• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

transfering aquatic plants from a local pond

neilsc

hi folks,
There is a small lake/large pond nearby that has a rather nice stem plant growing in it.
I wonder if its a good idea or not, to take a cutting or two and see if it takes to my new no filter, no heater project as I set it up.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

hi,
I did manage to get a couple of pictures of local pond plants, although not the one I intended!(ill need longer wellies for that:)).
Any idea what the attached plants are and might they transfer to an unheated bowl?

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_114630.jpg
    IMG_20230129_114630.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230129_114704.jpg
    IMG_20230129_114704.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
I think the second one is creeping jenny, Lysimachia nummularia. If it is, it's brilliant for covering the edges as it's terrestrial but survives happily in water too. And it makes yellow flowers.

Hi all,

Definitely could be, if that is a stem, but I think it is a leaf and, assuming it is, I'm 99% certain it is <"Watercress">.

That <"looks right">.

cheers Darrel

Interesting. Until now I did not know it would live under water... We have lots of ground ivy or creeping charlie which supposedly grows fine submerged as well. Haven't seen it in our lake though, but plenty grows on the shoreline in the summer. Not sure if it would be tropical tank friendly?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,
Not sure if it would be tropical tank friendly?
Watercress isn't. I've thrown a bunch in the <"pond for the summer">, but it never lasts long. You can see a sad flowering bit in between the water mint (Mentha aquatica) and Iris to the right of the photo.

pond_view_towards_house1-jpg.62308

Interesting. Until now I did not know it would live under water..
Often submerged through the winter and then emerged in the summer. It likes flowing limy water and they <"still cultivate it locally to me">.

cheers Darrel

The plant we call Ground Ivy is <"Glechoma hederacea"> and definitely not aquatic.

As usual its almost impossible for me to figure out what is what with some of these plants... Apparently there are lots of Creeping Charlie's. I will have to take some pictures in the spring and run it by you to figure out what it is... I think what we have is this one. Starts at the paragraph: "Yet another plant commonly referred to as creeping charlie is Micromeria brownei, s"
and futher down the text; " For instance, Micromeria brownei can be situated midground inside a fish tank. The creeping charlie is perfectly at home totally submerged under water. If a plant floats to the surface then it should typically produce flowers. This adds a new dimension to some of the generic aquatic flora which is often used in many tank displays."

Looks like this - but I haven't seen it in the water only on our shoreline, so I am starting to doubt its actually this one:

220px-Clinopodium_brownei_imported_from_iNaturalist_photo_59710085_on_28_March_2020.jpg

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I had the opposite result with watercress than Darrel but it was always grown in water with a high fish load. I used it as a vegetable filter for our pond and growing emersed in my clown loach tank with both resulting in vigorous, rampant growth, to a point it was a real pain.

(where I believe it gets a bit chilly?)
As the saying goes - it gets colder than Penguins snot here. In the lower 48 states of the United States, Minnesota is the 2nd coldest state in the winter closely behind neighboring North Dakota. From mid spring to early fall its very nice here especially in the southern part of the state.

Cheers,
Michael

As the saying goes - it gets colder than Penguins snot here. In the lower 48 states of the United States, Minnesota is the 2nd coldest state in the winter closely behind neighboring North Dakota. From mid spring to early fall its very nice here especially in the southern part of the state.

Cheers,
Michael
Sounds nice (Meant seriously).

Sounds nice (Meant seriously).
Sure thing. We really do enjoy our seasons here actually. The harsh winter can be a bit taxing (and the heating bill is brutal :) ), but then again, its "only" 2.5-3 months where it's really, really cold and we do have plenty of cool (pun intended) activities going on in the winter - mostly revolving around alcohol consumption - such as ice fishing :lol: We do not get as much snow as many assume compared to say the upper east that often gets crazy amounts of snow that relatively quickly melts, but the snow we get stays throughout the winter due to the consistent low temps.

Cheers,
Michael

Definitely be careful before adding to the aquarium ,as Darrel said What Iusually do sort of grow them in a plastic tub for a time, otherwise they can bring all-sorts in like Pond Snails even worse species of larvae what will affect small fish

Back