• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tubing distance

juwelkeeper

Seedling
I would like to split my regulator into feeding a second tank. But the distance from the regulator and co2 bottle is about 12 feet away from the second tank. Would this affect the efficiency of the supply to the second tank being that far away. Also Its a 6ft tank that holds 680 litres and i noticed that the Atomizers and diffusers are only rated to 500 ltrs on the co2 market and co2 art website. Is there a decent product out there that would push out enough co2 for a 680 ltr tank

You need to split before the needle valve or else the gas will take the path of least resistance. In your case you will not get any CO2 in tank at end of long tube.
upload_2018-4-25_16-1-43.png

You need like this, instead of CO2 going to one tank, go to two tanks. The two needle valves allow individual tank control.

However 680litre is monsterously large and you will certainly have issues getting enough CO2 into the via a single diffuser. See Zeus's wonderful journal how he managed to achieve first time algae free success with two diffusers and some interestingly clever plumbing. (and clever PLC control...following my lead...:D).
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/olympus-is-calling.43046/

Surely, a 680l tank will have a monsterous stand which will allow storage of monsterous amounts of CO2 cylinders that will be necessary ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-25_16-0-48.png
    upload_2018-4-25_16-0-48.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks ian_m for the reply and the thread regarding the plumbing. Actually i think i had my stupid thinking head on, i would be better disconnecting the equipment from my smaller 150 ltr tank and feeding the bigger tank with the shortest distance, and supplementing the smaller tank with the extended 12ft tube. I was trying to save money if i didn't have to buy another co2 regulator kit. But if the distance is a problem i might have to bite the bullet and buy another kit.

Might be better to have two kits, as if from one tank and solenoid, both will be on same time schedule, which you certainly wouldn't want if setting up a new tank.

I think, unfortunately, as you have emptied your wallet on 680 litres, you are going to need another well filled wallet to support a planted tank in it. You are looking at needing a filtration rate of x10 tank volume, so looking at 6800litres/hour at least.

2 times Fluval FX6 would be my choice at 2200 litres per hour each + a couple of power heads. FX6 are about £250 each.
Lighting will not be cheap, as generally large tanks start getting deep, so looking at least 4 Kessil Tuna Suns A160we (same as Zeus) @ £240 each.
Ferts dosing will be "large". You are looking at dosing 100ml odd ferts per day, normal Magnus etc won't dose this large, so custom dosing pumps will have to be used (see Zeus again).

So you will need over £1500 before pipes, substrate, plants, more lights, ferts, CO2 kit, multiple diffusers (PLC controller)...

If you get significant change from £2500 I will eat.....my packed lunch...:p

Did I mention, see Zeus's journal for how to do big tank well, but does require a substantial budget. Don't even think about RO water for a tank that size..simply on cost.:oldman:

Back