anything else!
Glad your problems are resolving - i really like the tank and hope it flourishes!
Where did you source the Spezial N - seems like the fert ofthe moment!
Matt

Inspirational little tank indeed especially with the use of liquid carbon and inert sand. Looks like a great side project to have some fun with cuttings and bits.

Strangely I too found that moss doesn't like mega water changes or lots of liquid carbon or lots of nutrients - it just turns brown when it gets annoyed. You'll find it interesting that I recently have reduced my water changes down from 1/2 per week to 1/3 per week with better success in my nano.

That filter power head looks like a strike of genius too, I'll steal that idea if you don't mind! Makes me want to set up my Do!Aqua oval.

NeilW said:
That filter power head looks like a strike of genius too, I'll steal that idea if you don't mind!

It's ideal for small tanks as it's so small, and you don't need a grill on the inlet as when the flow is turned down, the inlet is almost completely covered. Only the smallest of shrimp might have a problem with it. :) I actually removed it the day of that last photo (but forgot to mention!), so whether that might have contributed to the increase of health over the last couple of weeks I don't know!

Back