• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Hi all,

That is the one for me, no <"magic bullets">, I think you are right, it might be useful in the start-up, but there is some evidence that a "Twinstar" <"damages mosses"> in the longer term, probably by the <"same mechanism"> that kills cyanobacteria (BGA) etc.

Dark chocolate digestive and a <"filter coffee">?

If you ever feel tempted to buy a Twinstar, just remember this picture, don't buy it and then make a small <"donation to the forum"> instead.

cheers Darrel

It is fitting that you’ve the one thousandth post on this @dw1305 , no magic bullets!!!

They use these at @Aquarium Gardens and it's fun to see the bubbles swoosh up periodically. I asked them about it - I was wondering if it were some kind of ultrafine CO2 diffuser but I couldn't see where the gas supply was. They (Dave?) told me it is not a CO2 diffuser and it worked by electrolyzing the water and whilst they weren't needed and possibly didn't do anything useful, they still had them anyway.

Some interesting reading enclosed. The gas released is hydrogen and chlorine, not oxygen. Actually it's all really complicated and I have no idea what is actually going on. 😜

Attachments

• electrolysis.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Crikey, this thread just keeps going round and round in circles. I’m confused now though. I thought we’d reached some sort of consensus. It’s not an electrolysis machine, but produces nanobubbles of oxygen.

Nanobubbles have unique properties that allow them to accumulate in water to create a reserve of entrained oxygen - up to 20% greater than the gas saturation point. So DO remains stable longer, and enhances biological and chemical processes that benefit water quality and therefore our tanks.

It probably doesn’t prevent algae directly but produces conditions that are particularly conducive to plant health. Either way, the mist of bubbles just looks cool

P.S. someone should definitely contact Guinness World Records. This has got to be the longest thread of any forum ever.

P.S. someone should definitely contact Guinness World Records. This has got to be the longest thread of any forum ever.
I did. They said they did not have the resources to read 51 pages of a forum. Shame though, UKAPS would have won. :D

I get the feeling that people are just trying this to a 100-page thread now.

Roy Castle is not with us any more, guys!!

😀

Back