• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too Much Light? Lights on hours?

creedjonny22

Seedling
Hi Guys, just planted my aqua scape and had a question about the lighting/co2. What times should I put the lights on and off? Is there such a thing as too much light? Should the Co2 be on for the same time as the lights are on? Does it harm the fish if the lights are on too long? Pictures attached.
Thank you in advance.
fdc2170cbdcf48499679eac98e0e289f.jpg
02bf3b8de9df42b811b650233f3b3199.jpg
4bf6d9bd5c6dcbff84d6fd3f583d5ee4.jpg
58954084359dfa9685f7eaaf39042e28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd go for a maximum of about 12 hours for the fish, that way you can maintain a day/night cycle. But, you'll probably need less than that (some people only run 4-6 hours) to avoid algae. Most people go for as long as possible, without creating an algae farm, as they want to see in. The algae farm point depends on all sorts like lights, intensity, how close to the tank, plant mass, CO2, floating plant coverage etc.

Put the lights on anytime that suits you, mine are 5pm to 11pm as I want to see the fish when I'm home

Yes, the more light you have the more problems with algae you'll come across as you'll have to chase it by upping co2 and ferts to accommdate it

General consensus is co2 on an hour or 2 before lights and off an hour before lights off but this depends on your tank and setup and should be tailored to suit your needs to get a stable routine

We need a lot more information before we can suggest things.

1. How big is the tank ?
2. Have you got at least x10 filter turn over of tank volume if using CO2.
3. What are lights and their lumen values ?
4. How is CO2 injected and distributed ?
5. What is your fertilisation scheme ?

From initial guesses with apparent lack of filtration rate, lack of fertiliser, poor CO2 injection & distribution, no fertilisers, too brighter lights on for too long, you are only a couple of days away from melting all your plants and converting them very successfully to algae :(.

Back