• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

Re: Tom's Mini M - Full Shot

Maybe you can lay the stump flat or pointing towards the front then moss it up.

Welcome back!

You could very easily crush that stump with some pliers or similar if you want to "soften" it without adding moss. F.fissidens would be ideal as it's a tiny moss.

Good luck with the dry roll out, I found daylight worked best, my clip on lamp didn't seem to cut it.

flygja - Yeah I'd have to chop it off to move it, but I think if I did chop it, I've got some more similar branchy wood I'd use instead. Thanks, it's good to be getting excited over scaping again :D

Gareth - It's quite a solid stump really, I wouldn't like to try! Knowing me I'd end up making it worse. I might leave it for the time being and try to plant so it takes the emphasis off it a bit. I'm thinking about planting some Glosso either on it or right behind it and try to train it over and around that part of the branch, as well as a bit of moss. Not something I've done before with Glosso though.

At the moment the lighting is about 16" over the lowest substrate, with a piece of frosted perspex as a lid to keep humidity up (usually used for diffused white background)

How about attaching another small piece of wood to it using cable ties? You could then moss it up and hide the joint.

Instead of the stump or as well as? I was thinking about adding a little more wood yesterday when I was rooting round in my aquatic "mini-shed."The more upright branch is only attached by a screw, so adding more is a possibility. I'm worrying about the piece on the right too, that it might not stand out enough against the main piece. When I look at the tank, I see a path winding towards the back right, around that smaller piece of wood, but I can't see it clearly in the photo. Maybe if I shoot at a wider angle it might show more.

I just received the HC from theplanttank.co.uk. Are they related to Maidenheads? They were sent in a Maidenheads fish bag anyway. Plants are Aquafleur, and good quality. Admittedly not Tropica, but neither are they £6 per pot. For less than half the price of Tropica, I'm pleased with them and will use theplanttank.co.uk again no doubt.

As I also bought the Tropica pots from P@H, just got to decide what to do with them.The options are pass them on, re-plant the HC in the 10 liter "disaster tank" now I'm using non-sodium-softened water and see how it goes, or start an emersed project... Decisions decisions...

Pictures aren't great, sorry!

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

I'm expecting the rest of the plants (loads) to come on Thursday as they should have been ordered on Thurs just gone. Aparrently it takes a week to import, get DEFRA checked and be re-shipped.

Tom

Re: Tom's Mini M - Rest of HC is here

Tom said:
Plants are Aquafleur, and good quality. Admittedly not Tropica, but neither are they £6 per pot.

It's a myth mate. so the quality isn't as good as tropica?...who's to say there not kept as well, at there holding place/supplier.

I've seen some dire quality tropica plants at P@H, does that mean tropica aren't very good? :thumbup:

see what i mean? :D

I've had aquafleur come straight from the farm, and i can assure you there equal and sometimes better than tropica :shh:

Look forward to what your doing mate. :D

When I say "quality", I mean portion size isn't quite as big as I've had from Tropica, and they're just not quite as green if you know what I mean. Nope, dire plants at P@H doesn't mean Tropica are no good you're right!! Let's just say these particular Tropicas I got from P@H were a bit larger and a bit greener than these particular Aquafleurs, and put it down to handling ;)
And for the huge price difference I will stick with the quality of these particular Aquafleurs any day, as there's not a lot in it in terms of what you get when it arrives.

Cheers for the grilling Mark :p

Thanks Gill!

Tom said:
Cheers for the grilling Mark

your welcome mate. I wasn't meant as a grilling though. :angelic:

It just gets my goat, when many folk compare without truly knowing the original quality, when there dispatched from the farm.

In terms of price, they cant be beat.

Apparently the rest of the plants are now in customs. Can't fault plantedtanks.co.uk's communication and information so far. Should be here on Thursday.

The HC is still alive which is nice, and looks like it's starting to put down some roots. Still lovely and green :)

Good to know the HC is going well pal, I've been blasting mine with co2 haha, not that I need to tell you but keep vigilant on any leggy rebels!! Haha

Well hopefully as it's still emersed I won't have too much trouble keeping it nice and flat. I am a bit worried what will happen when I fill it up though!! Will have an UP inline diffuser on it by that stage though, so hopefully I will be able to get enough CO2 in there. Might buy a second inline diffuser for the inlet tube too and split the CO2, assuming this might make it more efficient?

i forgot about you doing a dry start so yeah should be fine, will you be able to fill it though?? itd look so good with a dart frog in there. id love to see a dart frog tank/viv scaped by a aquarist. wonder if any on this site have one the dsm and ended up keeping it so and getting a frog in there?

anyways, i think with the UP deffuser you should be fine, it creats a fine mist and if flow is well the mist will be run though the filter again anyways. Just really blast it and keep on top of water changes and trimming and dont be to eager to get life in there haha.

cheers mate

i forgot about you doing a dry start so yeah should be fine, will you be able to fill it though?? itd look so good with a dart frog in there. id love to see a dart frog tank/viv scaped by a aquarist. wonder if any on this site have one the dsm and ended up keeping it so and getting a frog in there?

I do love dart frogs, but I will definitely fill this! Seems like it should be fine given excessive CO2 when you first fill it until the plants adapt.

anyways, i think with the UP deffuser you should be fine, it creats a fine mist and if flow is well the mist will be run though the filter again anyways. Just really blast it and keep on top of water changes and trimming and dont be to eager to get life in there haha.

I've never been too keep to have fish in my plant tanks surprisingly - I'm not used to having fish any more from having all these tiny setups! I used to have several fish tanks set up, but now I've only got a Rio180 and my solitary baileyi puffer. I never thought I'd see the day when I only had one fish (the Malawi's downstairs don't count!!).

I'm already thinking of going for something boring like Hengali Rasboras or similar. Thought about Guppies (again, never thought I'd see the day) or Threadfins, but I reckon they'll look a bit big, and better in a more densely planted tank.

I'm hoping to receive my atomizer today, but we'll see.....

Just been having a look at the HC that's in there now, and there does seem to be some horizontal growth which is nice. There's one small patch that's gone a bit yellow, but new leaves seem to be coming through. The two pots I haven't used are also going strong.

Just had a notification from plantedtanks.co.uk that the rest of my plants are now dispatched :)

Re: Tom's Mini M - Fully Planted

Plants arrived :)

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

Overall great communication and organisation from plantedtanks.co.uk. The Glosso isn't great - quite yellow and squashed, so only used about 1/4 of what arrived. Tenellus was good, as was the Hairgrass. Crypts were nice, but not much in the way of roots. Looks like they've been chopped out from where they were grown, but hopefully will shoot some more growth down soon enough. Overall, good value for money definitely. I would recommend and use both companies again, with the Aquafleur from theplanttank.co.uk being best on quality, portion size and delivery times.

Planted - Not a great shot. Handheld@ISO 800

ResizeAssistant-2-5.jpg

Getting there....
Tom

Re: Tom's Mini M - Fully Planted

I like Planted Tank, cheap plants, but the issue has always been the same, some plants look just like cuttings.
:)

They do take over quickly, and are strong plants. And cheap!

Back